• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Peeps - heading down with 8 chums to the Bledisloe Cup game in Melbourne on July 29. Any decemt luncheons happening on the friday or the game day Saturday. We're open to anything - small or large.
Bells hotel in South Melb often has rugby functions. Might be worth a look

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Peeps - heading down with 8 chums to the Bledisloe Cup game in Melbourne on July 29. Any decemt luncheons happening on the friday or the game day Saturday. We're open to anything - small or large.
Powerhouse rugby club always have one on

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Just saw the team list and notice the new addition of schools and Victoria rugby club association next to name. Well done ro the rebels social media crew taking in the feedback from this very forum

SouthernX it is Community Round so it may be a one off. It is also the Victorian schools and clubs that they are an ambassador for. Not necessarily the school they attended or their junior club.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Just saw the team list and notice the new addition of schools and Victoria rugby club association next to name. Well done ro the rebels social media crew taking in the feedback from this very forum
Would be better if they listed the schools they actually went to. I don't mind them having Melbourne club associations (though it would make more sense if they actually played for them) but the entirely artificial school ties aren't great when some of the players have actual ties to Victorian schools

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Would be better if they listed the schools they actually went to. I don't mind them having Melbourne club associations (though it would make more sense if they actually played for them) but the entirely artificial school ties aren't great when some of the players have actual ties to Victorian schools
I didn’t even spot that lol. I did see the school names but I was too busy scouring the club allegiances.

I now realise the front row has representation from The Southport School & Nudgee College

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Doesn’t bother me. We have players presented from all sorts of clubs from all 5 teams in lists constantly that have some pretty loose ties.

It’s why I think we should all move on from these things, generally it’s schools they attended in yr 11-12 on a scholarship (in other words already identified as been a special player), premier clubs that they may not of played any more than a handful of games or played one season with hardly a mention from the grassroots team they played for before getting asked to go and join an elite premier club, or a nominated club they don’t really have any association with.

It’s all a little elitist. Private schools and premier clubs that might of contributed 50% of their rugby journey to professionalism and rarely no mention of the junior clubs they played a couple of hundred games for. Just comes across as appeasing a small population of rugby supporters to feel all warm and fuzzy about themselves, so they don’t kick up a stink.

As an example some guy might of played 10yrs in Rockhampton, gets identified as a prospect. Moves to the city and plays a season for Sunnybank and then is forever mentioned as a Sunnybank product. Or a product of BBC because of the 1.5yrs he was there with hardly a mention of the 10 previously at his local club.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I’m happy enough with the re-signing. The Rebels have taken some steps forward this year, are they winning…. No, but if they can take a similar sized step next season then they will be in a solid position. If these signings have some goal stipulations then I think it’s a good deal

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I’m happy enough with the re-signing. The Rebels have taken some steps forward this year, are they winning…. No, but if they can take a similar sized step next season then they will be in a solid position. If these signings have some goal stipulations then I think it’s a good deal
Same. Also, with Sampson also re-signed there is also a possible succession plan if things don’t won’t out. I feel our attacked has improved greatly since Tim arrived.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Same. Also, with Sampson also re-signed there is also a possible succession plan if things don’t won’t out. I feel our attacked has improved greatly since Tim arrived.
Very similar to the Force last year. They could score some great tries but couldn't close out games.

This season is an improvement on last season's total of 3 tries or whatever it was.