• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Brumbies, Friday 9 March AAMI Park, 7.30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
no second row back up (assume Timani will go there). Parling, Jeffries and Coleman all injured. advantage Ponies methinks.

One side in terrific form and the other struggling. Rebels by 12, about 29 - 17. Goal kicking again to be the Brumbies Achilles Heel.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
interesting to have English as Captain this week - I would have thought Genia would be the choice as he just stepped into teh role of directing forwards and backs for the past two weeks. I hope he continues this week.
Does Koroibete play only one side wing? Sorry for asking such a stupid question

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Engo is officially vice captain: given he's in the starting line-up it would be really harsh and almost out of line to give Genia the captaincy.

I think Marika was playing right wing for the Wobs in the Autumn Internationals: but has only played left for both the rebels and storm. Sefa is able to play either wing, as is Engo, so regardless of the substitutions I think it's not an issue if Koroibete on the left wing continued.

Set piece is now a bit of a concern IMO.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
6 Michael Ruru
7 Billy Meakes
8 Marika Koroibete
Handy bench warmers these three. Imagine having Sefa running into you all night only for him to be replaced by Koroibete. Rebels by 14.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I still think the Rebels backrow is unbalanced, they need a more mobile unit in there to fetch and link

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
They will be looking to physically take it to the Brums in the first 50 or so, then bring on Hardwick and Fainga'a to take on those tired legs in the final 30/20mins.

Wessels has the luxury of changing the game plan mid match with the players available on the bench.

That is the best Aus super rugby bench i have seen in years. There's 4/5 players that would be starting for other teams.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
They will be looking to physically take it to the Brums in the first 50 or so, then bring on Hardwick and Fainga'a to take on those tired legs in the final 30/20mins.

Wessels has the luxury of changing the game plan mid match with the players available on the bench.

That is the best Aus super rugby bench i have seen in years. There's 4/5 players that would be starting for other teams.

He does,

And so far the last 20-30 minutes of each game have been our worst. Really need to finish off in the last quarter instead of taking our foot off the gas.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
He does,

And so far the last 20-30 minutes of each game have been our worst. Really need to finish off in the last quarter instead of taking our foot off the gas.

Seems to coincide with Sanchez taking his time on the bench.

T

TOCC

I still think the Rebels backrow is unbalanced, they need a more mobile unit in there to fetch and link

fetching? no.. in the first two rounds more turnovers and slowing down of the ball have been coming from counter-rucking rather then pilfering.

Link man possibly, but depends on you're interpretation of linkman. Mafi is a brilliant linkman if the outside backs stick near him when he is looking for an offload.. None are likely to play a second playmaker, but thats just a game plan interpretation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Brumbies have selected Fakaosilea at 7 so it's not like there is a huge mismatch in skillsets amongst the backrows.

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
oh dear.

In the herald sun's the Punt "After winning just four Super Rugby games last season, Melbourne Rebels are already two from two and will host the ACT Brumbies tomorrow night"

Well at least they got the day and opposition correct.

Maybe this was sent to the sun by the same unpaid intern who put 8pm as the Rebels game time last Saturday.

On the plus side, Rebels get a mention in an AFL dominated paper. Only three inches but it's all progress!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Based on recent form I would've dropped Peni and promoted either Taliauli or Muirhead to the starting team..........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe this was sent to the sun by the same unpaid intern who put 8pm as the Rebels game time last Saturday.

In their defence, there was a reasonable amount of confusion floating around about that game.

When the season draw came out, that game was scheduled for an 8pm kick-off and I believe was scheduled to be played in Singapore.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
good to see the side unchanged except for injury , RHP will hold his own i expect , big opportunity for him to get some brownie points in a congested position ,, the wounded brumbies will be dirty on last week and should go hard up front ,good test of our ability to play the game plan when under pressure ,,

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
good to see the side unchanged except for injury , RHP will hold his own i expect , big opportunity for him to get some brownie points in a congested position ,, the wounded brumbies will be dirty on last week and should go hard up front ,good test of our ability to play the game plan when under pressure ,,
Pretty worried about the line out this week. As soon as one of the locks comes off we will be very short of jumpers. I would have preferred to see Ha'angana, or maybe even Hosea, on the bench.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
In their defence, there was a reasonable amount of confusion floating around about that game.

When the season draw came out, that game was scheduled for an 8pm kick-off and I believe was scheduled to be played in Singapore.

Yes, tell me about it. I had great fun watching the Match in Singapre last weekend. In an Aussie expat Bar.

Oddly enough, I wasn't the only person in that Bar, or on my flight, who was caught up in that situation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes, tell me about it. I had great fun watching the Match in Singapre last weekend. In an Aussie expat Bar.

Oddly enough, I wasn't the only person in that Bar, or on my flight, who was caught up in that situation.

At least you still got to ditch the kids for the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.