• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Great point.

I wouldn't ever dare suggest taking my mates to a Rebels match, even those that used to play the sport. I actually often go with my mate's 75 year old dad instead. The missus comes but that's because she has to.

Though is it a bit unfair to compare it to events like the F1 which are 1 day glorified piss ups?
True I also love my American sports, currently watching NBA finals. Finding a child in the crowd is like a where’s Wally experience. Obviously they are there but well and truly out numbered.

Was reading a while ago one of the Top 14 clubs turns a portion of the field into a night club after the game, so people stay around and drink the night away. $$$$$

I have done a few games in Europe and honestly people couldn’t give a rats that we had children there. It was a little intimidating for kids but strangely it was also the best atmospheres and crowds I have ever been apart of. I should add the kids absolutely loved it on reflection.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Football, US sports, F1 all have video game versions of their sports to get kids interested. Rugby is more reliant on doing it the old fashioned way, i.e. getting kids to attend games.
This is not spoken about enough as a content route. Video games consume so much of the content time for younger audiences now. The economy for it is massive and the last good Rugby game was 15 years ago.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Taking it back to the Rebels. I’m now back in QLD after a decade in Melb, but remember there was a time when people were complaining about the announcer and music on at the stadium. Haven’t heard the same at Reds yet, but I’m sure the voices are there.

It’s all very strange for a sport desperately looking to provide an entertainment proposition. It must be a thankless job trying to create entertainment within the Aus rugby audience for clubs and unions.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
True I also love my American sports, currently watching NBA finals. Finding a child in the crowd is like a where’s Wally experience. Obviously they are there but well and truly out numbered.

Was reading a while ago one of the Top 14 clubs turns a portion of the field into a night club after the game, so people stay around and drink the night away. $$$$$

I have done a few games in Europe and honestly people couldn’t give a rats that we had children there. It was a little intimidating for kids but strangely it was also the best atmospheres and crowds I have ever been apart of. I should add the kids absolutely loved it on reflection.
What do they do differently that causes that? Or is it all a bit chicken and egg? the stadium doesn't make the experience, the people that go do.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is not spoken about enough as a content route. Video games consume so much of the content time for younger audiences now. The economy for it is massive and the last good Rugby game was 15 years ago.
I really don't think rugby is a good sport for a video game, it's too complex and too team orientated. It's not as if NRL & AFL have good games either.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I really don't think rugby is a good sport for a video game, it's too complex and too team orientated. It's not as if NRL & AFL have good games either.
but they don't have the economy for a good game, we do. Really something that we can leverage that would benefit Aus rugby here.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It is tricky because to do it properly isnt an RA endevour. We'd end up with the junk the AFL and NRL have. It would have to be pushed by World Rugby to get all the licenses sorted for teams and tournaments. You also need to be big enough to get EA Sports who make the 2 biggest (Madden & Fifa) to put in the work to make a good game. Maybe with a WC in the US it could spark an interest from them to do it...

Back to the Rebels thread

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well a game has nothing to do with Australia, I don't think World Rugby would consider it important. They could definitely take a clue how the US sports expanded and grew rapidly internationally via highlights on social media however. It's joke content creators get their stuff copyrighted - it's free marketing FFS.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
but they don't have the economy for a good game, we do. Really something that we can leverage that would benefit Aus rugby here.

I'm not sure about that...

EA used to make the official rugby game, and while it was passable... it certainly did not have the production values of their premier games, and it didn't sell that well.

Then there was a split leading up to the 2011 RWC with SANZAAR, and maybe a few other countries, taking the rights to some Aus or NZ based game developer with the other unions sticking to EA with both of them releasing two separate, equally terrible games.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm not sure about that...

EA used to make the official rugby game, and while it was passable... it certainly did not have the production values of their premier games, and it didn't sell that well.

Then there was a split leading up to the 2011 RWC with SANZAAR, and maybe a few other countries, taking the rights to some Aus or NZ based game developer with the other unions sticking to EA with both of them releasing two separate, equally terrible games.
Well we have an market 10 the size of the AFL and they got a game this year that was trash. So my maths says 10 x trash = slightly less trash?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
greatest video game ever

1683608751591.png

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Josh Kemeny got 3 weeks. For a late hit head on head with Ikitau.

Yet last week 17 for Moana goes for the dog shot on Gordon after he passed direct shoulder to head and got away with it. Who ever does the game review is even more inconsistent then the bloody AFL

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kemeny's suspension is down to two weeks because he is eligible to attend World Rugby's don't hit people in the head school.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Kemeny's suspension is down to two weeks because he is eligible to attend World Rugby's don't hit people in the head school.
It’s still pathetic. When they let the shot on Gordon go.

Gordon had to go off for a HIA. Ikitau played out another 60 minutes.