• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ok but if that’s the case they shouldn’t be sending Rebels players interstate to play club rugby then. If they’re going to send players interstate then they should look to support those clubs who develop their players on behalf of them.

Surely that scenario benefits both teams, that’s how NRL clubs justify their support of QLD Cup teams, because it accelerates the development of their players hosted there

It is finding the right balance between the competition improvement and player development. Unfortunately the Dewar Shield isn't at the level it needs to be for the players at the moment.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It is finding the right balance between the competition improvement and player development. Unfortunately the Dewar Shield isn't at the level it needs to be for the players at the moment.
But the Rebels shouldn’t add the the problem. The new sides in the Shute shield didn’t help as almost all of the rising players went to the Hunter

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
But the Rebels shouldn’t add the the problem. The new sides in the Shute shield didn’t help as almost all of the rising players went to the Hunter

I wouldn't say they are adding to the problem I would say that are just not improving it. Ideally NRC each super team would have 2 teams in the comp.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He isn’t, just assuming that contracted plays play where they are contracted.

well said.!!!

A perfect situation for me would be;

- players not in match day squad play in local comp during the season
- at end of Trans-Tasman comp National comp is played in the space that the NRC held, this time it’s just the 5 super sides but squads will obviously be without Wallabies players. Wallabies players away and injuries occurred will offer lots of opportunities for the squad players and development players
- Rebels also create some partnership with a struggling Mitre10 side. Send 4/5 mid aged players over so they can earn another $30-50k a year, which might keep them around longer.

If something like this happened you could send players to a club like Southland

Orr
Wilkin
RHP
Hardwick

And then play a National comp with a team like this

1 Gibbon
2 Hanson
3 Eloff
4 Cummins
5 Nowlan
6 Kemeny
7 Leota
8 Wells
9 Tuttle
10 Gordon
11 Vaihu
12 Holland
13 Magnay
14 Anderson
15 Pincus

16 Craig
17 Kailea
18 Van Nek
19 Canham
20 Skelton
21 Strang
22 Vudogo
23 Tonumaipea

If other teams did similar then the 5 teams could put out some decent sides, hopefully keep some mid aged players around longer and also build cohesion within the clubs with extended squad players. The standard would be decent for young players to be tested and grow. Play games in country areas with actual club brands to build fan bases and also a more appealing tv product.

Ok, I know this is the Rebels thread, but want to leap frog off this idea. Assuming the Reds lose the following to a Wallaby set up BPA, Mafi (given current form?), Tupou, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Blyth (given current lock depth), Wilson, McReight, Wright, McDermott, JOC (James O'Connor), Petaia, Daugunu, Paisani and Vunivalu.

Then, taking your lead, I reckon Hegarty, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Hoopert and Sorovi could head to the ITM for some experience and cash.

Which would leave a team somewhat like

1 Zander
2 Nasser
3 Fotuaika
4 Smith
5 Grant
6 Tualima
7 Wallis
8 Uru
9 Thomas
10 Stewart [c]
11 Droaese
12 Creighton
13 Flook
14 Grealy
15 Campbell

16 Faessler
17 Asiata/ Vella
18 Zonggorr
19 Blyth (Jnr)
20 Roach
21 Dillon ???
22 Henry
23 Creighton

I like this comp a lot!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Then, taking your lead, I reckon Hegarty, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Hoopert and Sorovi could head to the ITM for some experience and cash.

I like this comp a lot!

It hasn't been the ITM Cup since 2015!

I like this comp idea too. The Waratahs could just field their full strength side.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
A player development pathway isn't the only thing lost without the NRC. Upcoming coaches and referees are also missing out on that mid-tier level experience.

Short term I think the problem could be fixed by playing "A" games alongside the Super Au games..... as has been done in the past. Play the A game either as a curtain raiser or even on an adjacent field.

I'm sure a lot of Dewar Shield clubs wouldn't be happy about losing their best players for 10 weeks or so but long term they would benefit.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
He isn’t, just assuming that contracted plays play where they are contracted.

Once bitten, twice shy I'd say. Jack McGregor didn't progress as hoped in that environment as a hyped young 10 playing in the Dewar Shield. Definition of insanity to repeat the same mistakes.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Once bitten, twice shy I'd say. Jack McGregor didn't progress as hoped in that environment as a hyped young 10 playing in the Dewar Shield. Definition of insanity to repeat the same mistakes.
I meant playing in the NRC. Also some players don’t come on as they were overrated

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Well it wasnt pretty but we got there ....... finally.

Hopefully we start getting a few back next week looks like we are not going to have RHP for at least a month.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well it wasnt pretty but we got there ... finally.

Hopefully we start getting a few back next week looks like we are not going to have RHP for at least a month.
Lock is a spot we can replace. Cummins will come into the side and the Callas will get an opportunity off the bench.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Lock is a spot we can replace. Cummins will come into the side and the Callas will get an opportunity off the bench.

Leota came off the bench v the reds & played lock I know he's seen more as a flanker but they seem pretty invested with him so he prob will be 19 next week. Fingers crossed Jordy will be at 16, Orr will be 17 & Wilkin will be at 20 to add depth to the bench. The back 3 fwd's last night looked absolutely on their feet even with the break for the lights.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well it wasnt pretty but we got there ... finally.

You know, there is something about the balance to the Rebels this year that I'm liking. Powell has really added to the setup, has injected some much needed quick service. I get a sense that they are a team that seems to be starting to click culturally.

They are far from the finished product, lots to clean up, but I think they are looking like they still have some headroom to keep improving and a number of players to bring back in.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

well said.!!!

Ok, I know this is the Rebels thread, but want to leap frog off this idea. Assuming the Reds lose the following to a Wallaby set up BPA, Mafi (given current form?), Tupou, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Blyth (given current lock depth), Wilson, McReight, Wright, McDermott, JOC (James O'Connor), Petaia, Daugunu, Paisani and Vunivalu.

Which would leave a team somewhat like

1 Zander
2 Nasser
3 Fotuaika
4 Smith
5 Grant
6 Tualima
7 Wallis
8 Uru
9 Thomas
10 Stewart [c]
11 Droaese
12 Creighton
13 Flook
14 Grealy
15 Campbell

16 Faessler
17 Asiata/ Vella
18 Zonggorr
19 Blyth (Jnr)
20 Roach
21 Dillon ???
22 Henry
23 Creighton

I like this comp a lot!
I’ll hijack this again with some Brums and Tahs teams (if a Force fan could do a team that would be great)

Tahs

Newsome, Porecki, Whetton, Maddocks sent to Mitre 10 for $$$ and experience.

1 Faulkner
2 Abel
3 Talakai
4 Douglas
5 Williams
6 Sinclair
7 Tizzano
8 Harris
9 Grant
10 Edmed
11 Reilly
12 Moeroa
13 Walton
14 Perese
15 Nawaqanitawase

Brums

Cusack, McInerney, Muirhead, Swain sent to Mitre10 for $$$ and experience.

1 Lloyd
2 Lonergan
3 Ross
4 Frost
5 Neville
6 Hooper
7 Brown
8 Reimer
9 Lonergan
10 Pasitoa
11 Kata
12 Kuenzle
13 Tapine
14 Fines
15 Hanson

Players not named in side that you’d expect there were in wallabies squad last year so I kept them out of team. Given wallabies squad was unusually large last year because of Covid all teams would be even better than names. Surely this would be a more appealing tv product and hopefully lead to some interest and future $$$. Played in non capital cities so that we can get that reach with the actual brands in different areas and be more representative of the states.