• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I expect Henderson, Robinson and Horie to be gone. Weeks and PAE to stick round presumably. I'd like to see leafa get a run some time soon.

I think Horie will stay another year. He was cover for Ged, who hasn't needed it. If Ged retires, Shota will be kept.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
It wasn't that long ago the Rebels were looking pretty damn good on the corporate front, a good profile, a steady ship, some good sponsors, some good management to deal with a bad news ex sponsor.

Pretty sure the ceo didn't punch his captain. So from where I sit deflecting the conversation that way isn't helping the players, the support crew, or the fans, true false or indifferent as to how liked the ceo is.

Beale is a gifted, likeable time bomb. We all want him to be better, but at what price our reputation in a highly competitive market when rugby union tries to position itself as the respectable code?

As for the Rebels, loved your game v Force boys. You wobbled, you teetered, but you found your cojones and you came out on top. Just as bloody well.

Re signings, I want them all to stay. I think the signs of greatness are there. Yes, I include Beale. If he can earn the forgiveness of his team he can earn mine, but he has a long road, I hope he can stick it. He has two roads before him. One has pain, work, blood and tears on it. The other leads to anonymity, an also-ran on the back pages of history.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
all this talk of ged robinson leaving - he's been a very consistent player for us and regularly has top stats in the hooker department in aus. and..he's only 29. i would be very surprised to see him go anywhere for a couple years.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
However our foreign spots are reducing, that's the biggest issue. Not many players (nor their agents) will agree to 1 year contracts to suit that.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
yes, but we'll still have what, four foreign spots next year? delve is going.
that leaves ged, fugilaster? horie, and king i think as woodward can qualify for Australia.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd very much like to see us play this team this week:

1. Henderson
2. Ged
3. Weekes
4. Jones
5. Pyle
6. Reid (because Delve is probably injured)
7. Fugistaller
8. Higgers

9. Phipps
10. O'Connor
11. Vuna
12. Sidey (I can see no clear separation between him and Mitchell form wise and since he played okay in a win he should stay)
13. Inman
14. Kingi
15. Woodward

Interesting selections bolded.

Thoughts?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
yes, but we'll still have what, four foreign spots next year? delve is going.
that leaves ged, fugilaster? horie, and king i think as woodward can qualify for Australia.
King will be gone, loads of depth at lock and his been unlucky with injuries.

King will be gone, to much depth at lock and he isn't knocking the door down to take Pyle, Jones or Neville's spot. Than you include Thompson and his 5th in line for a start.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
all this talk of ged robinson leaving - he's been a very consistent player for us and regularly has top stats in the hooker department in aus. and..he's only 29. i would be very surprised to see him go anywhere for a couple years.

He is weak in both the scrum and lineout. He goes alright around the field but he's not the type of cornerstone player you need at hooker.

There is a reason Kiwi teams pass on fringe players like Ged. The vast majority are not up to the standard. The exception are the guys that come over early in their careers like Harris and Woodward.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Mitchell is a better player than Sidey. But I dont greatly rate either.

I'd love to see the rebels give one of the younger guys like Roberts or Hegarty a run at 12.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
King will be gone, loads of depth at lock and his been unlucky with injuries.

King will be gone, to much depth at lock and he isn't knocking the door down to take Pyle, Jones or Neville's spot. Than you include Thompson and his 5th in line for a start.

King is a great rugby player. We haven't seen him more because of injury than talent.

I'd rate him ahead of Thompson in raw talent and word is he just got on the park in club footy. Don't underestimate him.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Clear selection decisions:
- Jones at lock
- JOC (James O'Connor) at fly-half
- Woodward at fullback
- Vuna must start

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Clear selection decisions:
- Jones at lock
- JOC (James O'Connor) at fly-half
- Woodward at fullback
- Vuna must start

Great minds think alike.

The trouble is, with Delve injured (probably) and moving Jones to lock you open up the 6.

Who starts there? I suggested read but it's certainly not an open/shut case.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
What about starting Saffy, Higgers and Reid/Fuglistaller in the back row?

Saffy hasn't been too impressive this season. Which is understandable, he's recovered from the messy stuff and probably didn't get to go all out this preseason.

I wouldn't be starting him by preference.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Saffy hasn't been too impressive this season. Which is understandable, he's recovered from the messy stuff and probably didn't get to go all out this preseason.

I wouldn't be starting him by preference.

I agree, but this is about coming up with an option if Delve is injured right?

Neville has also been really average this season.

Maybe Fuglistaller at 6 and Reid at 7 could be worth trying?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I agree, but this is about coming up with an option if Delve is injured right?

Neville has also been really average this season.

Maybe Fuglistaller at 6 and Reid at 7 could be worth trying?

I'd switch them.

Reid is a big hitter who is defined as an opensider because he keeps himself busy whereas Fugistaller is a dictionary definition opensider with a fair bit of pace and is effective at the ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.