• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Is this a psychological ploy by Ed Quirk to get first shot at Higgers position

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-prn1/14495_10151322603485236_665200_n.jpg
ScottHigginbothamRedsTraining.JPG

Ed has put on a bit of condition. Hoping 2013 brings him the success he deserves. Great bloke by all accounts.

baz

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm not really sure that was down to great play by Harris. The AB's didn't really show up that night. As for hiding the kicker I'm not a fan of that, Harris is a 12 in my eyes and nothing else. If he doesn't make the team there I wouldn't pick him just for his kicking, I'd play him off the bench.

baz

Frank Nicholson (4)
yes agree, AB forwards didn't show up physically at ruck time and Wally's were desperate. becoz of sweaty slippery ball AB's couldn't get their offloading game going and when they reverted to plan B ie play territory and pressure Wally's in their own half, they couldn't find grass to give time for an effective chase. Harris kept putting ball back in their half. Result: stumped!
Remember he grew up playn against and with all the AB kickers. He clearly knew their game. Becoz television coverage is now so ball focussed, (aka League coverage coz evrybody else on the feild is doin nothin! AGGHH), you didn't see how he manouvered the back 3 to cut down AB's kick options
Link has some interesting calls to make
IMHO if QC (Quade Cooper) plays it'l be harris at 12
Taps is good but plays for himself too much to be a good fit with QC (Quade Cooper)
If no QC (Quade Cooper)..... not sure which way he'l jump
will be and interesting year ahead for Reds fans :)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I can't see how people think Harris is good enough to start ahead of Tapuai and/or Fainga'a. Taps is shaping up to be a long-term member in the Wallabies 22, he was our best back this year before injury, and he is all round the best 12 we have. Fainga'a is a defensive rock and I really believe he is the leader in the backs.

If Harris is to play anywhere, it will be at fullback or on the bench. If Lucas is starting at 10 (assuming we get rid of Quade), I would have Harris on the bench, Lucas is a more than capable goal-kicker.

baz

Frank Nicholson (4)
I can't see how people think Harris is good enough to start ahead of Tapuai and/or Fainga'a. Taps is shaping up to be a long-term member in the Wallabies 22, he was our best back this year before injury, and he is all round the best 12 we have. Fainga'a is a defensive rock and I really believe he is the leader in the backs.

If Harris is to play anywhere, it will be at fullback or on the bench. If Lucas is starting at 10 (assuming we get rid of Quade), I would have Harris on the bench, Lucas is a more than capable goal-kicker.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Agreed, Harris was a pretty solid FB for the Wobs. He didn't just fill the spot and kick, he actually made a couple of slick linebreaks. Can Harris produce their performance consistently? Probably not, but he could produce something serviceable.

Could Taps end up playing plenty of 13 for the Reds to accommodation Harris at 12? Yes, but like you said I think that'd be a mistake because Ant offers plenty (plus Taps is a much better 12).

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
First trial has been announced:

QRU Media Release: St.George Queensland Reds announce trial game in Toowoomba against Blues

The St.George Queensland Reds will intensify their preparations for 2013 when they host three-time Super Rugby champions the Blues in their opening trial game of the year in Toowoomba on Saturday 2 February.

The match, to be played at The Toowoomba Sports Ground, is the first major Rugby Union fixture in Toowoomba since the Reds hosted the NSW Waratahs in 2009.

It has been awarded to the region in recognition of the continued growth and efforts being made by Downs Rugby to engage the community and promote the code.

Reds Members and Downs Rugby Members will receive a priority purchase opportunity to secure their seat for the trial match before general public sale commences on Monday 10 December at 9:00am (presale information below).

Tickets for the encounter can be secured through Ticketek here: http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=REDSBLUE13

St.George Queensland Reds v Blues Trial Match Ticketing Information and Prices
Reds Member Presale: 12:00pm Wednesday 5 December to 11:00am Friday 7 December
Downs Rugby Member Presale: 12:00pm Friday 7 December to 12:00am Sunday 9 December
General Public Sale: 9:00am Monday 10 December

Grandstand Adult: $50
Concourse Adult: $30
General Admission Adult: $25
General Admission Children (Ages 4-16): $15
General Admission Family Pass (Two Adults + Two Children): $70
*Children under four years of age are free

Reds Director of Coaching Ewen McKenzie and Darling Downs product Greg Holmes travelled to Toowoomba on Wednesday to announce the trial match against the Blues.

“There is a rich and growing Rugby tradition in Toowoomba where the locals really embrace the sport, so it’s pleasing to have an opportunity to bring the Reds to the community for our opening trial game of the year,” McKenzie said.

“The chance to bring Rugby to Toowoomba is something the entire squad is excited about and being the team’s first trial game of 2013 just adds to the occasion as it’s the players first chance to push for selection in round one.

“The fact that there is only a fortnight between our trial against the Blues and our first Super Rugby game against the Brumbies in Canberra just adds to the importance of putting in a strong performance.

“There is only a limited amount of time for each player to impress before the season kicks off so it’s crucial that we see the group execute what we’ve been working on during the preseason.”

Holmes, who attended Downlands College in Toowoomba, said he was excited to represent the Reds in the Darling Downs region.

“Rugby has always had a strong presence in the Toowoomba community and it’s good to know that the game is continuing to grow in the area,” Holmes said.

“You would expect by taking the Reds to Toowoomba that you will see another spike in popularity for Rugby and encourage more people to support and play the game.

“On a personal level, it’s going to be an exciting time returning to Toowoomba and playing for the Reds in what will be an extremely important match for the side before the Super Rugby season begins.”

Toowoomba Regional Council Mayor Paul Antonio praised the decision to take the Reds and Rugby to the region.

“Rugby Union has a strong foothold in Toowoomba and it’s great to see two elite teams in the Super Rugby competition will be playing here for a trial match, that’s very good news for our community,” Cr Antonio said.

“I think the community will really embrace the opportunity to see these footballers who are very skilled, apply their trade here within our region.

“When you think of Rugby Union, you think of the Grammar vs Downlands match which attracts huge crowds to the city each year.

“Sports Tourism is a sleeping giant in Toowoomba’s economy, and we’re thrilled to have attracted a match like this to the region.

“We’re glad the QRU have chosen Toowoomba for this match and would like to see more games played here in the future.”

Queensland Sport Minister Steve Dickson said the announcement was great news for south-west Queenslanders.

“The match will be a must-see for thousands of locals, and it’s wonderful that some of Queensland’s grassroots regional communities will have the chance to attend a major sporting event in their own backyard,” Mr Dickson said.

The match will be the first of two trial games played by the Reds in 2013 and will also see local Toowoomba players feature in an earlier curtain raiser.

Rugby in Toowoomba has grown significantly throughout 2012 and Queensland Rugby is expected to announce a participation increase of more than 30% to over 15,000 by the end of the year.

Queensland Rugby’s Forever Reds Membership packages have also proven a popular item for Reds supporters in the Darling Downs region with the non-ticketed $65 Membership option entitling supporters to a number of exciting benefits and the opportunity to be part of the Reds Army.

2013 will be a year to remember for Reds supporters with The British & Irish Lions to make their first tour to Australia in 12 years. As part of their tour, at least half of the Reds 35-man squad will get their first taste of Test-like Rugby in a historic Tour match against the visitors at Suncorp Stadium on June 8.

As well as that first encounter against the Lions since 2001, the Reds have been handed a great Super Rugby draw at Suncorp Stadium in 2013 which includes home games against Aussies rivals the NSW Waratahs, Western Force, ACT Brumbies and Melbourne Rebels, plus Ewen McKenzie’s men will take on New Zealand’s Hurricanes and Blues as well as South Africa’s Bulls and Sharks.

The Reds are now calling on their Rugby community to show “strength in numbers” in 2013 as they target a record-setting 40,000 members for next season.

All 2013 St.George Queensland Reds membership information can be found at a new membership website: www.redsmembership.com.au.

ENDS

baz

Frank Nicholson (4)
i would be careful wot u wish for regarding QC (Quade Cooper). apart frm his off-feild shannagans, i believe he's a huge asset. QRU wouldn't be working so hard to keep him if they didn't think the same. AND the kiwis hate him. that tells me enuf. they're scared stiff of wot he can do on attack, and rightly so.
If QC (Quade Cooper) not around, I'll stick my neck out and say Link will go Lucas, Harris, Taps
I believe he rates Harris's play making ability/game vision highly, hence he can assist with making the most of Benny's sharp passing game at 10
When Taps learns his defensive roll at 13 he will be excellent. A natural ball runner with a good passing and kicking game
Finga now too 1 dimensional for modern multi-skilled game :(

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Along with Genia and Ioane, A.Fainga'a is among one of the few certainties each week IMO. He may not be a flashy running outside back, but fuck we would miss his defensive organization greatly. He is essentially an openside playing in the centers.

It annoys me how a lot of people seem to write him off. He hasn't cut it at International Level, that doesn't mean he isn't a bloody good Super Rugby player.

baz

Frank Nicholson (4)
Along with Genia and Ioane, A.Fainga'a is among one of the few certainties each week IMO. He may not be a flashy running outside back, but fuck we would miss his defensive organization greatly. He is essentially an openside playing in the centers.

It annoys me how a lot of people seem to write him off. He hasn't cut it at International Level, that doesn't mean he isn't a bloody good Super Rugby player.

baz

Frank Nicholson (4)
thats tru
u gotta say having options is a good thing for the Reds coz there's sure to be injuries.........

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Looking at the opinions of who should be starting in the backs, its worth noting that its going to be a long hard season, and injury/player fatigue will see all of those players mentioned taking it in turn to start.
I think even Sanchez should be on the bench occasionally, to keep him fresh.
My guess is that only he would have a mortgage (& QC (Quade Cooper) if he's around) for his position in the backs at present. There is going to be a fair bit of chopping & changing and pre-season training will undoubtedly reflect this.
Whether QC (Quade Cooper) is back or not, Link would still be feeling the pain of the fly-half losses in 2012 and will be training Lucas, Harris, Taps, in that position on a regular basis.
p.s. to Link - WG is not a fly-half

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Looking at the opinions of who should be starting in the backs, its worth noting that its going to be a long hard season, and injury/player fatigue will see all of those players mentioned taking it in turn to start.

Genia won't be back till well into the Super comp and then will have a long period where he will need a very light load. As I understand it, its a full knee recon and players take a long time to get back to their peak after one. Ben Robinson, although a prop, has only been a shadow of his old self and its been over 12 months since he went under the knife. Anyone expecting Genia to play at his brilliant best from round one needs to get off the hallucinogens. My expectation is that he'll be about 90% by the time the Lions get here. That means that Lucas, Frisby etc will all get plenty of game time right up till the finals. Link is a smart coach who learns from his mistakes. His overplaying of Genia previously won't be repeated.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
9 Genia Lucas Frisby
10 Cooper Lucas Lance Harris
11 Diggers
12 Tapuai Harris Ant Lance
13 Ant Taps CFS Morahan
14 Shipperly Davies Morahan Toua CFS
15 Morahan Toua Harris Lucas Lance Davies

That's the depth chart I expect for the Reds. Quade will play for them. His bio is still on the Reds sight and he was at training yesterday. We actually have a bit more depth this year in my view and in the long run the pain of 2012 my work out for the betterment of Qld Rugby.

Genia, Cooper and Diggers would be the only certainties in my book. The others can be moved around to suit.

baz

Frank Nicholson (4)
My guess is that only he would have a mortgage (& QC (Quade Cooper) if he's around) for his position in the backs at present. There is going to be a fair bit of chopping & changing and pre-season training will undoubtedly reflect this.
Whether QC (Quade Cooper) is back or not, Link would still be feeling the pain of the fly-half losses in 2012 and will be training Lucas, Harris, Taps, in that position on a regular basis.
p.s. to Link - WG is not a fly-half

lol

i think he's got that now

baz

Frank Nicholson (4)
9 Genia Lucas Frisby
11 Diggers
13 Ant Taps CFS Morahan

That's the depth chart I expect for the Reds. Quade will play for them. His bio is still on the Reds sight and he was at training yesterday. We actually have a bit more depth this year in my view and in the long run the pain of 2012 my work out for the betterment of Qld Rugby.

Genia, Cooper and Diggers would be the only certainties in my book. The others can be moved around to suit.

looks about rite to me

wouldn't trust Rocket at 15 and don't know enuf about Toua to comment yet

would gues he doesn't know the kicking game well enuf unless he's played 10 sumtime in the past

Un4tunatley for league fans, S15 will be more defensive than every and involve a lot of kicking and shots at goal

Hope comment QC (Quade Cooper) will play is rite. Along with Cruden, he is 1 of the only players in the world that can unlock modern defences with his running and passing game.

AND will certainly put bums on seats :)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If Toua can stay fit, something he has struggled with, he could be anything. They obviously rate him highly too as most players with his history would have been cut by many teams.

Davies at 15 is an option depending on the game plan Link wants to play. He is lightning quick and would be a real threat to any team that didn't have a good kick chase.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
People rating lucas over harris is laughable escpecially in the kicking stakes. Harris was a a fantastic 10 he is no gamebreaker but he has alot more versatility than lucas i.e running game.
Lance is more of a 12 he player really well there this year before the injury....i also think he is a handy fullback.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
9 Genia Lucas Frisby
11 Diggers
13 Ant Taps CFS Morahan

Mostly agree, although I'd put CFS and Toua as depth for the No. 11 wing spot and Lance and Toua can also cover 13 as well if stocks get low.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
People rating lucas over harris is laughable escpecially in the kicking stakes. Harris was a a fantastic 10 he is no gamebreaker but he has alot more versatility than lucas i.e running game.
Lance is more of a 12 he player really well there this year before the injury..i also think he is a handy fullback.
I'm going to disagree TD. Lucas has quite a good running game and IMO is a more versatile 10 than Harris. What I like about Harris is that he is an exceptional goal kicker who seems very reliable and does the simple things, like running on to the ball and into a gap, very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.