• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
yep, absolutely a clever move by the Rebels. Rely on other states to develop the young talent they have signed from that state.

Like I said, if I was the QRU, I wouldn't register him. He can go play for the unicorns.

Mason going to be hard pressed to get a starting gig in West Prems, unless he's come on leaps and bounds from last year. West Colts, Yes, even then there's another bloke from the NZ system that's pretty handy..

TheNorth

Allen Oxlade (6)
The issue is that the Rebels have categorically said that none of their players will play in the Melbourne competition.

Highlighting a range of reasons; competition not good enough, agents demand their players go elsewhere, etc etc.

The issue now being without a hope of NRC or playing against rebel contracted players the competition is now significantly devalued. So even if clubs do have talented players that aren't rebels affiliated, it's better for the player to leave if they want further opportunities.

It's a very hard situation, through many factors the competition is significantly two tiered (the first tier is not even that good) and that comes down to money, the rebels influence, geographical concentration of the rugby league competition and the school rugby situation.

Now the Rebels/Rugby Vic are stuck with a conundrum...They have spent so much money the last few years on the professional team and probably expect/need success ASAP. All the while, they have pulled 95% of the rebels support out of the Vic Comp. Imagine the realistic situation of them not winning anything in the next 5 years and they are stuck with a rebuild. They either have to a) buy more stars or b) convince Victorians who have gone interstate to better comps and setups to return.

Its all very interesting because majority of the Melbourne bred players first played Dewar shield when the comp was Rebels supported and at it’s strongest (2014-2018).

Hosea and Kailea are exceptions but Faumasilli, Leota, Uelese, Tuipolotu all played Dewar.

The Rebels will have a cross to bare at some point. But for a team struggling for home support, you would think investing locally would have benefits.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
yep, absolutely a clever move by the Rebels. Rely on other states to develop the young talent they have signed from that state.

Like I said, if I was the QRU, I wouldn't register him. He can go play for the unicorns.

Reg bit cynical mate. It's ok to be dirty about it (Rebels signing the Gordons and the way it was done) but we have to be bigger than that for rugby in Australia to grow. I'd prefer them go to Melbourne/Perth than to Japan.

Plus in Mason's case I want to see him at the kennel.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
For years Melbourne Storm have used the club competitions interstate to develop their players, but they are also offer reciprocal value for doing so. If the Melbourne Rebels are using Queensland clubs to develop their players then it should also include coaching and resource support to that club. If they aren’t offering that then considerable resources are been invested for little long term return.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Dewar took a hit last year with the competition cancelled. There was around 20 players that headed interstate to get game time. A large portion of these guys won’t be back because they have found opportunities elsewhere and to be honest in better comps/programs. We wish them good luck but it’s also a sign that the tide is starting to turn with Victorian rugby and producing players. A realistic goal would be to get the comp to ACT level in the next few years and then build on from there. At this stage it’s definitely getting better and the players been produced are getting better but a long way to go.

I personally would like the Rebels to see if they can get a few fringe guys in some Mitre10 cup sides for the coming season.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
For years Melbourne Storm have used the club competitions interstate to develop their players, but they are also offer reciprocal value for doing so. If the Melbourne Rebels are using Queensland clubs to develop their players then it should also include coaching and resource support to that club. If they aren’t offering that then considerable resources are been invested for little long term return.
The storm also control what happens in most these clubs in terms of high performance. I’d love for them to associate with another club but there is no way in hell that Queensland would allow the Rebels to influence their clubs. No NRL team looks after a whole competition as their pathway.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Melbourne Storm do not have an edict to support the game in Victoria like the Melbourne Rebels do. They are a team and not attached to a governing body for a sport.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Melbourne Storm do not have an edict to support the game in Victoria like the Melbourne Rebels do. They are a team and not attached to a governing body for a sport.

Ok but if that’s the case they shouldn’t be sending Rebels players interstate to play club rugby then. If they’re going to send players interstate then they should look to support those clubs who develop their players on behalf of them.

Surely that scenario benefits both teams, that’s how NRL clubs justify their support of QLD Cup teams, because it accelerates the development of their players hosted there

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The issue is as it has been said now the NRC is gone what option do you have if you can’t make the Rebels? All the good players get recruited interstate and end up in NSW or QLD or playing in minor comps overseas

This is why the NRC is essential but of course NsW and Qld don’t see the value

Furthermore I would like to see the Rebels and Vic rugby model themselves on Tas grade cricket. Tasmania focus on developing their own first but also still pick the side off grade level performances so blokes playing in Sydney and Melbourne head down there to try and win a pro contract. This helps strengthen the comp

If we had the NRC back I would only pick those playing in Melbourne for the Rising

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
The issue is as it has been said now the NRC is gone what option do you have if you can’t make the Rebels? All the good players get recruited interstate and end up in NSW or QLD or playing in minor comps overseas

Furthermore I would like to see the Rebels and Vic rugby model themselves on Tas grade cricket. Tasmania focus on developing their own first but also still pick the side off grade level performances so blokes playing in Sydney and Melbourne head down there to try and win a pro contract. This helps strengthen the comp

If we had the NRC back I would only pick those playing in Melbourne for the Rising

One of the joys of the Jack White legacy at Brumbies was how he strengthen the relationship with the John I Dent Cup. At a members night he complained that he was losing the players at Lunch time Thu so they could drive up the Hume and train Thu Night with Shute Shield Club and return late Sunday.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I see no mention of guys like Ilikena Vudogo, Young Tonumaipea, Lewis Holland - whats the news with them?

Ilikena Vudogo & Young Tonumaipea are both in perth with the extened squad, Lewy holland was back in melbourne last weekend not sure if inj or just on the outter of selection. Seems strange he could be a very handy 12 with his passing game & hodge can play anywhere could slide into 13 nicely

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Honestly an alignment with someone like Southern Dist would be the best option if no NRC. A club that (& I mean no disrespect) that is a quality club but doesnt have the depth of an northern or inner eastern side. We could send our best colts up there to help fill there colts grades & reward some good dewar shield players with an opportunity.

I hate to mention afl but both wa & sa clubs started their own sides rather than play them against each other every week. Come the back half of the year as a rebels supporter I dont want Ed Craig running into Isaac Aedo Kailea each other I want them packing a scrum together 5 to 10 times a game. I dont want Carter Gordan trying to dummy Glen Vaihu I want then working on their combinations

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
A perfect situation for me would be;

- players not in match day squad play in local comp during the season
- at end of Trans-Tasman comp National comp is played in the space that the NRC held, this time it’s just the 5 super sides but squads will obviously be without Wallabies players. Wallabies players away and injuries occurred will offer lots of opportunities for the squad players and development players
- Rebels also create some partnership with a struggling Mitre10 side. Send 4/5 mid aged players over so they can earn another $30-50k a year, which might keep them around longer.

If something like this happened you could send players to a club like Southland

Orr
Wilkin
RHP
Hardwick

And then play a National comp with a team like this

1 Gibbon
2 Hanson
3 Eloff
4 Cummins
5 Nowlan
6 Kemeny
7 Leota
8 Wells
9 Tuttle
10 Gordon
11 Vaihu
12 Holland
13 Magnay
14 Anderson
15 Pincus

16 Craig
17 Kailea
18 Van Nek
19 Canham
20 Skelton
21 Strang
22 Vudogo
23 Tonumaipea

If other teams did similar then the 5 teams could put out some decent sides, hopefully keep some mid aged players around longer and also build cohesion within the clubs with extended squad players. The standard would be decent for young players to be tested and grow. Play games in country areas with actual club brands to build fan bases and also a more appealing tv product.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
is there going to club rugby in Melbourne this year? Apparently Mason Gordon is being flown up and down to Brisbane to play club rugby up here because the standard isn't good enough down there? The guy is fresh out of school - how can the comp be good enough? Personally I don't think the QRU should allow it, you sign elsewhere, go play for them.
Reg I think you’re looking at it all wrong. Why would we stop players playing in our Hospital Cup and damage our chances of them ever returning to Queensland. When the news broke that Carter had signed with the Rebels I was furious, then to find out our next best flyhalf also signed there. With the increase in player movements, we need to leave the door open.
On the same token, I was told at training last night that both of the Gordons are super impressed with the Rebel’s coaches and the guys in the team. We need to keep that door open for players like this.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Honestly an alignment with someone like Southern Dist would be the best option if no NRC. A club that (& I mean no disrespect) that is a quality club but doesnt have the depth of an northern or inner eastern side. We could send our best colts up there to help fill there colts grades & reward some good dewar shield players with an opportunity.

I hate to mention afl but both wa & sa clubs started their own sides rather than play them against each other every week. Come the back half of the year as a rebels supporter I dont want Ed Craig running into Isaac Aedo Kailea each other I want them packing a scrum together 5 to 10 times a game. I dont want Carter Gordan trying to dummy Glen Vaihu I want then working on their combinations
But the dockers and Eagles keep all there players in Perth. It’s a difficult one as we can’t keep letting the Dewar shield be trashed