• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sir Arthur Higgins - is it definitely a yellow though?

It certainly looks that way at full speed but when it is slowed town, the defender hits him front on with his shoulder in the correct position to make a legal tackle.

The hit is so hard and the timing perfect which combined with the attacking player having just passed the ball and thus not being ready for contact results in an ugly scene.

If the player being tackled goes to ground so quickly it is hard for the defender to wrap their arms around even when they're in a position to do so.

Of course it is hard to see on that video where exactly the shoulder impacts the defender. If it hits him in the head, it's definitely a yellow. If it doesn't, then I think it's a legitimate tackle.

If he hasn't contacted the player's head, then I don't think it's a shoulder charge but a legitimate front on tackle. You're always taught to hit with the shoulder first.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sir Arthur Higgins - is it definitely a yellow though?

It certainly looks that way at full speed but when it is slowed town, the defender hits him front on with his shoulder in the correct position to make a legal tackle.

The hit is so hard and the timing perfect which combined with the attacking player having just passed the ball and thus not being ready for contact results in an ugly scene.

If the player being tackled goes to ground so quickly it is hard for the defender to wrap their arms around even when they're in a position to do so.

Of course it is hard to see on that video where exactly the shoulder impacts the defender. If it hits him in the head, it's definitely a yellow. If it doesn't, then I think it's a legitimate tackle.

If he hasn't contacted the player's head, then I don't think it's a shoulder charge but a legitimate front on tackle. You're always taught to hit with the shoulder first.

Yes, in my opinion it is definitely a yellow. It is quite hard to imagine any other outcome.

Even though it was at speed, the tackler at no stage made any attempt to use his arms. You won't generally lead with the shoulder that high unless you are looking to put a shoulder charge on.

Then there is the other issue of the height. By the looks of it, the shoulder made contact on the chin, if not just below.

Take your pick, high tackle, shoulder charge, or both.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
i got the distinct impression it hit evans in the jaw

I don't agree with that.

But I do agree with it being a yellow, he rolls his shoulder in a war to maximise contact, not wrap his arms.

In another news I don't know if Tonga started it, in the video with full footage at the ruck you can see a Canadian standing over a guy off the ball. But then again, I didn't see the full game because they haven't seen fit to air it in Aus.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
well at least we agree its a yellow - i dont see how you think he didn't hit him high, but its a moot point now.

you can rewatch the full game online at rugbycanada.ca or i think it is on youtube as well.

the game was shown live on setanta - all pacific nations games have been.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't agree with that.

But I do agree with it being a yellow, he rolls his shoulder in a war to maximise contact, not wrap his arms.

In another news I don't know if Tonga started it, in the video with full footage at the ruck you can see a Canadian standing over a guy off the ball. But then again, I didn't see the full game because they haven't seen fit to air it in Aus.
It was aired on Setanta.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'm sure the cuts selected don't give a balanced view of the match, but the Tongans look like park-grade thugs in the clip.

I love a big hit, but there's a fine line between putting on a legal and honest shot and doing so with the intent to injure.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
As a former ref I strongly urged all tacklers to aim below the armpits, any tackles slightly off line SHOULDN'T result in head highs. The Tongan fullback made no effort to go low and rolled his shoulder into the Canadian players neck/chin region. Red for me. And a stern talking to the Tongan management to aim lower.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Glad to see we're seen as stiffer competition than the force as the Brumbies prepare for the finals :)

Somehow I think they may struggle to make it happen, but let's see what happens.

Well the Super Rugby draw is a bit stupid, all Australian teams have a bye after the test series and the week completely off. Meaning only one game after the break.

So the Brumbies and Reds have one game they can't afford to drop to find form for the finals.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well the Super Rugby draw is a bit stupid, all Australian teams have a bye after the test series and the week completely off. Meaning only one game after the break.

So the Brumbies and Reds have one game they can't afford to drop to find form for the finals.

No they don't.

The second last round is on the 5th and 6th of July which is when the third Lions test is.

The last round of Super Rugby is the following weekend.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
does your stadium have stands?
for my money the best place to play it, though its unlikely to happen would be Melbourne Uni oval.
no better ground in melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.