• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I think Pincus being on par with the rest of the fullbacks is more a symptom of none of the fullbacks playing very well at the moment. But he could go okay on the wing too.

Deegan really wasn't very good, he wasn't all that good, he was just bearly serviceable as a Super Rugby flyhalf. But having To'omua playing 12 and having a a real play maker playing at 10. If I could choose I'd have had the Rebels sign one of Miotti, or McIntyre so they can have a real flyhalf at 10 and let To'omua play his natural 12. But from what I had seen of Gordon before he was poached, he's going to be very good. I think he was ready last year and had JO'C not shocked everyone last year he would have been getting good game time last year. When he signed with the Rebs I pictured him coming into the starting XV.
Gordon is a classy flyhalf and will dominate his position once he gets a few Super Rugby games under his belt, but the timing must be right. Coming into the flyhalf position for a player who has never played Super Rugby is a big task and no doubt will be be scrutinised heavily. I’m anticipating seeing his name on the bench this week against the Tahs where the Rebels will probably get up, but who do you drop? I do see Gordon as the Wallabies long term flyhalf but Wessels needs to drip feed him into Super Rugby this year to get his mental game right. I still can’t believe he’s not at the Reds.
In comparison we’ve seen the Brumbies give Pasitoa a bench gig since Kenuzle has been out injured, and he hasn’t performed to a Super Rugby level where I would be comfortable with him leading the team if Noah went down in the first half. He has looked way out of his depth.
I also look at Petaia where his basic skills and consistency haven’t developed as expected and I think it’s because he was thrown in rather than his skills being developed from game to game. Petaia is a dynamic player but you never know what you’re going to get.
Pincus is looking to be a real gem. I have watched him a bit over the years and didn’t think too much. Wessels has brought him along nicely. When DHP and Magnay return it’s going to be a fight for positions. Vaihu is another player who I think has come along way.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Regarding Team of the Week, I might be biased, but I felt Campbell was better than Pincus but Pincus has been playing out of his skin, and playing very well without doing anything spectacular. If Banks or Maddocks were playing as well as Pincus they'd be talked about as Wallabies options. Having said that Pincus is 28. I'd be hesitant to pick him in the Wallabies squad unless he's exceptionally better than the others and right now he's perhaps a bit better, than Maddocks/Banks, but you don't want to be blooding a guy who's marginally better than others with Wallabies experience at the age of 28.

Nah i think you just pick your best team. Both Maddocks and Banks look pretty average atm and it's not like they are seasoned test vets. Pincus and Campbell should be licking their lips.

Unpopular opinion - i think Maddocks is clearly our most talented fullback but fuck me if he can't find form. Maybe because he's playing for the Tahs.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If Gordon can have 3/4 appearances by the end of the season then thats a good effort.

Off the bench vs the Tahs and Force at home. Then depending on the last round if we have secured a spot in the finals then give him a match, perhaps a start

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Oh, I agree Maddocks is probably the most skilled / talented, but he just doesn't play to that level. Full back really is our shallowest postiion right now. On that is DHP ever going to play Rugby again? He's been out for months now and the longer it goes the more I worry he's never going to actually play footy again?

The reason I'd be looking at getting Gordon onto the pitch is he is ready, he was ready last year but turns out O'Connor is a gun flyhalf. Obviously bring him form the bench but I think for his devleopment, without the Shute Shield / QPG you've gotta find a way to get him that top flight game time.
As others have said the Rebs have had a tough trot to begin the season, so perhaps we'll see him given some burn against the Waratahs. I do think the Rebels would look so much better with an out and out flyhalf at 10. To'omua is fine but he's so much better as a 12. Plus if you've loured Gordon away from the Reds you've gotta get him game time otherwise why over pay him.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Oh, I agree Maddocks is probably the most skilled / talented, but he just doesn't play to that level. Full back really is our shallowest postiion right now. On that is DHP ever going to play Rugby again? He's been out for months now and the longer it goes the more I worry he's never going to actually play footy again?

The reason I'd be looking at getting Gordon onto the pitch is he is ready, he was ready last year but turns out O'Connor is a gun flyhalf. Obviously bring him form the bench but I think for his devleopment, without the Shute Shield / QPG you've gotta find a way to get him that top flight game time.
As others have said the Rebs have had a tough trot to begin the season, so perhaps we'll see him given some burn against the Waratahs. I do think the Rebels would look so much better with an out and out flyhalf at 10. To'omua is fine but he's so much better as a 12. Plus if you've loured Gordon away from the Reds you've gotta get him game time otherwise why over pay him.

Maddocks still gets judged like hes 28 and not 23. Also i'd hold back on JOC (James O'Connor) gun 10 lol. I could easily argue To'omua and Lolesio have played better footy this season and even last season for that matter. He's playing well but just like To'omua he's a 12 doing a stellar job of filling in at 10. To'omua is a better game manager and considerably better kicker out of hand but lacks creativity. JOC (James O'Connor) has good creativity but has a moderate kicking game at best. Taking the 3 points for one week doesn't excuse the poor game management the Reds had in the game against the Rebels where if they implied the same strategy from this weekend could of won by 10+.

AFL_Converted

Ted Thorn (20)
Anybody here know when the tickets for the Waratahs game will actually be available from the link they send us when we order them.

I ordered mine more than a week ago, got a confirmation text right away with a link, but everytime I've clicked on it since all I get is a message saying the tickets are not available yet.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Anybody here know when the tickets for the Waratahs game will actually be available from the link they send us when we order them.

I ordered mine more than a week ago, got a confirmation text right away with a link, but everytime I've clicked on it since all I get is a message saying the tickets are not available yet.
I checked the full website and it says they should be available tomorrow (Tuesday 16/03). They were held back longer than expected, for some reason. I was doing the same thing and was close to calling the membership number. See what happens tomorrow.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I checked the full website and it says they should be available tomorrow (Tuesday 16/03). They were held back longer than expected, for some reason. I was doing the same thing and was close to calling the membership number. See what happens tomorrow.

The tahs were hoping the rebels would forget they were at home and the Tahs might win via forfeit. :)

Scooter

John Solomon (38)

Tickets for Storm game last week were available via link between 24 and 48 hours before the game.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Just heard Cam Orr on sen (in what was possibly the worst interview from a host who could not have got any more facts incorrect) & he said he was still 3 weeks off from being back. If it was just a hamstring (thats what he said) it must have been a bad one unless he did it trying to get up for the brumbies game.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
There should be a couple of guys back this week. More likely to see a bunch available for the Reds game after the bye

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just heard Cam Orr on sen (in what was possibly the worst interview from a host who could not have got any more facts incorrect) & he said he was still 3 weeks off from being back. If it was just a hamstring (thats what he said) it must have been a bad one unless he did it trying to get up for the brumbies game.
i think a hammy in a prop is probably 6+ weeks, not the usual 4 or so you may see in a back.