• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well Rumours that Uelese leaving so Mafi makes sense. Though that now leaves the hooking stocks in queensland fairly rubbish ...

I'd imagine Pone will stay with Talakai as back up.

I would have thought Talakai would have been a target of the Force as they will lose Medrano and likely Holmes. So perhaps Eloff (or Pone) is at the top of their "we desperately need a tighthead" list.
Lots of South Africans in Perth so Perth might appeal to eloff

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Lots of South Africans in Perth so Perth might appeal to eloff

Hang on, did I miss something? Eloff isn't going anywhere. Talakai might be just coming back for squad depth. I would certainly play Eloff on Talakai based on the current form in Super Rugby.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hang on, did I miss something? Eloff isn't going anywhere. Talakai might be just coming back for squad depth. I would certainly play Eloff on Talakai based on the current form in Super Rugby.
Exactly the rebels have Tuquiri and Fa’gaase on the books as well as VanNek and the young vic chap

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Now we have 4 public schools with rugby programs and then the private school comp. For Vic 18 schoolboy trails would love to see the private school boys v the public school boys

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
He was hired AS a thp - believe the quote was - if you need a THP, go to southafrica.
Either way he has performed very well at loose head. Him and Pone for mine are our two best props Eloff has a big engine and can be playing much longer stints than they do when they play together

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Either way he has performed very well at loose head. Him and Pone for mine are our two best props Eloff has a big engine and can be playing much longer stints than they do when they play together
I agree he did do a great job - but then you've jammed up the no.1 spot with Eloff, Orr and Gibbon.
I just believe Eloffs value is high and he doesnt have the Victorian ties like Pone.

If the force had signed Talakai (as I thought they should) then I wouldn't have this theory that Eloff is heading off.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Eloff would 100% be on the wallabies radar if he stays. He’s superb. Not far off AAT in my eyes, but not in the class of Tupou.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Eloff leaves it won't be for another Aussie side, I'm sure his manager would be receiving some big money offers from France as his the type of prop they love. Big with a big engine and no international commitments.
I hope he loves being in oz too much....yeh the worry is overseas money.....

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I just can’t see Jordy leaving unless it’s Japan. He struggles to get his body through a super rugby season. How will he play double the amount of footy?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Reg posted in a Wallabies thread that he heard Rennie would be picking Mafi in Wobs squad.

I had heard earlier in the season that Mafi was a big chance of heading to Japan, so I’m guessing there’s a fair chance he’s received some sort of RA top up to stay in Oz and sign with the Rebels. Being an uncapped international increases his appeal to Japanese teams so you’d have to think the offer to stay here was pretty good.

I reckon he will be the starting option for you guys.