• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Brumbies, Friday 9 March AAMI Park, 7.30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Hi all

Based on the rebels form so far what would be a decent crowd this Friday? 12-13k? Hope so. Also it would be great if ratings get close to the 80-90k

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Probably will get a few more through the door regardless: the Masters (probably the best run bit of Rugby in the state) are doing a pair of show fixtures (Wannabees v Old Blacks, Over 45s at roughly 4.30pm then over 35s after) so we should see some extra friends and family in from that.

Those in from the Rebels improved performance? No idea.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There's probably a few who are still a bit skeptical. They have played convincingly but not against convincing opposition. It'll only pick up if you tuck away a few big teams.

It may not have any effect at all anyway. Storm have never really drawn monster crowds as far as i am aware and they win everything ever.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, in terms of media publicity.......... I've been saying this for a while now but the Rebels have none.

The local FTA networks abandoned them at least a few years ago and they're still not receiving any weekend post-match reports, which is really not good in terms of exposure if you're getting beaten out by nearly every other sport in existence.......... that may change with some success, but there's still a way to go.

In other news, the Brumbies should have Sio and Folau Fainga'a in the squad this week.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Hi all

Based on the rebels form so far what would be a decent crowd this Friday? 12-13k? Hope so. Also it would be great if ratings get close to the 80-90k

Unfortunately it is a long weekend in Melbourne. This will drop the crowd. 11k would be a good result.

D

daz

Well, in terms of media publicity.... I've been saying this for a while now but the Rebels have none.

The local FTA networks abandoned them at least a few years ago and they're still not receiving any weekend post-match reports, which is really not good in terms of exposure if you're getting beaten out by nearly every other sport in existence.... that may change with some success, but there's still a way to go.

Have to say, after the media black hole of the last few years (which we were the sole architects of, full stop), the Rebels are starting to get weekly local newspaper coverage, and they have near-constant radio advertisement on NOVA FM. Plus, the social media has ramped up again with a few keen interns working under a new savvy media manager.

At the Rebels strategy/meet the coach/fan engagement town hall at the start of the year, I very specifically and publicly asked our CEO why the Rebels insist on merely preaching to the converted.

The only substantially good thing Cox did for us was sell the license to the VRU to keep us alive. He killed any publicity momentum we had generated prior to his takeover, which is a good enough reason to be wary of private (and commercial) ownership. Social media dropped, sponsorship events dropped, fan engagement events like the Winter Ball dropped, player school visits dropped; in fact the Rebels became extremely isolated. In Melbourne, that is a financial and supporter death sentence.

There is a huge roll-out of Rebels activity down here in Melbourne (and wider Vic regions) that may not be seen from afar, but I cannot recall seeing this much Rebels community activity in many years.

Getting word out again is a slow burn, and winning helps. But I can't see how crowds will just increase significantly overnight. Having said that, I think Baden, Dave W and the Rebels backroom team are on the right path. I think the long game will pay off, but do we have that kind of time? Probably a question for another thread, I suppose.

D

daz

Geez you blokes are tough. on the weekend, JD played a direct role in 3 of the 5 tries, soft hands and deft passes. He is going well, lucky to have Genia, yes, but doing all that is asked of him. Of the australian 20’s only Lance has played as well imo. I love QC (Quade Cooper) but leave him in Qld

Can't fault DHP so far, nor Sefa. Koroibete still hasn't hit his straps yet so perhaps a return via the bench?

On the surface, I have to agree. How on earth we can bench or sub out Tommy E, JD or Jack M after 2 excellent games is beyond me. Of course we want a fit and firing Koroibete in the team, but week-in/week-out selection pain was always going to happen with the magnificent depth we currently enjoy. What a problem to have, so we can't be too critical!

Players need to push for selection, yes, but to drop key position players after 2 huge bonus point wins? Of course, we need to trust the coach and trust the process - it may be that match-ups in the Brumbies game require certain like-for-like players, and if so, I understand that.

D

daz

Unfortunately it is a long weekend in Melbourne. This will drop the crowd. 11k would be a good result.

Ed Sheeran playing at Etihad on Friday night as well. That will take a few away. In fact, I think most of Melbourne will be there.

It would have been better for the Rebels v Ponies game to be the support act for Ed. That would raise the numbers!

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ed Sheeran playing at Etihad on Friday night as well. That will take a few away. In fact, I think most of Melbourne will be there.

It would have been better for the Rebels v Ponies game to be the support act for Ed. That would raise the numbers!
Did you not hear, Ed Sheeran is a big rugby fan and will be performing pre game before heading off to Ethihad for his show.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
okp66FD.gif

D

daz

Did you not hear, Ed Sheeran is a big rugby fan and will be performing pre game before heading off to Ethihad for his show.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Cool. I'm heading onto Viagogo to "sell" my platinum membership seat for this Friday night only, for a thousand dollars. :)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
MATCH DETAILS
Friday 9 March 2018
Rebels v Plus500 Brumbies
(AAMI Park, Melbourne, 19:45)

TEAM
1. Scott SIO
2. Josh MANN-REA
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Rory ARNOLD
5. Sam CARTER (c)
6. Lachlan MCCAFFREY
7. Lolo FAKAOSILEA
8. Isi NAISARANI
9. Joe POWELL
10. Christian LEALIIFANO
11. Chance PENI
12. Kyle GODWIN
13. Tevita KURIDRANI
14. Henry SPEIGHT
15. Tom BANKS

REPLACEMENTS
16. Folau FAINGA’A
17. Faalelei SIONE
18. Leslie LEULUAIALII-MAKIN
19. Richie ARNOLD
20. Tom CUSACK
21. Matt LUCAS
22. Wharenui HAWERA
23. Andy MUIRHEAD

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good to see Sio, Fainga'a, Sione and Muirhead added to the squad...........

I'm not impressed with that backrow though.

Reactions: mst

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Coleman out for the Rebels

Melbourne Rebels team for Brumbies, Friday 9 March, AAMI Park, Melbourne:
  1. Tetera Faulkner
  2. Jordan Uelese
  3. Jermaine Ainsley
  4. Matt Philip
  5. Ross Haylett-Petty
  6. Lopeti Timani
  7. Angus Cottrell
  8. Amanaki Mafi
  9. Will Genia
  10. Jack Debreczeni
  11. Sefa Naivalu
  12. Reece Hodge
  13. Tom English (c)
  14. Jack Maddocks
  15. Dane Haylett-Petty
Reserves:
  1. Anaru Rangi
  2. Ben Daley
  3. Sam Talakai
  4. Colby Fainga’a
  5. Richard Hardwick
  6. Michael Ruru
  7. Billy Meakes
  8. Marika Koroibete

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
no second row back up (assume Timani will go there). Parling, Jeffries and Coleman all injured. advantage Ponies methinks.

D

daz

no second row back up (assume Timani will go there). Parling, Jeffries and Coleman all injured. advantage Ponies methinks.

I take it all back; our depth is shit! :)

Just goes to show, you can recruit as many big name expensive players as you want, and the rugby gods will still find a way of smacking you down.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We can trade you a lock for a backrower?

You can have Richie Arnold or Blake Enever, and we'll take Fainga'a or Hardwick.

Status
Not open for further replies.