• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
It would indeed be excellent to see the boys who're outside the Wallabies and sticking around for '24 have 3-5 games scheduled against pro opposition to learn and build together. Wests are fine, but it's not the same.
100% need opposition where analysts have gone over hours of footage to develop game plans, opposition players that have trained in a certain way that week to negate strengths and weaknesses of opposition and prob done several hours of video footage to identify. Plus the little things like pressure of been on tv etc. things that change the fabric of the type of game been played that you just can’t get at club level

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Have we been better this year? We have finished second last.
We have looked better at times but the reality is we can't turn that improvement into wins. We do not have a single player on our list who is a definite Wallaby starter. AK (Andrew Kellaway) is the most likely but even with him there are strong arguments for others ahead of him. Our centre combinations just seemed ineffective. Ili started well but dropped off and he is undersized for a ball running centre. Hodge I absolutely love but he is not effective in the centres, yes he can do a job there but it wastes his boot and he often is out of position. Carter is without doubt our best back and is the future for the Wallabies in my opinion however I wonder if he won't end up back with one of the big three as that will be Rugby Australia's want.
The problem we face is that the Force and the Rebels are only able to pick at the scraps unless we pay well over what anyone else will. TT is coming to us for a payday and the idea that he may not have to work so hard as results don't really matter. We have re-signed a head coach with a truly appalling record and he just delivered a second from bottom season.
I have been a Rebels member since day one and I will still retain my membership next year but I won't do it with any expectations that we will be challenging for finals even.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
The Crusaders chairman was on a podcast this week with the Roar and he referred to the Rebels doing everything right to be long term success. He mentioned the building blocks are in place and the only thing that will could derail it would be some directors coming in looking for short term-ism.

Maybe he’s talking fluff to be kind but got the impression he was been genuine about it. Tahs were the other team he mentioned to be having strong foundations been put in place. They might also be the only operations he’s seen upfront.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't want to shortcut what we're doing with too much: but it's fairly clear that a handful of senior/important positions will need to be recruited around: Sakaia-Loto is a nice one for one with Phillip, but there's no question that we need at minimum 1, probably 2 Centers, a scrum half, and a hooker who can throw.

In terms of centers, I don't want a youngster: to be frank, we have absolutely sucked at developing centers, the players who've performed best in those roles for us (Hodgey aside) have been those who've had substantial super exposure elsewhere (Ellison, Inman, O'Connor, Harris, Meakes) That's not to say there haven't been failures there too (Sidey, Magnay etc.).

Most domestic centers look to be locked up unfortunately: Tamati Tua and Isaac Henry seem to be the only names of note currently uncontracted. Sam Johnson has been noted elsewhere: my left field pick would be Matt Proctor, who seems to be clubless at 30 after having been released by Northampton.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I don't want to shortcut what we're doing with too much: but it's fairly clear that a handful of senior/important positions will need to be recruited around: Sakaia-Loto is a nice one for one with Phillip, but there's no question that we need at minimum 1, probably 2 Centers, a scrum half, and a hooker who can throw.

In terms of centers, I don't want a youngster: to be frank, we have absolutely sucked at developing centers, the players who've performed best in those roles for us (Hodgey aside) have been those who've had substantial super exposure elsewhere (Ellison, Inman, O'Connor, Harris, Meakes) That's not to say there haven't been failures there too (Sidey, Magnay etc.).

Most domestic centers look to be locked up unfortunately: Tamati Tua and Isaac Henry seem to be the only names of note currently uncontracted. Sam Johnson has been noted elsewhere: my left field pick would be Matt Proctor, who seems to be clubless at 30 after having been released by Northampton.
Tua would be a good get, is he Australian?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Agree.

Rebels have been pretty good to watch this year. They do need to find a Centre. Tuipolotu likely to re sign with the Tahs apparently. I also think finding a young 9 should be high on the priority list.

!00% agree but there is nothing out there! all the good young ones are signed up. Wilson will shadow JG at the tahs & Thorn will now play 21 with NW going west.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
It’s not like Ryan and Tuttle are bad and don’t have a couple of years left but might be worth really going and having a look at the Aus U18s/School Boys this year and have a long term vision. With some luck Gordon will the be there a long time and you can bring through a 9.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
!00% agree but there is nothing out there! all the good young ones are signed up. Wilson will shadow JG at the tahs & Thorn will now play 21 with NW going west.
I'm still pretty surprised the rebels didn't make a bigger play for Werchon, given his connection with the Gordon's and the relative youth of the Reds 3 other 9s.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It’s not like Ryan and Tuttle are bad and don’t have a couple of years left but might be worth really going and having a look at the Aus U18s/School Boys this year and have a long term vision. With some luck Gordon will the be there a long time and you can bring through a 9.
Foote clearly has no time for Tuttle, while Louwrens is both unsigned & not going to be the player that pushes us from cellar dwellers to mid-table.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Maybe try to get Harrison Goddard back? Everyone that previously ruined him has gone. He’s going to be 3 at the tahs next yr & was a lot better player that Louwrens when they were both in the mlr

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Agree, need a focal point in centres. Anderson is probably the biggest power carrier we have, he’s not bad but need someone else with some punch. Nu’u could of been a lot of help at 12.

Vaihu and Ripley are the hopes. This is where a SRAU would be amazing to get 4-5 games into them with Vaihu on Ioane’s wing and Ripley learn that at the pro level his lose play doesn’t work.
I really don't see Anderson as a power carrier. I see him as an out and out finisher. If he has to beat someone it usually doesn't end well.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
What happened to Moses Sorovi is he still there?
he’s been playing for wests all year. Killing it. The form qpr halfback (when he’s not sharing the role with Werchon or CCJ)

I wonder if Sorovi lack of super rugby game time puts him on the outer for Fiji selection? (It really shouldn’t be - he is a world class halfback in my opinion, simply playing in the rebels northern based development team)

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
I am surprised that Sorovi didn't get more game time when he was at the Rebels. I thought he brought great energy from the bench in a couple of games last season.