• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
does your stadium have stands?
for my money the best place to play it, though its unlikely to happen would be Melbourne Uni oval.
no better ground in melbourne

Ahh Melbourne Uni. After playing on the number 1 pitch I could never get the smell of that mud out of my kit. Flat track but very boggy for my linking - perhaps they fixed it up.

I don't know about recent history, but Box Hill was always the ground for big games. They typically host the VRU grand finals, plenty of viewing space (on the hill) and heaps of parking. Public transport is close too (5 min walk).

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Ahh Melbourne Uni. After playing on the number 1 pitch I could never get the smell of that mud out of my kit. Flat track but very boggy for my linking - perhaps they fixed it up.

I don't know about recent history, but Box Hill was always the ground for big games. They typically host the VRU grand finals, plenty of viewing space (on the hill) and heaps of parking. Public transport is close too (5 min walk).

Jeez, now you're taking me back. My training kit would stink to high heavens every week.

I tend to agree with you about Box Hill. Really good location for watching rugby at a surburban venue. Substantially better than Quins.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I tend to agree with you about Box Hill. Really good location for watching rugby at a surburban venue. Substantially better than Quins.
Not at this time of year, this is a pic of Box hill a couple of weeks ago

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash3/p480x480/182925_521673827882582_1227085368_n.jpg

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

Fair point, I was going to say I wasn't sure about how the drainage was, given the location of the main paddock but I couldn't remember ever playing on a substantially wet pitch there so I figured the drainage was good.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Fair point, I was going to say I wasn't sure about how the drainage was, given the location of the main paddock but I couldn't remember ever playing on a substantially wet pitch there so I figured the drainage was good.

The whole field at Box Hill (including the Archery) is the retarding basin for Gardiner's creek, one of the bigger ones on the east side. About 12 - 13 years ago I know the council invested in fixing the drainage on both fields; handy when one of the committee members also worked at the council (in the public spaces area) and could help push it all along :)

Quins runs parallel with the creek downstream but is also a flood plain for the wetlands down in Ashwood/Ashburton. It too has seen its fair share of muddy times, although they have done some recent work to reinstate the turf. didn't see any work on drainage though, but I must admit they have done good work in upgrading the change rooms all those years back.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash3/p480x480/182925_521673827882582_1227085368_n.jpg

Yep, that's sadly gonna happen. I think the Clubroom still has a picture hanging where someone was paddling around in a Kayak. I remember the last time I played with this much water was 2004, we were playing Kiwi-Hawthorn and we had a guess try scored against us because the ref couldn't see the try line. Cost us a finals spot that year. The firsts didn't fair an better; they called their match off at half-time because half of the kiwi-hawthorn boys had hypothermia.

The Beer after the match made up for it all.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Jeez, now you're taking me back. My training kit would stink to high heavens every week.

If I can recall even worse mud - the Croydon grounds. I played juniors up there and in the middle of winter it would just be one bog mud puddle. The clean green/white jumpers would just be black after about 5min. And the smell of that mud could outlast religion.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Nope, it's a day match...

The RaboDirect Rebels commitment to the grass roots of Rugby in Victoria continues, with the Rebels taking on the ACT Brumbies in Melbourne's inner suburb of Ashwood on Thursday 4 July, from 1.30pm.

You are correct, Box Hill doesn't have floodlights over Pitch 1, just over Pitch 2. Probably one of the reasons why it stays in such good nick over the year.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
It's a night game. Box Hill has a poor lighting system and Quins' is excellent.

The RaboDirect Rebels commitment to the grass roots of Rugby in Victoria continues, with the Rebels taking on the ACT Brumbies in Melbourne's inner suburb of Ashwood on Thursday 4 July, from 1.30pm.

Those lights will be handy at 1-30pm. Or is there an eclipse that day.
What happens to the seat that I paid for in my membership?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fair enough. I can't imagine why they'd pick Quins then.

It's a nice ground but it's not great for viewers, even the coach goes up onto the roof to watch the games.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Fair enough. I can't imagine why they'd pick Quins then.

It's a nice ground but it's not great for viewers, even the coach goes up onto the roof to watch the games.

Not sure either. Guess Quins and VRU/Rebels have worked out some kind of deal. It would seem most of the RR matches and state rep teams train there. I often ride past at night and see rep teams train, when Quins are not training.

I'm either guessing a VRU/Rebels deal, proximity to CBD or even proximity to public transport could be a factor.

Guess I'm a little bias towards my old home paddock, but I've played on most fields in Vic and always found it to be the best for both players and spectators. The flooding was the biggest PITA, but it was a rare occurrence.

All in all I'm just stoke to see good quality footy come to a suburban ground. I'll be there with my tribe of little Rebels.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Mitchell out for one week, or effectively the rest of the year. Fairly soft if you ask me.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...le-on-simon-zebo/story-fndptz3t-1226670253797

Very soft, he does not drop, spear or drive him into the ground in any way or form. Just that he was lifted beyond parallel. The player is not hurt or worried by the tackle in any way.

diapo4d2de06957fba8f388288948e4a062d1.gif

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
Fucking bullshit. This lifting paranoia is becoming a joke.

There's no way there was anything in that tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.