• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sorry Daz but Mitch is on the bench if I picked the backline for our first game next season.

9: Burgo
10: Hegerty
11: English
12: Harris
13: Ellison
14: Shipperly
15: Crawford

21: Stirzaker
22: Inman
23: Kingston/Mitchell

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Sorry have to disagree with you DD old bean, I'd given up Ellison for lost, he is a huge signing for the team, Ahead of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Kuridrani for mine due to the experience and leadership he brings to an otherwise largely green backline.

Rapt! Granted I am a big fan, love the way that boy plays centre. And a great pairing with Inman to give the Rebels some serious starch.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Very happy that Tamati is staying on for 2 years, that's way longer than I expected him to be here. That's the end of his super rugby career most likely, he'll be off to Japan or France after that. However it's not exactly rugby club exclusive worthy, thought it would be some new signings.

I thought it was supposed to be 2 signings announced?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Fair enough, Ath. I guess I'm just feeling a bit meh about the entire thing after such a disappointing year. We've picked up a lot of depth, but I can't help but feel the lack of a good flyhalf is going to keep us down at the bottom of the table. Especially since McGahan really doesn't seem keen on letting the boys actually have a crack at things.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fair enough, Ath. I guess I'm just feeling a bit meh about the entire thing after such a disappointing year. We've picked up a lot of depth, but I can't help but feel the lack of a good flyhalf is going to keep us down at the bottom of the table. Especially since McGahan really doesn't seem keen on letting the boys actually have a crack at things.

Agree with everything except I think Bryce has got what it takes, he is only 21 and will come into 2015 with a full season under his belt nd hopefully a good NRC. After all his still only played 18 games of Super Rugby.

Wish the big announcement was a new coach, McGahan really has to improve. No excuses next season, close loses won't be accepted either. He has done no better than Hill.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Totally agree with you on Hegarty. Considering how little experience he has, he's done remarkably well. My issue with him isn't really with him actually. It's just that he doesn't seem to be the sort of flyhalf McGahan wants at all. Reckon we'll see a lot of Harris and Debreczeni in there kicking the leather off the ball next year.

Still can't believe how badly our attack has fallen off the cliff this year. Has to be rectified next year, or we need to go do some serious coach shopping.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe this will happen...

15. Hegarty
14. Crawford
13. Ellison
12. Inman
11. English/Kingston/Shipperley
10. Harris
9. Burgess

21. Stirzacker
22. *
23. *

* Assorted backs

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Totally agree with you on Hegarty. Considering how little experience he has, he's done remarkably well. My issue with him isn't really with him actually. It's just that he doesn't seem to be the sort of flyhalf McGahan wants at all. Reckon we'll see a lot of Harris and Debreczeni in there kicking the leather off the ball next year.

Still can't believe how badly our attack has fallen off the cliff this year. Has to be rectified next year, or we need to go do some serious coach shopping.

I don't disagree with Harris and Debreczeni being more McGahan style fly halves, but not because of the reason you've said.

McGahan is not a kick first coach, in fact you'll usually see the Rebels (when possible) probe for 1 or 2 phases. This is partly to get better position for the kick, but also because if they make good metres or find a hole they can hold the ball and play with it.

Standard conservative coach tactics (aka 'Jakeball) for kick returns are settle the ball with a ruck, then kick. McGahan certainly gives his troops more license to play then that.

The reason I think we'll see the two players mentioned is McGahan plays physics centric rugby, in the sense that he likes big players because they usually win contact against smaller players. He likes attritional rugby where you drill your team really well on the basics and they win because they're bigger.

All of the stuff above works, he's not an idiot. Will it work for the Rebs? I don't know.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)

What the rebels have yet to do is establish who they are to themselves and their supporters. Ever since we've entered the comp we have not shown a clear style of play that is 'ours'. We don't know what our strengths are because they change from week to week. Is it out set piece? Our breakdown? Our back line?

Our constantly changing personnel has not aided this. I guess that will always be an issue with a new team in a non-rugby state. But what we need to do is to start consolidating. i think our roster is starting to take shape. But we need to hold the players and start creating a defined axis of players that are rebels stalwarts and define who we are. The loss of Delve & Phipps was massive in this respect, because they were 2 key pillars of the team.

For me, the players that should have circles around their names for this axis are Weeks, Jones, McMahon, Burgess, Hegarty, Inman. I think they've shown the right mix of talent, character and fan engagement.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think it's important to note also that this is really the first year that TT has been properly involved in recruitment. Meaning he's been able to recruit more his style of players (big units) for next year. He was involved late last year but it would be naive to say he had a heavy hand in the the current seasons recruitment.

For that I'm willing to give him this year, I expect far better results next year and if not I'll join the chorus calling for his head. I really hope it doesn't come to that though, I still think there is a lot of potential there, building an attack around a solid set piece and defense is not a bad tactic, it just takes time. Look at the force, woeful to finals contenders in one year with a coach in his second year after making some big personnel changes.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Payto and Panda are full of good news this week. Some snippets:

WORD out of Melbourne after the June Test series is that Scott Higginbotham is looking to play overseas after the 2015 season.
The Rebels skipper has told the club he believes he is now third choice No.8 in Australia behind Wycliff Palu and Ben McCalman, and will look at options offshore after the 2015 World Cup. But Higginbotham will be interested to learn that McCalman is also looking very closely at overseas options after the World Cup.

and wait, more good news.

THE big loss of Australian under 20s vice-captain and centre Lalakai Foketi to Bayonne this week could be a sign of things to come, with new rules in France prompting clubs to target junior talent worldwide.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...itterfeed&nk=32e1e7a849e3251a097b2ff834978d5c

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Higgers is currently 3rd 8 but I can see that changing next year, McCalman is a workhorse but no more than that, and Palu is made of glass. Higgers is the closest player we have to a Read style 8. He has good read of play and is good at creating attack. In 2013 form he'd have been a close pick to Palu but of course his form dropped.

If I had to guess I'd say he was a bit stifled in 14 by the conservative game McGahan fostered, as has Pyle I believe. I completely agree with others here that McGahans conservative approach is too conservative. I can only hope he revisits the mix for the coming season.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I know it's all conjecture and a sort of accepted tactic to talk to the media about your desire to look elsewhere and put pressure on the next contract offer, but what is it with guys citing being the 2nd/3rd choice Wallaby as a reason to tuck tail and run?

I've never thought of Scott as a silver spoon sort of guy, but if true, that attitude is so patently childish.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
More good news (?):

"Former All Black Tamati Ellison is set to play out his Super Rugby career with the Melbourne Rebels after signing a two-year deal."

NZ.sports.yahoo.com

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
A million things could propel him to being a starting Wallaby.

To me, despite McCalman's terrific season, he doesn't have Higgers' game breaking abilities (some call it "class"). It's perfectly possible, perhaps even likely, that Higgers will be in better form in 2015.

What else could happen? Paul could break (it's not exactly unheard of), Fardy could move into the row, and a tens of other things.

If I was Higgers I'd try to put together some good games and he could easily be starting by the end of the rugby championship.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Number 8 is clearly one of the most physically demanding positions on the field and Palu isn't the only one who has had injury problems.

Surely Higgers would also realise that after the 2015 RWC Palu will probably retire. He's also only one injury out of the 23 right now. An injury to Fardy could potentially put him in the starting XV as well. It's hard to know who the first choice behind Fardy is right now for the 6 jersey.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
6 is an odd one.

MMM is gone. Mowen is gone. Don't think we'll see Dennis in a Yellow jersey anytime soon. None of the Reds backrowers deserve it on form. Hoiles won't get it. That leaves:

Aluea (sp?)
McCalman
Higgers
Jones
Cotrell
McMahon

Unless Link sees Jones as a like for like backup for Fardy, @6 at least, I think Higgers has the edge.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On form, Dennis really shouldn't be too far out of the mix. I reckon he was probably one backrower out of the squad for the June series.

I find it hard to see Auelua getting anywhere close. He's missed too much time through injury, he's quite old and we're getting plenty of strong ball running from Palu and Skelton.

Jones is the most like for like replacement for Fardy so he's a big chance.

I'd be surprised to see McMahon in gold this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.