• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
why isn’t rebels entering a team in qpr a realistic option? All the fringe players could build combinations (which some are doing at wests) I think if the financing/scheduling is achievable you could have rebels team playing Queensland team every second weekend in Melbourne footy grounds and then the other weekend they are doing day in/day out flights to Brisbane for their away matches.

I agree with most of the sentiment here that the NRC is imperative & needs bring back asap. Really hope Rugby Australia is looking at all avenues for 3rd tier development because status quo has rooms for inmprovements

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Yeah we weren't flush with quality backs to begin with.
We must have some salary cap space now with 4 wallabies (Isi, Marika, DHP & To'omua) off the books - I'm sure Stiles has a replacement lined up as we would be super thin in midfield otherwise - fingers crossed it's Kerevi

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
The solution might be further on in that article.

Guy Porter is a genuine gun, I'd be throwing cash at him if I was Nick Stiles.
He's not a 12 though is he? Maybe push Hodge back to 12 and find a Fullback (if no Kerevi)...also slim pickings.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
why isn’t rebels entering a team in qpr a realistic option? All the fringe players could build combinations (which some are doing at wests) I think if the financing/scheduling is achievable you could have rebels team playing Queensland team every second weekend in Melbourne footy grounds and then the other weekend they are doing day in/day out flights to Brisbane for their away matches.

I agree with most of the sentiment here that the NRC is imperative & needs bring back asap. Really hope Rugby Australia is looking at all avenues for 3rd tier development because status quo has rooms for inmprovements

We cant afford it, the rebel only just break even as it is because of state govt. funding in exchange for a bledisloe & lions test.

If we still fall short Paul Docherty tips some of his own in

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
With To'omua going by the sounds of it, the Rebels are shockingly short for cover at 10/12. Surely they have someone lined up. Even by miracle Kerevi comes onboard it doesn’t solve the back up 10 issue. Unless they are looking at a 10/15 option with Hodge shifting into another role.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
With Shute Shield & Hospital Cup on Stan, there'd definitely be commercial gains to be had by one of those competitions allowing Rebels and/or Force to enter a team.

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
We must have some salary cap space now with 4 wallabies (Isi, Marika, DHP & To'omua) off the books - I'm sure Stiles has a replacement lined up as we would be super thin in midfield otherwise - fingers crossed it's Kerevi
Losing Wallabies does not free up that much space in the salary cap as usually their salaries have Wallaby Top Ups outside of the salary cap, so similar to the Force unless the new comers have Wallaby Top ups the amount available to intice incoming players is very limited.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Nu’u is imo a very good 12, who has hopefully refined his tackling technique and reigned in his enthusiasm for the big hit

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Apparently, we're going after Kerevi and Thor.

In news that will likely start a domino effect, Matt To’omua will head overseas, paving the way for the Rebels to go after two of the biggest names in Australian rugby.

By releasing To’omua a year early from his lucrative contract, the Rebels are preparing to chase off-contract Wallabies star Samu Kerevi.

He isn’t the only one either, with the Rebels out to pounce on the rumbles at the Queensland Reds and try to lure Taniela Tupou down to Melbourne following next year’s World Cup.

The player movement comes as Rugby Australia transitions to a new contracting model, where the national body will sign up to 35 players themselves. The model is yet to be set in stone, but it will likely come into effect ahead of the 2024 season.

Were the Rebels’ wildest dreams to come true, the Super Rugby franchise would instantly become a genuine force after years of underachieving.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...s/news-story/6013018e59fd6cd457ed68189eb3cda3

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
Love the way Fox Sports are getting all the "Exclusives", especially after they dumped our sport as they thought it was no longer a tier one sport in Australia!!!

Clickbait????

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Love the way Fox Sports are getting all the "Exclusives", especially after they dumped our sport as they thought it was no longer a tier one sport in Australia!!!

Clickbait????
They've broken quite a few stories this year, it's a bit weird.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

Clickbait????

Potential new broadcast deal from 2024 onwards. Pleasing the new masters with some well-time articles, e.g. move back to SRAU.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So correct me if I am wrong but rebels only oz suoer rugby side where players go to other states local comps (QPR). I think this is the case which not a good look.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
With Shute Shield & Hospital Cup on Stan, there'd definitely be commercial gains to be had by one of those competitions allowing Rebels and/or Force to enter a team.

I just don’t get that - develop your local competitions surely is the way to go.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i think in an ideal world the Rebels players would/should play locally. They have in the past (it didnt help them or the locals) and i suspect they may again in the future. I quite like SouthernX's idea of a Melbourne team in the QPR or Shute Shield. However, at the current time and with the parlous state of the Rebels on field performances i think the squad playing in a competition that will improve them is the best overall solution. the local comp seems to be holding its own, the pathways and schools development is progressing well and although it would be great to see some of the home grown talent playing down here on a saturday, not the best for rugby in Victoria at present imo.