• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Can anyone explain why the Rebels crowds are so small? I get that it is Melbourne but the team are playing exciting rugby, and having the Brumbies as opposition and an afternoon game I would have thought that it would have drawn a decent crowd but on tv it looked like they had around 1000 all up. Surely the Rebels could go out to the rugby community and offer free tickets to kids and charge adults $10 and that would boost their numbers - better than having so many empty seats. Player were scoring tries in front of seemingly no spectators behind the posts. What are the Rebels marketing doing to try to boost engagement with the public?
Not to be too much of a hardened cynic but there's fuck-all media presence for rugby in Victoria, NRL and the Storm have been an absolute powerhouse over their history and when you compare and contrast the emotional experience of turning up to AAMI Park, week in, week out for over a decade only to go away bitterly disappointed with another loss or shit performance, to an endless train of wins, you'll lose casuals to the superior experience.

All that grumbling said, we're finally playing in a way that fans can get behind, with player we've largely developed without just raiding big names (Tupou aside).

Unfortunately most of what's left in the crowd are the diehard rusted-ons, as all the curious casuals and sports fans have voted with their time and wallets.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I have never understood the need to appease the ‘family’ demographic in the game day experience.

Personally think it should be catered towards people with disposable cash and clearly identify a clear target audience that will engage with all aspects of the club from Mon-Sun.

Aus and NZ have an interesting obsession with family atmosphere in sporting events which might correlate with the vanilla nature of the experiences they provide when compared to almost every other sporting audiences around the world (minus cricket test matches but that’s a great example as the atmosphere is provided from people treating it as a lads day out, which might be a reason why we have the worlds largest crowds in that domain).

All major sports pivoted from this thinking years ago and now almost providing a night out with the boys/girls experience. Football, US sports, F1 are now more adult friendly than providing a jumping castle experience.
Interesting point. It's literally why my mate is pestering me to go with him to the bloody greyhounds. Of all the ways to spend my time, an evening at some fleabitten suburban dog torture event is about the last option, but he swears it's a fun social and entertainment experience despite him having zero interest in the dogs or gambling.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Interesting point. It's literally why my mate is pestering me to go with him to the bloody greyhounds. Of all the ways to spend my time, an evening at some fleabitten suburban dog torture event is about the last option, but he swears it's a fun social and entertainment experience despite him having zero interest in the dogs or gambling.
The doggies? Wow thought we'd resigned that to the last century. Curious to know what they do to make it so appealing.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah it's a weird one. Maybe in a similar way to the live darts experience?

Focus most of it on the food and drink with the event carrying on in the background.

Rebels and rugby generally offer that, but it's just financially out of reach for the the majority of supporters. I'm going to the Bledisloe at a 110,000 capacity stadium and paying $69. The Rugby Australia hospitality package for that game is $850

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
So yeah, @MelbourneRebels, without gouging the Weary Dunlop members, maybe offer some fun and accessible entertainment options that don't rely on corporate boxes. There's that cool bar/lounge setup at the north end but I assume there's some tight sponsor agreement in place and it's a 'who you know' situation to get access.

Let us plebs into the fun!

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It's a good idea. I'm always pretty critical of the Tahs like most Tah fans are but bringing back Tah Bar is a great idea. I remember when it was the Bundy Bar in the old SFS and it could get a nice casual atmosphere with a lot of people coming after Club rugby with their partners and what not. You can see it now with the removing of the seats so you can stand and walk around. Has a lot of potential to be fun for the non Rugby fan/casual viewer who might go because some mates are.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Got bored, Victorian XV for a state of Origin. Not quite at competitive level but we're getting there. A few solid stretches there too..

1. Tet Faulkner
2. Jordan Uelese
3. Pone Fa'amausili
4. Trevor Hosea
5. Josh Canham
6. Rob Leota
7. Pete Samu
8. Rob Valetini
9. The Versatile Johnny Ulugia
10. Christian Leali'ifano
11. Digby Ioane
12. Sione Tuipuloto
13. Hunter Paisami
14. Monty Ioane
15. Ben Tapuai

Gotta fit in Kemu v some how! he's a kiwi team destroyer!

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I see Lebron has been named at west this week, I saw he played for EH down here last week I was worried he'd pulled the pin on playing up nth must have just been to get an extra game in.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
whats the definition of SOO?

Where they were born?

Where they went to school?

Where they played their first Snr Rugby?

If they've visited Vic once or twice?
Only Paisami would not qualify for Vic given league SOO rules. Not one of them would qualify for any other state under the same rules.

If there is confusion over players like Digby, Benny Taps and Hosea etc. they were all identified in the Victorian system and offered rugby scholarships in QLD for their last year or 2. Digby for example played for Victorian rugby and league.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Only Paisami would not qualify for Vic given league SOO rules. Not one of them would qualify for any other state under the same rules.

If there is confusion over players like Digby, Benny Taps and Hosea etc. they were all identified in the Victorian system and offered rugby scholarships in QLD for their last year or 2. Digby for example played for Victorian rugby and league.
Don't ruin Reg's sassy comments with the truth! It's all he's got

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Called this loss to the Tahs a few weeks ago. Until we learn to play away from home we can only dream about playing any significant part in finals.

From here I only see a possible win against force. Maybe we can pi CH one against the highlanders, but. It confident