• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs. Waratahs - 2011R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'm not convinced that starting Horne is the right move. I saw him in the curtain raiser at Nowra and he looked rusty and a bit dusty, especially on defence. He was grabbing at guys a bit - very un-Horne like.

No doubt he will surprise me again as he has since he was 15.

W

Waylon

He must be a bit short of a gallop and a bit tentative?
No doubt Mortlock will be the same? I suppose it equally applies to everybody round 1? If you bring him back round 3, maybe he's more likely to get busted. Deep end sink or swim?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Rebels starting 22 just named, I'll update the OP in a minute.

1 Nic Henderson
2 Ged Robinson
3 Greg Somerville
4 Adam Byrnes
5 Kevin O'Neill
6 Hoani Macdonald
7 Michael Lipman
8 Gareth Delve (vc)

9 Sam Cordingley
10 James Hilgendorf
11 Luke Rooney
12 Cooper Vuna
13 Stirling Mortlock (c)
14 Lachlan Mitchell
15 Julian Huxley

16 Heath Tessmann
17 Laurie Weeks
18 Alister Campbell
19 Jarrod Saffy
20 Nick Phipps
21 Danny Cipriani
22 Afusipa Taumoepeau

Don't know what to make of this lineup? Going on comments made in the media and by posters who watched pre-season, I thought Cipriani was a walk up start for 10. or 15. Also very surprised to see Weekes on the bench and Kingi miss out altogether.

Looking forward to seeing how Vuna and Rooney go on debut as well.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Don't know what to make of this lineup? Going on comments made in the media and by posters who watched pre-season, I thought Cipriani was a walk up start for 10. or 15. Also very surprised to see Weekes on the bench and Kingi miss out altogether.

how has vunas defence been during the trials, big ask, stirling has looked like he has dropped a fair bit of speed in the last couple of years, could turn into a weak spot for sure.

C

CanadianRugby

Looking at the Rebels lineup I actually can't see anyone who can slow down KB (Kurtley Beale), or Mitchell for that matter. As much as it hurts me I agree with WJ about Mortlock's speed, which is a bigger problem when you think about what's being asked of him in defense. Especially if Mitchell's defense is as bad as people are saying. Cheering for the Rebels, but really can't see how they win this game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

It doesn't look to be a side picked to win a game to me, it looks a side designed to not lose by much.

The pack is loaded workers and the backs have that Macqueen monster look about them.

I expect Mortlock, Vuna and Rooney to be used as crash ball yard makers and the Rebels to try to move the Tahs pack around a fair bit

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I think the Rebelution are going to look to slow it, but that the Tahs relative youth and power is going to be very hard to live with for the Rebs over 80mins.

Decent margin to the Tahs, especially if Barnes has his radar working.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
How many Scarfers are going to be at the game tomorrow night? I'm working my way down via a few wineries in Rutherglen and a visit to a mate's vineyard in Gippsland on Friday. The Rebel Army are going to get back to me with a venue for after-match beers.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Can we keep the political/racist/sexist shit out of here, please? There's a whole other section of the forum for that stuff. I know it's hard to keep your bigotry in check, but a little effort would be nice.

I'm all for trash talk but c'mon.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Sometimes these threads morph into Sportal type trash talk that is beyond what most would consider to be acceptable banter. The trashers will deny that is what they are doing, but judging from one year to another to another, 2011 to date has seen a drop in standards.

No doubt this comment will be greeted by a few old fart comments to which I would reply: please make posts that are hateful, as most sentient humans would define that word, to threads that have hate, or some variation of meaning in the title. This will leave other threads available to discuss rugby matters.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Sometimes these threads morph into Sportal type trash talk that is beyond what most would consider to be acceptable banter. The trashers will deny that is what they are doing, but judging from one year to another to another, 2011 to date has seen a drop in standards.

No doubt this comment will be greeted by a few old fart comments to which I would reply: please make posts that are hateful, as most sentient humans would define that word, to threads that have hate, or some variation of meaning in the title. This will leave other threads available to discuss rugby matters.

Reclaim the threads LG. I came here for the reason that this trash talking crap never went beyond the friendly banter you would have with your mates at the pub and there is serious Rugby chat. If a few notables get out of line the mods have to pull them into line and if they persist pull the cards.

All except me of course. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.