• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Back on the discussion of Rebels crowd sizes I don't even think it is we like winners. It is that for 13 seasons we have had significantly more losses than wins. So not even many / any break even seasons. That is a fair length of time without any real success.

We have made the finals once in Super Rugby Au courtesy of a last minute try to Cabous Eloff and Matt To'omua conversion. A mate of mine said earlier this week that that doesn't really count.

The game style under Tony McGahan turned a lot of people away, yes I know that was years ago.

Our games are currently on Stan Sport, with a plethora of streaming services not everyone has Stan and those that do don't necessarily have the Sport package, unless you are die-hard fan. Yes, we might have some games on 9GEM (maybe 3 or 4). Even though this season's Rebels have played more entertaining rugby, the fact that we are on Stan and a cursory glance at the ladder shows we are in a similar position as in past years it makes it difficult to attract fans back.

I ran into a friend earlier in the year who used to be a Rebels member and she has ditched her Rebels membership and she and her family the last couple of seasons have been going to a heap of AFL games (makes it easy when they support the Cats).

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Back on the discussion of Rebels crowd sizes I don't even think it is we like winners. It is that for 13 seasons we have had significantly more losses than wins. So not even many / any break even seasons. That is a fair length of time without any real success.

We have made the finals once in Super Rugby Au courtesy of a last minute try to Cabous Eloff and Matt To'omua conversion. A mate of mine said earlier this week that that doesn't really count.

The game style under Tony McGahan turned a lot of people away, yes I know that was years ago.

Our games are currently on Stan Sport, with a plethora of streaming services not everyone has Stan and those that do don't necessarily have the Sport package, unless you are die-hard fan. Yes, we might have some games on 9GEM (maybe 3 or 4). Even though this season's Rebels have played more entertaining rugby, the fact that we are on Stan and a cursory glance at the ladder shows we are in a similar position as in past years it makes it difficult to attract fans back.

I ran into a friend earlier in the year who used to be a Rebels member and she has ditched her Rebels membership and she and her family the last couple of seasons have been going to a heap of AFL games (makes it easy when they support the Cats).
Stan is better than Kayo.

If we start winning fans won’t come back we have to sustain that over a few seasons to build the crowds back up.

As you have pointed out we have never had a winning season. It’s been hard being a fan.

Since their first season the footy club I support have had more winning seasons than losing ones.

You go to rebels game’s hoping to see a win but never expecting a win

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It was always going to be tough or impossible to muscle in on an AFL market. Without anything approaching success? definitely impossible.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It was always going to be tough or impossible to muscle in on an AFL market. Without anything approaching success? definitely impossible.
Case in point the Storm. They have been amazing on field over an extended period of time. Also they play a longer season by the time fair weather footy fans are ready to jump off the storm are there in premiership contention

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Case in point the Storm. They have been amazing on field over an extended period of time. Also they play a longer season by the time fair weather footy fans are ready to jump off the storm are there in premiership contention
And the Storm are hardly huge in Melb

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Stan is better than Kayo.

If we start winning fans won’t come back we have to sustain that over a few seasons to build the crowds back up.

As you have pointed out we have never had a winning season. It’s been hard being a fan.

Since their first season the footy club I support have had more winning seasons than losing ones.

You go to rebels game’s hoping to see a win but never expecting a win

Stan's coverage might be better than Kayo/Foxtel but in terms of getting eyeballs Kayo/Foxtel is better. Kayo/Foxtel have the AFL, NRL, F1, Netball etc. So more likely to have your casual sports fan watching / stumbling across the rugby.

On Stan, you have the UEFA Champions League, some Motor Sport and the Grand Slam tennis. So not as mainstream sports as Kayo/Foxtel. I think you would have to be a big fan of one or more of those sports to get a Stan Sport subscription.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
And the Storm are hardly huge in Melb
The Storm had the 3rd or 4th highest average home attendance in the NRL in 2022. That is reasonably big.

As for the Rebels, not that we ever see an attendance figure (except for Super Round) I would say we are probably second last ahead of only Moana Pasifika for average home crowds.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
The Storm had the 3rd or 4th highest average home attendance in the NRL in 2022. That is reasonably big.

As for the Rebels, not that we ever see an attendance figure (except for Super Round) I would say we are probably second last ahead of only Moana Pasifika for average home crowds.
Yeh, it’s false information or they live in a stereotype bubble if people say they aren’t. The decade I lived in Melb every office I worked in had some knowledge of the storm and a passing interest from most ‘sports’ fans. They always know a couple of the big name players to be able to hold a basic conversation about how they are playing. I’d go as far as saying Papenhauzen (maybe because of the mullet) is more famous in Melb than any Reds player in QLD. Since I have returned almost no knowledge of any Reds players in office.

Not saying the sport is more popular because it isn’t (although not as far off as people would think), but the brand is definitely stronger.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Correct me if I'm wrong but no different in my mind to the Swans in Sydney. They are a known name in sports in Sydney. Most people I know can name 3-4 of them and have a rough idea on how they are travelling.

Stan have built their platform really well and it suits me great as a Rugby fan but Kayo has it covered still. Stan would have to get a major US sport or the cricket to give it that next bump.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Correct me if I'm wrong but no different in my mind to the Swans in Sydney. They are a known name in sports in Sydney. Most people I know can name 3-4 of them and have a rough idea on how they are travelling.

Stan have built their platform really well and it suits me great as a Rugby fan but Kayo has it covered still. Stan would have to get a major US sport or the cricket to give it that next bump.
Similar in that sense, although I’d say the Swans have reached a level of support above the Storm.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Hopefully stays fit for the remaining 4 games to reach 100.

Would be a shame if wallaby resting policy deprived him of the 100 mark
Eddie did say he would no force it when asked about Hooper requiring another rest last week. Although I see it coming for the Crusaders away game. Hodge deserves the 100 and if the Rebels did miss the finals he will be getting rest then anyway. Eddie seemed to imply he trusts the senior players to self manage to certain extent.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

On the somewhat topic of fan experience you've been discussing, we're glad we can finally share that we've been working with a small group of members after it was suggested at last year's member forum we should be doing so.
As much as we (or i specifically) can come across as negative at times, it definitely isn’t a reflection of what the people at the Rebels are trying to do.

I personally think you are all doing a great job given the resources and situation all the teams are in.

Rebels are best in the business at engagement. Might not have the reach or resources of others, but they are definitely leveraging more out of what reach and resources they do have than others. Force are also worth a solid mention for what they offer.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
An increase in Matchday attendance? Is that just attendance from members because this year I swear the crowd numbers look like the smallest I have seen. Noise still gets pretty good when the team gets a run on.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Got bored, Victorian XV for a state of Origin. Not quite at competitive level but we're getting there. A few solid stretches there too..

1. Tet Faulkner
2. Jordan Uelese
3. Pone Fa'amausili
4. Trevor Hosea
5. Josh Canham
6. Rob Leota
7. Pete Samu
8. Rob Valetini
9. The Versatile Johnny Ulugia
10. Christian Leali'ifano
11. Digby Ioane
12. Sione Tuipuloto
13. Hunter Paisami
14. Monty Ioane
15. Ben Tapuai

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Got bored, Victorian XV for a state of Origin. Not quite at competitive level but we're getting there. A few solid stretches there too..
And that's why I asked about Canham's background if it included rugby. The PI players realistically would never have gotten into Aussie rules, it was likely either rugby or league for them.