• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
"The Rebels travelled to Fiji for the first time but left empty-handed, unable to turn a swag of possession into any points" rugby.com.au
deja vu, season 23 rinse and repeat the prior 11 years :(
11 years already. What has been Melbourne’s best season since they joined do you think?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
11 years already. What has been Melbourne’s best season since they joined do you think?
they've not had a successful whole season, but imo the first half of 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019 were their best. In 2018 Adam Coleman made arguably the dumbest decision of any captain in any sport when he turned down a gimme three to draw a game at AAMI, they lost and lost momentum and missed the finals by a point! in 2019 having won 5 of the opening 6 games Egon Seconds killed them in a game in SA where the penalty count was something like 23 -2, from memory the Rebels were still 15 - 20 points up about 1/3 of the way into the game. then they had a Wallabysque injury toll thereafter and only won another two all year to miss the finals again by a point or two. 2020 i agree was a great effort on the r0ad for 3 months.

MelbourneRebels

Herbert Moran (7)
It is worth noting it was 0-0 until the Rebels put their younger inexperienced players in the game with a sprinkle of Vets and they actually held their own, all Drua tries came from broken play which is where they are the most dangerous - I think this game was the perfect opportunity to blood in these young fellas, it is something that has been lacking at this level for a long time and the club will be better off for it in the long term.
This was the plan all along, two halves of teams testing the younger players in the second half. It was extremely humid and the match basically ended in monsoon conditions, so it wasn't ideal.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I don’t like the conditions excuse, because it’s not like the Drua played in perfect conditions and the Rebels didn’t. But valid reasoning for the young players on and losing momentum. Only a trial and means nothing at the end of the day

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
According to the Midi Olympique, Reece Hodge is in advanced discussions to engage with Aviron Bayonnais.

Bayonne: the Wallaby Hodge and Aprasidze on the shelves​

Bayonne never ceases to enliven the transfer market. After Arthur Iturria, Rémi Bourdeau or even Federico Mori, the Basque club could still obtain top-notch reinforcements. According to our information, Rowing is in advanced contact with the versatile three-quarter wallaby Reece Hodge (28 years old, 62 selections). The current Melbourne Rebels player would arrive after the World Cup at Jean-Dauger. Still behind, Montpellier scrum half Gela Aprasidze (25 years old, 23 caps) is also on the shelves of the club managed by Grégory Patat.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
As I posted elsewhere, despite Reece's detractors, he's still managed to amass over 60 caps by the age of 28. He plays a position that the Wallabies are weak in. Would be a shame to see him move on, even though his best games never seem to be for Melbourne.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
As I posted elsewhere, despite Reece's detractors, he's still managed to amass over 60 caps by the age of 28. He plays a position that the Wallabies are weak in. Would be a shame to see him move on, even though his best games never seem to be for Melbourne.

Good on him for getting paid, hopefully by then Mason Gordan comes on. His experience & adaptability around the back line will be missed by us & the wallabies

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I can't blame him for wanting make some hay while the sun shines.
He has been a great servant to both the Rebels and the Wallabies and at 28 is looking to maximize his earnings before he hangs up the boots.

MelbourneRebels

Herbert Moran (7)
Ourselves and Rugby Victoria are hosting a Rugby Summit on Tuesday at 6pm for all clubs, schools, and administrators. We'll be having two sessions on the night; on-field (HP) and off-field (sponsorship, marketing, and ticketing and membership).

Who should attend:
On-field: Director of Rugby, Senior Coach and an additional coach, physio or head of S&C
Off-field: President, Junior Coordinator, Secretary, or person responsible for sponsorship, social media manager

RSVP now https://typeformdeviomedia.typeform.com/to/pPvlY0aj