• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agreed, but it's hard to have genuine rivalries when you're always hoping for an Aus team - any team - to win against NZ for once
We used to knock them over fairly regularly, especially by the Brumbies and Tahs. That is one reason I expected the Rebels to be a leading light for Aus rugby this year, I assumed that with a big pack, excellent 10 and reasonable backs you would knock over a couple of kiwi's.
The Rebels issues are Rugby Australia's issues.

MelbourneRebels

Herbert Moran (7)
Just some random discussion starters:

Is there a marquee regular matchup you'd like to see on our fixture each year?
What did you think of the Culture Round re-brand to Naarm Rebels?
How's our content been of late? Anything you'd like to see more of during the season?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

How's our content been of late? Anything you'd like to see more of during the season?
More needs to be built around rivalry with the Force. For both parties (Force and Rebels) it’s the only fixture with true history.

Feel like the Reds and Tahs fixtures aren’t promoted as important as they used to be.

Naarm…. It’s a nice touch but just my belief these things do very very little. Call me cynical but not a big fan of posturing gestures and would much rather see action than gestures, a group of players going to an indigenous community for skills camp etc. would be a better example than a name change. But everyone is different. There is way too many theme rounds in Super Rugby, I just feel like it’s just another random marketing scheme. What’s the saying in business…. If you target everyone, then you target nobody.

Current content - Rebels have been the best in the business for a few years, could still do more but doing a solid job.

MelbourneRebels

Herbert Moran (7)
More needs to be built around rivalry with the Force. For both parties (Force and Rebels) it’s the only fixture with true history.

Naarm…. It’s a nice touch but just my belief these things do very very little.

Current content - Rebels have been the best in the business for a few years, could still do more but doing a solid job.
So, for example, something like Force v Rebels in Perth on Anzac Eve?

When you say 'still do more', what do you mean?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Naarm Rebels sounds cool, I like it. I'd imagine most people who are union fans will think it's tokenistic but I don't mind it. Like the little wedge tail eagle too.
Content is good, I appreciated the injury report with the physio.
Personally for content, I love competitive stuff like in the gym, who can bench the most or who's the quickest across the paddock. Fun seeing how talented these guys are.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Naarm Rebels sounds cool, I like it. I'd imagine most people who are union fans will think it's tokenistic but I don't mind it. Like the little wedge tail eagle too.

Yeah, I'm all for it... but then the AFL do this kind of recognition a lot so I'm accustomed to it.

I'd be more than happy for the Brumbies to follow suit.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
So, for example, something like Force v Rebels in Perth on Anzac Eve?

When you say 'still do more', what do you mean?
Not to fussed on the date it’s on. Just making it a little spicy in the lead up. There might be limited things that can be done in that capacity. It just seems a little friendly for something that should be very spicy come game day.

I think you are doing a good job but the job is never finished. Love Dctargets gym idea. Let’s get players and teams weighing in live on game day, etc.

Be great to know what year players are contracted to, if you go onto the NRL site it tells which year off contract.

Last edited:

MelbourneRebels

Herbert Moran (7)
Not to fussed on the date it’s on. Just making it a little spicy in the lead up. There might be limited things that can be done in that capacity. It just seems a little friendly for something that should be very spicy come game day.
Gotcha. I was thinking more from a fixture/crowd point of view.

We know AFL and NRL have their marquee dates, even NBL has moved onto Christmas Day. Thinking out loud about what Super Rugby and Rebels can do in that space.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Great media and comms - huge improvement on previous years. Love getting the mic and camera in the guys' hands. It's also good to see the focus on the pasifika guys rather than the usual GPS suspects.

Like the idea of pumping the Force rivalry. It's a touchy subject but maybe bloody lean into it... Not sure about ANZAC day as the fixture to hang it on. Melbourne will have Storm and the AFL bonanza, so having it annually in Perth means little me and my membership.

MelbourneRebels

Herbert Moran (7)
Great media and comms - huge improvement on previous years. Love getting the mic and camera in the guys' hands. It's also good to see the focus on the pasifika guys rather than the usual GPS suspects.

Like the idea of pumping the Force rivalry. It's a touchy subject but maybe bloody lean into it... Not sure about ANZAC day as the fixture to hang it on. Melbourne will have Storm and the AFL bonanza, so having it annually in Perth means little me and my membership.
*thumbs up emoji*

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

What is the club trying to do to grow the game within the indigenous communities in Victoria? I think if it’s just a name change it is a bit of a token gesture.

Maybe try and have a Labor Day Game as there is no sport then. I have nothing against ANZAC eve in Perth as you have to help other clubs make an event.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)

Re: Content, I've enjoyed the more direct engagement and acknowledgment of Melbourne's Pasifika community. Imo they really carry rugby in VIC and are our real point of difference compared to other states.

Regarding culture round, I like the Naarm Rebels rebrand. Next year it would be good to expand. Maybe some of the squad boys could go and volunteer with Indigenous/Pasifika community groups, or a certain amount of ticket sales could be donated to NGO's working with remote & regional Indigenous communities.

Overall online community engagement is the best its been in my memory.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Had a chat to a guy from the aussie rules club that plays on the oval next to Melb Uni rc & shares social rooms today & found out some strange news. Melb Uni social & change rooms are getting re done & are massively behind schedule. 3 of the 4 teams from the afl club have been shifted to their junior clubs ground where they played last yr but the whole rugby club is being forced to play at their home oval with no social rooms & getting changed in portables. The Melbourne city council has refused to put posts up at the temporary ground Uni played at last yr or even put the soccer/rugby posts up & share with the soccer club at princess park playing fields where there are 4 change rooms. Really disappointing from the council if true.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rugby.com.au article saying a chance of Philip been available this week.

Hardwick and Canham more likely.
That's a pretty impressive recovery and more than enough time to stake a claim for Gold, 5 games. I swear the physio last week said Leota was due back earlier than him.

Really have liked Canham and Hosea together but think they're a little too green together. 4. Hosea 5. Philip 19. Canham is a much more balanced combination. Less pressure on Canham to perform, can develop better.

Hosea got 4 lineout steals on the weekend, immense.

edit. Apparently got 5, and 11 of his own.

Last edited:

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
That's a pretty impressive recovery and more than enough time to stake a claim for Gold, 5 games. I swear the physio last week said Leota was due back earlier than him.

Really have liked Canham and Hosea together but think they're a little too green together. 4. Hosea 5. Philip 19. Canham is a much more balanced combination. Less pressure on Canham to perform, can develop better.

Hosea got 4 lineout steals on the weekend, immense.
Dickie off the bench as well to cover 6-7-8 and all of a sudden the bench is pretty good, although light on back quality.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Do we know if Gordon failed his HIA or not? Can’t believe that dog shot was let go. If he is ruled out with concussion we are no hope of winning