• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A player development pathway isn't the only thing lost without the NRC. Upcoming coaches and referees are also missing out on that mid-tier level experience.

Short term I think the problem could be fixed by playing "A" games alongside the Super Au games... as has been done in the past. Play the A game either as a curtain raiser or even on an adjacent field.

I'm sure a lot of Dewar Shield clubs wouldn't be happy about losing their best players for 10 weeks or so but long term they would benefit.

What I'd like to see is a fully fleshed out TT 'A' schedule running in parallel with the TT competition from 2022.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
You know, there is something about the balance to the Rebels this year that I'm liking. Powell has really added to the setup, has injected some much needed quick service. I get a sense that they are a team that seems to be starting to click culturally.

They are far from the finished product, lots to clean up, but I think they are looking like they still have some headroom to keep improving and a number of players to bring back in.

& hopefully expresses himself more now after a meat pie & win. He needs to learn how to box kick if he wants another wallabies cap under rennie though, I dont think he has had 1 this yr

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
What I'd like to see is a fully fleshed out TT 'A' schedule running in parallel with the TT competition from 2022.

I like that idea but not sure if it's practical. I don't think any of our teams have the depth in their squads to be competitive against the Kiwis and there's the cost..... pretty expensive exercise to take two squads of players, coaches and support staff to NZ every second week.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Well, don't wish for what you don't want. Did seem to work though. Crazy.

51k1pu.jpg

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
From next year it’s going to be back as one comp. I don’t mind running an A system but do also think it’s important for these blokes to play some club footy

They still could. Just after the A season. Club Rugby is great but not at the standard of play needed without some kind of sudden and significant influx of capital to essentially bring a large number of them to the level of low level professional players.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
They still could. Just after the A season. Club Rugby is great but not at the standard of play needed without some kind of sudden and significant influx of capital to essentially bring a large number of them to the level of low level professional players.
Well yeah I guess they should all be available for the back half of the club season. I worry about the future of club footy as nine looks to give the comps in Sydney and Brisbane more exposure to try and grow the revenue streams it will get harder and harder for Melbourne Perth and Canberra to compete

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well yeah I guess they should all be available for the back half of the club season. I worry about the future of club footy as nine looks to give the comps in Sydney and Brisbane more exposure to try and grow the revenue streams it will get harder and harder for Melbourne Perth and Canberra to compete

Unfortunately that may work out to be the case. Unless the money is found to either support the Melbourne and Perth comps in similar moves or to get some kind of representative teams involved in the respective Sydney and Brisbane comps.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
From next year it’s going to be back as one comp. I don’t mind running an A system but do also think it’s important for these blokes to play some club footy

I'm a supporter of the SS & think its great its that it does have support how ever there is a massive gap between the best hooker in the comp & someone at Super Rugby level not to mention that once a player goes back there from the rebels that yes they may develop as an individual but it will do nothing for the development of the rebels when they playing against each other.

Ps yes that is an Ed Craig reference just to spice things up. I actually thought he was okay the 2 games he has got on the park lol

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Unfortunately that may work out to be the case. Unless the money is found to either support the Melbourne and Perth comps in similar moves or to get some kind of representative teams involved in the respective Sydney and Brisbane comps.
The AFL use to put a fair amount of money into the NEAFL and while it wasn’t to the standard of the heartland comps it was strong and you would see Melbourne boys go up for the opportunity to play seniors every week in a hope to get drafted and that helped. I know rugby doesn’t have the same level of capital to invest but they need to find away to support the club game in Canberra Perth and Melbourne

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So given the schizophrenic decision making of the Goal Kicking / Try of the Rebels, what is the best way forwards for the Rebs? Should they go to the corner like they did against the Force or should they play conservatively and take the 3 every time like they did against the Brumbies & Reds?

Obviously, the ideal will probably be somewhere between the two. And simply the endeavour to genuinely attack they showed against the Force is probably enough to just combine that attacking endeavour and take the easy 3 when they are on offer.

Having said all of that, should To'omua be playing 10 if the Rebels are to be showing that endeavour rather than playing an out and out flyhalf and moving To'omua to 12.

Also please tell me I'm not the only one who things Hodge should just play 15 and if/when DHP comes back just play him at 14 and run dual fullbacks.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
Matt To'omua is IMO the best 12 in world rugby who offers plenty in attack and defence. Before the season started, and with what sounded like huge promise of Carter Gordon, I was anticipating Gordon being given a shot at 10. There is no better time to be a rookie 10 than at the Rebels with Powell at 9 and To'omua at 12 with Wallabies sprinkled in the outside backs. Does anyone know what the situation with Gordon is? I don't believe i have seen him on the injured list and he has yet to make the subs bench with Lomani as the reserve back option so far.

Also YES let's see Hodge at 15 and stop moving him around! He is not a second playmaker and his skill sets are better suited to 15, or maybe 13, but his experience at 15 should keep him there.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, I don't think there is anything wrong with Cater Gordon, it's just a decision from the team to not play him. It looks like they (or management) are determined to shoehorn To'omua into playing 10. Also makes it insane that they loured Cater Gordon away from the Reds. Surely, after signing him they have to be planning on getting him SOME game time, honestly the Rebels not playing him after poaching him from the Reds would be classic Rebels.

I wouldn't go so far as saying To'omua is/would be the best 12 in the World, but he's a really good 12 and only really a serviceable flyhalf. Personally if I were coaching the Rebs I'd probably be playing Gordon at 10 and To'omua at 12. And Hodge at 15. It looks similar to last year when they played Deegan at 10, they just looked so much better with a REAL 10. It feels like maybe management or To'omua are insisting on him playing 10 because even last year after Deegan had their attack humming they went back to To'omua very quickly.

But I'd love Hodge to get the rest of Super Rugby at 15, he could be an awesome fullback, and he's got all the skills you'd want from a 15. Massive boot to win those kicking duels, good enough play-making to be useful from fullback, a big strong ball runner, and really good under the high ball. Honestly, he'd probably be the best fullback option we have right now (mostly because Campbell is a bit average, and Banks & Maddocks have been poor).

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
We've only had three games this season, all away from home against three tough teams. I'm not at all surprised that Wessels hasn't picked Gordon in any of those games. Wessels definitely seems to prefer to bring the young guys through slowly..... Hosea, Fa'amusili, Eloff, even Uelese as a few recent examples.

Deegan, IIRC, had one cracking game at fly-half that had everyone raving then faded over the next few weeks till he was dropped.

Hodge's best position is probably fullback and To'omua's is probably 12 but I don't think we'll see that combo till Wessels is 100% confident in Gordon. Having said that, there would have to be a decent chance of Gordon getting a bench spot this week against the Tahs.

Pincus has been doing well at fullback and Hodge has been decent at 12 so it isn't like there's a dire need to make changes anyway.

On Pincus, if you look at the TOTW thread, not many have picked him but compare his stats to any of the other fullbacks and he's right up there. A consequence of being a relative no name I guess.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
On Pincus, if you look at the TOTW thread, not many have picked him but compare his stats to any of the other fullbacks and he's right up there. A consequence of being a relative no name I guess.

Pincus is noticed every weekend. All the time. And I'm expecting big things from him. Him not being picked, this weekend, by me anyway, had nothing to do with being a "noname". Pincus went extremely well. Very close to TOTW.

I doubt I'm then only one watching. The guy has talent.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)

Yeah, I thought he was a shoo-in for TOTW. The other fullbacks were pretty quiet and Pincus was instrumental in the Rebels win.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think Pincus being on par with the rest of the fullbacks is more a symptom of none of the fullbacks playing very well at the moment. But he could go okay on the wing too.

Deegan really wasn't very good, he wasn't all that good, he was just bearly serviceable as a Super Rugby flyhalf. But having To'omua playing 12 and having a a real play maker playing at 10. If I could choose I'd have had the Rebels sign one of Miotti, or McIntyre so they can have a real flyhalf at 10 and let To'omua play his natural 12. But from what I had seen of Gordon before he was poached, he's going to be very good. I think he was ready last year and had JO'C not shocked everyone last year he would have been getting good game time last year. When he signed with the Rebs I pictured him coming into the starting XV.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Regarding Team of the Week, I might be biased, but I felt Campbell was better than Pincus but Pincus has been playing out of his skin, and playing very well without doing anything spectacular. If Banks or Maddocks were playing as well as Pincus they'd be talked about as Wallabies options. Having said that Pincus is 28. I'd be hesitant to pick him in the Wallabies squad unless he's exceptionally better than the others and right now he's perhaps a bit better, than Maddocks/Banks, but you don't want to be blooding a guy who's marginally better than others with Wallabies experience at the age of 28.

Reactions: dru