• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Pollard I think has a big future and if Uelese is off we should be chasing as they currently have 27 wallaby number 2s on their list.
I just don't see it with Lonergan, he appears to be your classic front rower picked because of what he brings out side of the tight 5.
Maybe it is just because of being an ex-prop (very Ex) but I want my row to be principally great in the tight particularly scrum and breakdown, line out throwing for the hooker obviously.
Lonergan seems great in the loose and that is a nice to have but he is poor in the scrum and only a serviceable line out thrower not exceptional at any of the core number 2 duties.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Or a Royal Commission into non-traditional spelling of anglo names. And I say that as someone whose sirname departs from the standard

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Spelling his name and comments about his skills both were wrong PP. Lonergan is one of the better lineout throwers in the country. His game against the Force recently was probably the best illustration of lineout throwing I've seen in a long time.

His scrummaging might be another matter atm but his play in the open is up there with the best of our present No 2s.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tim Horan on Stan saying Nick Stiles is going after Kerevi and Taniela Tupou

That would be nice
Why would Tupou move from reds to rebels. Can’t see it myself. Anyhow the tahs this season vs last season have shown how things can be quickly turned around with right coaching set up and recruitment. To me just not sure rebsls ever got it right with the right coaching set up. Ie not sure Foote the right person for the job and feel rebels might be better served going after the ‘Kerevi equivalent of coaches’. As rebels had the talent before but been wasted with imo inability for coaches of past to leverage that talent as part of a cohesive and well drilled team.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Why would Tupou move from reds to rebels. Can’t see it myself. Anyhow the tahs this season vs last season have shown how things can be quickly turned around with right coaching set up and recruitment. To me just not sure rebsls ever got it right with the right coaching set up. Ie not sure Foote the right person for the job and feel rebels might be better served going after the ‘Kerevi equivalent of coaches’. As rebels had the talent before but been wasted with imo inability for coaches of past to leverage that talent as part of a cohesive and well drilled team.
Tupou signed with the Reds after a conversation with QC (Quade Cooper), maybe he wasn't happy with the way his friend was treated by Thorn. I would suggest his reasoning all comes down to his relationship with Thorn, I don't picture Tupou as being a fan of the dictatorship style of Thorn.

I agree regarding Foote, thinking for coaches available or who would be a good fit. I think Timati Ellison over from the Saders would be worth the risk.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I am all for Kerevi if that is even possible. Highly unlikely I would suggest though, he will want to go to one of the Brumbies, Reds or Tahs if he does come back to Australia.
Tupou would be a great to have but it is not really our area of weakness, our propping depth is pretty good.
Coaching and the backs is where we really need strengthening.
We need pace out wide, both centre positions and a scrummie but all of them are less important than a coach with a plan.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Tupou is a tough one. I love having cult heroes in the #3 jersey and he'd be competing for hearts and minds with Cabous and Pone, but having seen him deal with a banana while simultaneously handling a weed whacker, I feel he'd be a valued member of the front row union down here.

Kerevi would be fucking excellent.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Our backline is the most impotent it's been since day 1. Kerevi would be a godsend. Surely would make Gordon & Kellaway much more threatening.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Our backline is the most impotent it's been since day 1. Kerevi would be a godsend. Surely would make Gordon & Kellaway much more threatening.
Kerevi does not pass enough to make the wingers more threatening, it's impoved but not the sort of center who unlocks your wingers.