• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Victorians Josh Canham, Isaac Kailea, Divad Palu have re-signed. Leafi Talatina has been promoted to the club side. Theo Fourie and Jaiden Christian have also re-signed.

That makes 7 Victorian players in the Rebels squad (with Uelese, Hosea & Leota).
Forgot Pone

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Let’s hope the borders stay open so it can be marketed properly this time. It’s a good concept, poorly executed this year with covid impacts.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
all forwards i am assuming

Canham a lock, Kailea a prop, Palu a centre/wing and Talatina backrow (no 8).

That makes 34 signed so far. Basically a full squad for most teams, but the Rebels seem to go over normally. 4 hookers for eg. 6 props with Matt Gibbon I don't believe to have re-signed yet. No Ioane yet too who I thought showed promise.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
IIRC it was a 2 year deal. I preferred the later timing as it was school holidays.

Its to try to cash in before afl starts & the vic govt. are desperate for an event sport or arts every weekend from boxing day till the start of the footy.

but I quite liked it anzac weekend this year had my little melbourne holiday

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Its to try to cash in before afl starts & the vic govt. are desperate for an event sport or arts every weekend from boxing day till the start of the footy.

but I quite liked it anzac weekend this year had my little melbourne holiday
The good thing about having it in round 2 is all teams are in with a chance at finals at that point, nothing is certain and hopes are still high (speaking from much experience here!).

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Canham a lock, Kailea a prop, Palu a centre/wing and Talatina backrow (no 8).

That makes 34 signed so far. Basically a full squad for most teams, but the Rebels seem to go over normally. 4 hookers for eg. 6 props with Matt Gibbon I don't believe to have re-signed yet. No Ioane yet too who I thought showed promise.
Matt Gibbon is already contracted for 2023.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
any insights from last nights Rebels review ? any mea culpas ? or is it business as usual, "next year we promise to do better". any actual critical appraisal of the clubs on field weaknesses and how do address them with specifics, not motherhood statements.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No link, I just know Matt and know he was signed on for next year before this season even started.

Also know UK teams are scouting props, his said he will stay loyal to the Rebels as they gave him a chance.
well it doesn't get listed unless there is a link with evidence!