• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I just don’t get that - develop your local competitions surely is the way to go.
As someone that’s spent a lot of time in several local comps across Aus (primarily Prem rugby and Dewar) there is a continued myth around grassroots rugby, that’s spoken like it’s gospel. Almost like when mothers used to say don’t swim after you eat.

It doesn’t overly matter how strong your local comp is, chances are 20 people and a couple of dogs are turning up to watch it. Do these players make the comp better? Yes and no, Dewar is largely a social comp where players at all grades turn up for the post game beers or a throw around with mates, having a Rebels player in the side will have extremely little impact on this.

Back when I first started playing senior rugby Canberra were sending players to QLD on a weekly basis. Did it have an impact on their performances…. Maybe the Brumbies were highly successful at the time, surprisingly more so than they have been over the last 10yrs when players have been playing in Canberra.

Do these relationships with players playing local comps help the supporter base? The Brumbies crowds would clearly say no, on saying that as well, living in QLD I’m yet to meet someone that supports the Reds because xyz plays for the local team as well, people go to watch the Reds because of JOC (James O'Connor) and Taniela Tupou etc. not because Mark was a GPS/Brothers lock and also your local plummer.

The only reason why players are sent to local clubs is the appease the potentially poisonous relationship that club rugby can have in the media. Melbourne doesn’t have to contend with that attitude.

Players are better off playing in a semi-pro comp where players are training more than twice a week and strength and conditioning is a serious day to day proposition. And getting challenged with their onfield decision making. I’m not a big believer that you have to play the best to be the best, but I am a believe that to be the best, you at least need to be in an environment that somewhat challenges you. It doesn’t have to be against the worlds best but you need to at least be improving your decision making against a challenge.

My basic reasoning is club rugby in NSW is one of the best in the world, Hamilton/Waikato is a weaker standard local comp. Now which team has been a consistent success in Super Rugby and which has seen yo-yo results? Melbourne could have the worlds greatest club comp, but it ain’t making a big difference to the Rebels.

Auckland, NSW, Reds, etc. all have some of the best club competitions in the world. All largely have under performed in the last 20yrs

Last edited:

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
As someone that’s spent a lot of time in several local comps across Aus (primarily Prem rugby and Dewar) there is a continued myth around grassroots rugby, that’s spoken like it’s gospel. Almost like when mothers used to say don’t swim after you eat.

It doesn’t overly matter how strong your local comp is, chances are 20 people and a couple of dogs are turning up to watch it. Do these players make the comp better? Yes and no, Dewar is largely a social comp where players at all grades turn up for the post game beers or a throw around with mates, having a Rebels player in the side will have extremely little impact on this.

Back when I first started playing senior rugby Canberra were sending players to QLD on a weekly basis. Did it have an impact on their performances…. Maybe the Brumbies were highly successful at the time, surprisingly more so than they have been over the last 10yrs when players have been playing in Canberra.

Do these relationships with players playing local comps help the supporter base? The Brumbies crowds would clearly say no, on saying that as well, living in QLD I’m yet to meet someone that supports the Reds because xyz plays for the local team as well, people go to watch the Reds because of JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Taniela Tupou etc. not because Mark was a GPS/Brothers lock and also your local plummer.

The only reason why players are sent to local clubs is the appease the potentially poisonous relationship that club rugby can have in the media. Melbourne doesn’t have to contend with that attitude.

Players are better off playing in a semi-pro comp where players are training more than twice a week and strength and conditioning is a serious day to day proposition. And getting challenged with their onfield decision making. I’m not a big believer that you have to play the best to be the best, but I am a believe that to be the best, you at least need to be in an environment that somewhat challenges you. It doesn’t have to be against the worlds best but you need to at least be improving your decision making against a challenge.

My basic reasoning is club rugby in NSW is one of the best in the world, Hamilton/Waikato is a weaker standard local comp. Now which team has been a consistent success in Super Rugby and which has seen yo-yo results? Melbourne could have the worlds greatest club comp, but it ain’t making a big difference to the Rebels.

Auckland, NSW, Reds, etc. all have some of the best club competitions in the world. All largely have under performed in the last 20yrs
Really well said. Thanks for taking the time to write something of so much depth.

Without the NRC, I'd like to see some more key depth non-Wallabies, or future Wallabies, playing NPC in NZ. Teams like Southland seem to struggle year on year. This year is, albeit, different with Aus A but if the Rebels are partnering with Wests, why not with Southland to send half a dozen players there?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Do these relationships with players playing local comps help the supporter base? The Brumbies crowds would clearly say no, on saying that as well, living in QLD I’m yet to meet someone that supports the Reds because xyz plays for the local team as well, people go to watch the Reds because of JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Taniela Tupou etc. not because Mark was a GPS/Brothers lock and also your local plummer.

Yep good post and take your point. I guess really this is why playing in a nrc (semi pro) comp would be even better then shuffling off non wallabies players to club rugby including QPR. This is the ideal and in absence find the.m next best thing.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
They've broken quite a few stories this year, it's a bit weird.

I know we laugh sometimes but you have to wonder how many of their stories are genuine scoops or if they're having a browse here for anything that sounds interesting/makes sense.

For example the Taniela to Rebels chat was first discussed in the Reds 2023 thread over two weeks ago. In that same line of discussion it was mentioned that Mafi, Taniela and Kerevi are all mates and the Rebels would likely be pushing for the latter two to join Mafi ASAP.

Other news websites are more overt with their social media poaching, often directly referring to Facebook suburb groups they've infiltrated or directly screenshotting Reddit pages.

By the same token, the rumours that pop up on here have to start somewhere, so it's just as likely multiple people are getting fed the same goss.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
So our u/18 school squad has just been announced interesting to note that only 7 of the 24 have come out of the APS system (im counting trinity as an aps school because they play in the aps system even though they are not a aps school). Half of them are genuine public schools with a couple of christian schools thrown in

schools1.jpg

schools2.jpg

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
St Kevins put away the war chest? 10 years ago the VRU XV was the St Kevs XV.

I think the public schools have caught up. Skevs still brain everyone but they are still the only ones that’s offer scholarships. About 5 public schools offer rugby programs without the aps fees

Last edited:

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I think the public schools have caught up. Skevs still brain everyone but they are still the only ones that’s offer scholarships. About 5 public schools offer rugby programs without the aps fees

I think a lot changed when Mr Russell moved on. Still, Mr Culliver is the TIC of Rugby and still running a good show. From an APS perspective it Kevvies, Brighton, and Meelbourne fighting it out for top honours. Kevvies with the edge over Brighton this year.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think a lot changed when Mr Russell moved on. Still, Mr Culliver is the TIC of Rugby and still running a good show. From an APS perspective it Kevvies, Brighton, and Meelbourne fighting it out for top honours. Kevvies with the edge over Brighton this year.
Brighton really, that's impressive. Good to know they've turned it around.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Not quite Tupou, Sam Talakai signs until end of ‘24.

think we have enough props? Does this mean Gibbon is off?

Fairly sure he's sticking about. Reece Van Nek I think is on the move back to QLD, so might free up a squad spot for big Sam.

Agree it's good to have the big fella back.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fairly sure he's sticking about. Reece Van Nek I think is on the move back to QLD, so might free up a squad spot for big Sam.

Agree it's good to have the big fella back.
Yeah, I'd expect it'd be Van Nek to go, given both he and Talakai are tight heads