• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Love seeing an add I can’t remember one since the first year. I do feel off the field the club is making some ground. I hope we can translate that onto the field.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Hi all, this is the Club here. Glad to be on board...

We've launched our 2023 membership campaign #BeARebel today, check out the video here

Then sign up at https://membership.melbournerebels.com.au/ ;)

As part of the membership this year we'll be offering new membership rewards (choose from 20+ items that will be delivered to you rather than collecting a cap and scarf at a game), the return and increase of guest passes, and many more fan experience opportunities in 2023 than in recent years.
Great to have you in our little group of tragics! We are mostly friendly and polite (except if one of them other teams get us riled up!).

MelbourneRebels

Herbert Moran (7)
Great to have you in our little group of tragics! We are mostly friendly and polite (except if one of them other teams get us riled up!).
Loyalists... are important.

On that note, we are running a member subcommittee all season long in 2023 so we will be taking member feedback on board reguarly. Had our first meeting last month, and will be having two more before the end of the year tackling topics like filling seats and also better engagement with clubs across Victoria.

MelbourneRebels

Herbert Moran (7)
Love seeing an add I can’t remember one since the first year. I do feel off the field the club is making some ground. I hope we can translate that onto the field.
For the first time in a few years now the Club has had some genuine planning time ahead of a season, and hopefully the right people in place off-field to make some positive changes.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I just want to see a progression on the field that is sustained. Like most of Australian rugby at the Rebels I see the same quite fundamental errors made by “professionals” year after year. It would be great to see some upskilling! I have regularly derided the team as having collectively the dumbest rugby brains of all the franchises. I have supported them from the get go, I love them, I have never thought they weren’t trying, in the past I don’t think the back room have helped much ( it appears very different and much much better now) but they have often played brain dead rugby. I’d love to see the basics performed and some thoughtful tactics and execution. Not much I know.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Hosea : no return date
Leota : see above
Pone : does anyone know how bad it actually was?
Philip : season
Monty : week 5 at best
Canham : hopefully fine
Gibbon : may need to be rested if he plays any part in spring as a front rower

seriously it the same shiz every season

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Hosea : no return date
Leota : see above
Pone : does anyone know how bad it actually was?
Philip : season
Monty : week 5 at best
Canham : hopefully fine
Gibbon : may need to be rested if he plays any part in spring as a front rower

seriously it the same shiz every season
To be fair, the squad needs depth. I am frustrated as anyone with the injures but there is no good having a competitive 23 and nothing after that.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
That sucks about Matt Philip.

A silver lining is an awesome opportunity now awaits for Angelo Smith. his training contract looks like it might end up being a super rugby gig.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
The problem is it is a catch 22 situation. The only way to bring in quality to the Rebels or Force is to offer them a starting place. If you are not an assured starter you may go to one of the big three to sit on the bench but you won't come to Melbourne or Perth. Therefore when we have injuries we don't have the necessary depth to cover but we can't get the depth because we can only recruit a core of starters. The Rebels and the Force will always be on the back foot when it comes to recruitment because we will never be any players first choice. It is the same old rule the rich get richer and the poor can please themselves.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Speculation time…. Rumours London Irish in trouble financially, any odds Coleman or Simmons wanting 1 more season in Aus for a late RWC push if they get pushed out of contract. Demand for services in locks is less than it would of been with the market having Eng internationals Ted Hill and Launchbury available