• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
2013 is shaping up to be a very significant year for the Rebels. It will be the year that will see the departure of many of the players hired at the inception of the franchise. Already we have heard that Delve and Cipriani are returning overseas; I suspect they will not be the only ones.

Trade talk has begun in earnest. The big name that everyone is talking about at the moment is David Pocock. It would be surprising to see him come to the Rebels in 2013 but where there is smoke there is fire, perhaps.

An interesting tidbit I discovered when perusing the online rugby papers this weekend was in this article by Brett Harris: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...h-graham-to-quit/story-e6frg7o6-1226334847548

But the Force may have already lost hooker Nathan Charles, who is expected to join the Melbourne Rebels next year.

Charles has impressed many and this looks to be a good get by the Rebels in the vein of Inman's recruitment this year. A young up-and-comer who hasn't quite gotten himself a big name yet.

Another interesting tidbit was this in this: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ckibbin-mitchell/story-e6frg7o6-1226334787717

NSW Waratahs halfback Brendan McKibbin and Melbourne Rebels winger Lachlan Mitchell will be on opposite sides in the Super Rugby game in Sydney tonight.
But by this time next year they could well be teammates in the Scotland team.
It is understood the Scottish Rugby Union is keen for McKibbin and Mitchell to move to Europe to play Test rugby.
McKibbin was born in Scotland, while Mitchell's mother is Scottish.

For mine, Mitchell has come on in spades this year. I wish we could give his heart to every one of the Rebels players; we'd be unstoppable in that case. However, he is also probably the least physcially gifted Super Rugby player I am aware of. So, I have mixed feelings about this news. The above article is correct in its assertion that Mitchell is probably never going to see Wallaby honours. As such, for his sake I would almost prefer to see him go and enjoy representative rugby. But as I said, his ticker is amazing and I think he's one of those players who is worth having around a side just to show all the thoroughbreds what hard work is.

Aside from trade talk, there remains an interesting question posed by the impending departure of Cipriani. Who will be the Rebels 5/8th in 2013? Most seem to think it will be JOC (James O'Connor), but it was observed that KB (Kurtley Beale) moved into the 10 spot when Cips went off against the Brumbies. Further, there was speculation regarding the Rebels and Sam Lane at the start of the season. Given the time he has spent with the Reds, it will be interesting to see where he ends up next year; despite his injury I would lay odds that he'll get a super contract in 2013, just where is the interesting question.

Also, there is the question of how can we possibly replace Gareth Delve? Being the Rebels most consistent player in the first two years of the franchise, his departure will be more keenly felt than that of Cips. Personally, I have my own theory that we might see one L. Jones at the back of the scrum in 2013, if we can find a suitable locking partner for Pyle. Calderyn Neville does spring to mind and it will be interesting if he has come on at all in the EPS.

Anyway, as I said 2013 is a very significant year with a lot of big questions to be asked and hopefully the squad will take on more of a specifically recruited appearance, rather than the somewhat cobbled together nature it has had in the first two.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
One thing that is getting alittle old us that when ever a player of note comes out of contract he is said ti be going to the rebels. It's like a default line with the jurnos now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
On the 2012 Rebels thread the recruitment of new players for 2013 was discussed.

The trouble is, or at least was when I looked at it last, that some of the contract end dates of Rebels players are not known. The old contract list wiki had more queries about the end dates of the players than certainties.

If folks could start posting the end dates of players for the current roster we could come up with a recruitment strategy for the team.

Please do not list end dates of contracts for players unless a link to the info, which mentions the contract term, is provided.

On the old contract wiki there was uncertainty about Tessman, Blake, Henderson, Pyle, Byrnes, Campbell, Jones, Davidson, Saffy, Lipman, Phipps, Huxley, Johansson, Vuna and Gerrard.

There was doubt on Delve and Mitchell also but because of articles mentioning likely moves by them we can probably take it that their contracts terminate this year.

Reminder - no info without a link.

Thanks

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Certain losses: Delve, Cipriani, Mortlock, Freier
Potential losses: Mitchell, Gerrard, Kingi

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think lane would be an excellent signing at 10. He would complement JOC (James O'Connor) perfectly. And im pretty sure it would mean the rebels have both left and right foot kicking options which is a strength for any team.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
well they didn't resign delve or mitchell last year and its probably a safe bet that neither were on three year contracts, meaning they were on two year...so they probably expire this year.
The rebels did resign pyle and phipps.......though didn't sign kingi up.....great.
I am a big mitchell fan. he's a little fella with a fantastic work rate and he gets the job done. he's not digby ioane but there's a reason he's played in what...all but 1 rebels game in two years? and that's cause he's got heart and a work rate matched probably only by delve and saffy..
that said.....he's probably way down on the pecking order for wallaby wings after digby, oconnor, shipperly, kingston, speight, tomane and vuna....which is potentially unfair as he's much more versatile and smarter than a fair few of those guys...regardless, if glasgow or edinburgh or anyone else in europe wants to offer him a contract, i wouldn't begrudge him. Scots will have Lamont (slowing down and nearly 30), evans, and tim visser on the wings. i'd suggest mitchell would be on the bench at least

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I would LOVE to see the Jenkins brothers play at the Rebels next year.

They'd both come cheap, both play in positions that likely need to be filled, they've played in a Damien Hill coaching system, and the crowds would love the novelty value if they were on the park at the same time.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Raised this in the 2012/Sevens thread, we should pickup Alan Faalavaau.

Agreed but on an EPS contract. Infact I think it's a travesty the majority of EPS contracts haven't gone to Victorian players, it seems that that level of contract is a perfect fit for blooding locals.

P

philsale

Sure, tape is expensive - I just hate to see people hanging up the boots at the same age as, well, me!

I think he should play on for a bit longer to perpetuate my delusions of youth.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I would LOVE to see the Jenkins brothers play at the Rebels next year.

They'd both come cheap, both play in positions that likely need to be filled, they've played in a Damien Hill coaching system, and the crowds would love the novelty value if they were on the park at the same time.

I would also love to see this. Do we know if they are trying to recruit them?

kronic

John Solomon (38)
The manufactures of duck tape cant keep up with the damands from the rebels to try and hold him together so he will have to give it up...just a guess
Correct. Unfortunately, like Mortlock, the body is falling apart.

Hopefully will get his 100th Super cap before then though, plenty of game. His currently on 98 IIRC.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I would also love to see this. Do we know if they are trying to recruit them?

No, but considering Jono has picked up a pretty respectable amount of super caps (and will not probably not be needed at the Tahs with Hooper contracted and either Cutch or Alcock to stick around) and Ed captaining a Aussie 7s side of reasonable success, you'd hope someone would be eyeing them off as a double team (everyone loves the Faingaas after all).

You'd say the only two clubs that will likely need two players of their positions and experience level in 2013 will be us and the Force, and we have their former coach.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
They both turn 26 this year (like myself). We probably need to look say 4 more years younger and really develop/hold onto them.

Pyle & Jones are great examples of this, hope to see these boys play 100 games for the Rebs, as captain/vice-captain combo.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
They both turn 26 this year (like myself). We probably need to look say 4 more years younger and really develop/hold onto them.

Pyle & Jones are great examples of this, hope to see these boys play 100 games for the Rebs, as captain/vice-captain combo.

They're 26 year olds with a small amount of professional rugger to their names which is vastly different then say a Mortlock or a Frier who have been run down over the years.

Plus, how long do you want to get out of these blokes? At 26 and fresh you could easily get 4-6 years out of them.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
They're 26 year olds with a small amount of professional rugger to their names which is vastly different then say a Mortlock or a Frier who have been run down over the years.

Plus, how long do you want to get out of these blokes? At 26 and fresh you could easily get 4-6 years out of them.
Like I said, if we are going to hunt someone, we want to get some years out of them.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Best f**king news

Nick Phipps, Nic Stirzaker, Richard Kingi, Lachie Mitchel;, Hugh Pyle, Laurie Weeks and Cadeyrn Neville have all agreed to new deals.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Best f**king news

Nick Phipps, Nic Stirzaker, Richard Kingi, Lachie Mitchel;, Hugh Pyle, Laurie Weeks and Cadeyrn Neville have all agreed to new deals.

Shame, I heard he was going to Scotland and I was very enthused to see him running around in an international jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.