• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
This is where a SRAU comp at the end of the season would be so valuable for players like Vaihu and Ripley. Because we will probably lose Ioane we need one of these guys to get a serious run around before next season, instead they are playing against Laborers, accountants and plumbers on the weekend.

Japan tour with more than 1 game

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Better option than nothing but still ‘gimmickie’.

4 game SRAU + final then a small 2-3 game tour of Japan. We’d be set if that was possible.
Past performance would probably indicate a three game SRAu comp. Likely to compete with the SS finals and NSW might not be able, or willing, to field a side.:(:confused:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Past performance would probably indicate a three game SRAu comp. Likely to compete with the SS finals and NSW might not be able, or willing, to field a side.:(:confused:
And QLD Club Finals.

I think we should be playing a Super Rugby A comp prior to the Super Rugby Pacific if the Comp is here to stay for next few years. Let the young guys get games in against longer term Super Rugby players and push for spot come season proper. If they aren't involved in Super Rugby week in and week out let them go play Club Rugby which can run until the end of August (SS) you'd be looking at 20+ games of footy in the young guys per year

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Got the Brumbies again in a few weeks with hopefully Phillip, Leota and Canham back in. Hopefully Wilkin is okay

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Can anyone explain why the Rebels crowds are so small? I get that it is Melbourne but the team are playing exciting rugby, and having the Brumbies as opposition and an afternoon game I would have thought that it would have drawn a decent crowd but on tv it looked like they had around 1000 all up. Surely the Rebels could go out to the rugby community and offer free tickets to kids and charge adults $10 and that would boost their numbers - better than having so many empty seats. Player were scoring tries in front of seemingly no spectators behind the posts. What are the Rebels marketing doing to try to boost engagement with the public?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Can anyone explain why the Rebels crowds are so small? I get that it is Melbourne but the team are playing exciting rugby, and having the Brumbies as opposition and an afternoon game I would have thought that it would have drawn a decent crowd but on tv it looked like they had around 1000 all up. Surely the Rebels could go out to the rugby community and offer free tickets to kids and charge adults $10 and that would boost their numbers - better than having so many empty seats. Player were scoring tries in front of seemingly no spectators behind the posts. What are the Rebels marketing doing to try to boost engagement with the public?
We don't like losers and there's a billion other sports teams in Melbourne

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
And QLD Club Finals.

I think we should be playing a Super Rugby A comp prior to the Super Rugby Pacific if the Comp is here to stay for next few years. Let the young guys get games in against longer term Super Rugby players and push for spot come season proper. If they aren't involved in Super Rugby week in and week out let them go play Club Rugby which can run until the end of August (SS) you'd be looking at 20+ games of footy in the young guys per year
Not sure that that works as well as it might Ghost.

The Super A comp would need to start too early to fit in with the Super Rugby start, wouldn't it? Super Rugby already starts in the first half of February when it's arguably still too hot, but I can't see that changing if it is to fit in before the July test window. Nor can I see NZRU being agreeable if a later start would interfere with any of their comps.

I reckon a Super A comp is only viable if it is run in conjunction with TRC later in the year. That might pose a problem for the Shute Shield and Hospital Cup, but that would be a matter for RA to sort out. Later in the year doesn't unduly alter the fact that the young guys will be getting much needed experience and game time against higher level competition as most of the non-Wallaby Super players would presumably be available to participate as well. And that would keep them in good nick in case of injury call up to the test squad.

I think something like this could work and be a fill in at least until a proper NRC style tier can be brought in.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Free tickets cost the host team money.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Walking in to the ground the Vixens were playing across the road, and Collingwood were playing Sydney at the G. It was raining, freezing, and we are at the back end of a losing season - again. We are playing more entertaining rugby, but if you aren’t winning, you’re not getting much visibility in Melbourne. This was my first match this year and I brought my early primary school age daughters down. The kids couldn’t handle the weather in the end - maybe a few more early games when the weather is good could help.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Walking in to the ground the Vixens were playing across the road, and Collingwood were playing Sydney at the G. It was raining, freezing, and we are at the back end of a losing season - again. We are playing more entertaining rugby, but if you aren’t winning, you’re not getting much visibility in Melbourne. This was my first match this year and I brought my early primary school age daughters down. The kids couldn’t handle the weather in the end - maybe a few more early games when the weather is good could help.
Night games are way better

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Also with all the works going on for the World Cup most fans are not in view of the camera. Was probably 6-8k. It was the coldest day this year in Melbourne, only reached about 11 degrees.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
As others have posted the weather doesn't stop them getting 70k at the same time across the road.

Truth is there aren't many Rebels fans. Many more union fans but no Rebels.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
As others have posted the weather doesn't stop them getting 70k at the same time across the road.

Truth is there aren't many Rebels fans. Many more union fans but no Rebels.
Perfect storm. 3 of the last 4 games have been interstate. The only home game being ANZAC day that always sells out. Pies sitting a game clear on top

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I have never understood the need to appease the ‘family’ demographic in the game day experience.

Personally think it should be catered towards people with disposable cash and clearly identify a clear target audience that will engage with all aspects of the club from Mon-Sun.

Aus and NZ have an interesting obsession with family atmosphere in sporting events which might correlate with the vanilla nature of the experiences they provide when compared to almost every other sporting audiences around the world (minus cricket test matches but that’s a great example as the atmosphere is provided from people treating it as a lads day out, which might be a reason why we have the worlds largest crowds in that domain).

All major sports pivoted from this thinking years ago and now almost providing a night out with the boys/girls experience. Football, US sports, F1 are now more adult friendly than providing a jumping castle experience.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Football, US sports, F1 all have video game versions of their sports to get kids interested. Rugby is more reliant on doing it the old fashioned way, i.e. getting kids to attend games.
100% they engage their younger audience with strong social media and video games. More interested in been cool within pop culture which is honestly more impactful in 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I have never understood the need to appease the ‘family’ demographic in the game day experience.

Personally think it should be catered towards people with disposable cash and clearly identify a clear target audience that will engage with all aspects of the club from Mon-Sun.

Aus and NZ have an interesting obsession with family atmosphere in sporting events which might correlate with the vanilla nature of the experiences they provide when compared to almost every other sporting audiences around the world (minus cricket test matches but that’s a great example as the atmosphere is provided from people treating it as a lads day out, which might be a reason why we have the worlds largest crowds in that domain).

All major sports pivoted from this thinking years ago and now almost providing a night out with the boys/girls experience. Football, US sports, F1 are now more adult friendly than providing a jumping castle experience.
Great point.

I wouldn't ever dare suggest taking my mates to a Rebels match, even those that used to play the sport. I actually often go with my mate's 75 year old dad instead. The missus comes but that's because she has to.

Though is it a bit unfair to compare it to events like the F1 which are 1 day glorified piss ups?