• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Would love 3-5 games. For the young blokes who aren’t playing wallabies

What would be great regardless of whether we go it alone or stay in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (albeit hopefully with a significant change to the status quo) is some kind of formalised competition between our teams and some of the top JL1 clubs. Taking place either after the June/July test window or in the few months leading into the Japanese season. Say somewhere in October-December. This would be a great place for younger guys and wider squad members to get more quality game time.

I actually have a couple rough ideas for this in both scenarios. First, we go it alone. Find two more teams (I don't care what many Kiwis think I'm willing to put good money on the Drua going with us) to take it to 8. Full home and away season and the initiation of a Cup competition providing each team with an extra 3-6 games a season. Japan are interested in something like this and of all the SANZAAR partners our franchises have been very keen to engage with Japanese clubs so I think it could be organised rather quickly.

The second is we stay in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) but push for a much more fleshed out season so somewhere between 16-22 rounds allowing for home and away derbies etc. Alongside things like greater player movement (within limits of course to allay fears of weakening the Wallabies. Which is a whole other argument). We then look to make mid week tests more common and run a short Cup comp much like the Premiership Cup in the UK during this window with Japanese clubs again allowing for wider squad members and younger guys to get more quality game time. In addition to the extra time they'd be getting with the need for greater depth stemming from a longer season.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
What would be great regardless of whether we go it alone or stay in (SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) super rugby pacific) (albeit hopefully with a significant change to the status quo) is some kind of formalised competition between our teams and some of the top JL1 clubs. Taking place either after the June/July test window or in the few months leading into the Japanese season. Say somewhere in October-December. This would be a great place for younger guys and wider squad members to get more quality game time.
A tidy little pre-season tournament wit the 5 Australian super sides (or 6 with the Drua) and 3-5 league 1 clubs in that October-December window would be great - could be played as two pools with semi-finals and finals to get more experience in knock out rugby. It would need to be seen as enough of a product to generate the extra broadcast revenue it would require to run, but I don't think that's unachievable, particularly if there is growing interest in the Japanese market.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A tidy little pre-season tournament wit the 5 Australian super sides (or 6 with the Drua) and 3-5 league 1 clubs in that October-December window would be great - could be played as two pools with semi-finals and finals to get more experience in knock out rugby. It would need to be seen as enough of a product to generate the extra broadcast revenue it would require to run, but I don't think that's unachievable, particularly if there is growing interest in the Japanese market.

Six and 6 seems like a good fit. Two pools. Minimum 5 games each.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Out at Endeavour.

Bit far for me, also as much as this really hurts to say congrats skev's on winning the aps ....... again

SKEVS.jpg

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah, Box Hill was a long enough trip, EH is a good hour drive from me. Still tempting as House made the final and have not got down to watch them except when they played at the junior club.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Bit far for me, also as much as this really hurts to say congrats skev's on winning the aps ....... again

View attachment 14587

Being a St Kevins Dad, this was a very good win. Pack total bossed the Brighton lads and unleashed the gun backline. The Brighton backline is mostly y10, so they will go far in the next few years. But, a lot of young lads in the St Kevins' team too. At least two year 10boys, and a heap of yr 11 too.

The best part of the day - was the banter between the Kevins and Brighton supporter groups. St Kevins' last try - total pitch invasion. No Teacher could control that.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Yeah, Box Hill was a long enough trip, EH is a good hour drive from me. Still tempting as House made the final and have not got down to watch them except when they played at the junior club.

Unless they replace the Box Hill "hill" experience, as in the massive green grandstand, for the Endeavour Hills match, I think the viewing experience won't be as good. Happy for it to move about a bit, but they need to set up hosts for success.

Endeavour Hills has never been great for parking, and I see o the invite that limited EFTPOS facilities are available. I hardly use cash anymore, can't imagine others would too.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Being a St Kevins Dad, this was a very good win. Pack total bossed the Brighton lads and unleashed the gun backline. The Brighton backline is mostly y10, so they will go far in the next few years. But, a lot of young lads in the St Kevins' team too. At least two year 10boys, and a heap of yr 11 too.

The best part of the day - was the banter between the Kevins and Brighton supporter groups. St Kevins' last try - total pitch invasion. No Teacher could control that.
How big is the schoolboy footy culture down in VIC?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
How big is the schoolboy footy culture down in VIC?

no idea how big the schoolboy footy culture is down there…

But go take a look on Wikipedia at “wallabies from ACT” versus “wallabies from Vic”

I do know there’s a huge population disparity between the 2 places - but there’s also a lot of promise that Victoria can continue to produce our stars of today & breed our stars of tomorrow.

just need to figure out how best to tap into this player source where prospects are not lost out of state.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Unless they replace the Box Hill "hill" experience, as in the massive green grandstand, for the Endeavour Hills match, I think the viewing experience won't be as good. Happy for it to move about a bit, but they need to set up hosts for success.

Endeavour Hills has never been great for parking, and I see o the invite that limited EFTPOS facilities are available. I hardly use cash anymore, can't imagine others would too.
Come on, guys, it’s Endeavour Hills, not Broken Hill - get down there Saturday and support Victorian Rugby! I’ll be down there by 10:30 for game 1.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Looks like the state school comp is growing, or is it just more promoted?
Private school boy game is shrinking, state schoolboy comp is growing. Hopefully the state schools keep going from strength to strength and the private schools can arrest the slide. A lot of the issues with the private schools is the athletic directors at some schools have stopped handing out scholarships for rugby