• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

zzzzz. there were two many better hookers in the aus conference last year than Ged, .

Couldn't throw straight to save himself; especially under a bit of pressure, which they usually always were (attacking or defending 22).

To be fair though, Freier was just as bad.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Yeah, our throwing was pretty bad. It was alright at the start of the season, and it got dramatically worse.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I saw these Tweets yesterday and have to say I agree with Gerrard, PI know there is plenty of Phipps haters but he is still the first Wallaby through the Rebels and did win Australian Super Rugby Rookie of the year in his first season.

I tend to think its always more complex than what it seems outside. Phipps very well may be looking into a return to NSW. If that is the case, why shouldn't the Rebels look at other options?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I tend to think its always more complex than what it seems outside. Phipps very well may be looking into a return to NSW. If that is the case, why shouldn't the Rebels look at other options?
I'd say Gerrard would have messaged Phipps to find out what's going on, think Gerrard is a bit wiser than the younger players around and wouldn't go shooting off tweets like this for nothing.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
You think?

Gerrard is a dick. He fired a few pot shots at Deans and the Wallabies after he was overlooked for selection a couple of years back. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he posted something that he came to regret.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Shit. Is he going to be ok to play next Friday? If not, it would be the third Force vs Rebels game he's missed since moving across. Force voodoo mayhaps?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Shit. Is he going to be ok to play next Friday? If not, it would be the third Force vs Rebels game he's missed since moving across. Force voodoo mayhaps?

Decent cut

BCp9H4kCYAEJC5c.jpg:large

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
back to the game :)

i thought some improvement on last year. still a few of the same errors though, turning over attacking ball at a lineout twice and and at least one attacking scrum and one defensive scrum late in the game.

some of the one on one defence was pretty poor. too many soft tries last night.

but a lot of positives. attack vastly improved (on the whole) 7 tries including a couple off first phase movements, however once or twice the "2nd man" plays were predictable and at a ponderous pace, being easily read by the canes defence and shut down way behind the gain line. thought beale, sidey and inman worked well together. phipps had a good game. kingi (much to my surprise) played well when he came on, taking all the right options imo. vuna is a big loss, neither winger looked dangerous and physically dwarfed by the canes pair ( yes i know how big savea is !). roberts cameo at the end showed promise and english ran hard as well.

finally the "piggies" are winning the collisions when going forward. i thought the backrow were great especially fuglistaller (winning a couple of early turnovers) and jones (hard running with the ball). jordy reid and dwyer did some good work at the end, although reid got pinged twice for not releasing in the tackle, once very unfairly. the lineout work was generally good albeit with my earlier complaint. scrummaging just so so, at times we were under a lot of presuure on our ball.

what do others think ?

D

daz

i thought some improvement on last year. still a few of the same errors though, turning over attacking ball at a lineout twice

True, but then we had two tries from attacking lineouts. I thought it nothing less than a friggin' miracle.

some of the one on one defence was pretty poor. too many soft tries last night.

I'm going to blame JOC (James O'Connor) for a few of those. His coverage as a sweeping defender at 15 was almost non-existant at times.

thought beale, sidey and inman worked well together. phipps had a good game.

The communication between Inman, Sidey, Beale and to a lesser extent JOC (James O'Connor) was really tight. I think Inman and Sidey at 13 and 12 worked ver, very well. But then again, my man-love for Inman is unshakeable ;)

vuna is a big loss, neither winger looked dangerous and physically dwarfed by the canes pair ( yes i know how big savea is !).

Alex Rockobococococo looked the good from time to time. His chase downs prevented at least 2 Canes tries, and he has a sublime tackling technique.

the lineout work was generally good albeit with my earlier complaint. scrummaging just so so, at times we were under a lot of presuure on our ball.

In general, I agree. Scrums were average. Yes, lots of pressure at times, but to be fair, we only lost by 2 and the final result was a cricket score, so fair to say the Canes had similar issues in defence.

All in all, a nice hitout. Delve was superb as usual, and after the game I asked Beale if that smashing he received under the highball felt as hard as it looked. His response was that he was going to feel that for the rest of his life.

Anyway, enough of the playtime. School is now out and the real thing is about to start.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
forgot to say, when the F is inman going to get a pair of shorts that fit him !:rolleyes:

(could possibly have used the wrong emoticon here?)

Status
Not open for further replies.