• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I have not seen Lucas ball running ability since last time he played premier grade. In broken play Lucas is ok at Super 15 level but he has hardly carved though a team since perhaps the Sunnybank vs Gold Coast GF years ago...
Lucas to me is very run of mill and tradesmen like but his running game is ineffectual unless it is in broken play when make he will get a yard or 2. Where as even on shear size alone Harris bends the line even at first receiver off a ruck, scrum or line out.
When harris gets into a dodgy position he at least has the ability to run with strength and enough guile so he at least gains parity where as this is something lucas and even cooper struggle with.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
People rating lucas over harris is laughable escpecially in the kicking stakes. Harris was a a fantastic 10 he is no gamebreaker but he has alot more versatility than lucas i.e running game.
Lance is more of a 12 he player really well there this year before the injury..i also think he is a handy fullback.
I would also respectfully disagree with that. All you have to look at is how both players performed at 10 this season. Lucas looked far more comfortable and is much more of a playmaker then Harris. Personally, I see Harris as an out-and-out 12. His running game suits it. Lucas is also better defensively then Harris, which is no mean feat.

We are lucky to have such depth, but knowing our injury luck, we probably won't even have the opportunity to pick our best 15 (touch wood).

baz

Frank Nicholson (4)
lol

i think he's got that now

even tho i thot it was an error when at the game, i did understand why Link played Genia at 10. He wanted to continue the game plan of playing wide-wide to tryn stretch the defence. Of Harris and Genia, Genia does have the better longer pass but not the kick and run options, OR game vision of a 10.
10 is the most demanding position on the feild, particularily behind struggling forwards.
IMO BB is stil our most complete 10 but often suffers behind weak forwards (a fit LLF may change that view)
Like all 10's, when his forwards are struggling, he has limited options and so looks ordinary
If he was behind the AB forwards, he would likely look as good as Carter
interesting how even 'the worlds best' Carter was underperforming and pulled agnst POMs. Reason: virus, tired or woteva, the forwards were losing the up front battle and so Carter looks avg

baz

Frank Nicholson (4)
I have not seen Lucas ball running ability since last time he played premier grade. In broken play Lucas is ok at Super 15 level but he has hardly carved though a team since perhaps the Sunnybank vs Gold Coast GF years ago.
Lucas to me is very run of mill and tradesmen like but his running game is ineffectual unless it is in broken play when make he will get a yard or 2. Where as even on shear size alone Harris bends the line even at first receiver off a ruck, scrum or line out.
When harris gets into a dodgy position he at least has the ability to run with strength and enough guile so he at least gains parity where as this is something lucas and even cooper struggle with.
correct
speed and accuracy of his ball presentation is also 2nd to none. Link (or possibly Chook) quickly recognised this, hence he became the Reds preferred 12 in 2011 until injured. His goal kicking wasn't really recognised and utilised until 2012

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
At the start of 2012 season the reds were playing Harris at 10 and Lucas at 12 and it didn't seem to be working. perhaps it just needed more time, who knows. After a couple of misfiring games, the reds switched the two around and I thought the backline played better with the culmination of the reds/sharks game in Durban where it REALLY looked like it was firing until both players went down injured in the space of about 10 minutes and everything went to shit.

Perhaps Harris would be a better 10 now than then - I don't know, but I like him in the centres as he strikes me as the kind of guy that runs into the gaps better of passes - which is typically more of a centre thing to do.

*edit* - both are good players and I think even at the start of 2012 season I was pushing for Harris at 10 but the early season performances changed my mind and I would switch them now.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
People rating lucas over harris is laughable escpecially in the kicking stakes. Harris was a a fantastic 10 he is no gamebreaker but he has alot more versatility than lucas i.e running game.
Lance is more of a 12 he player really well there this year before the injury..i also think he is a handy fullback.
Harris can't pass from left to right over 5m. When he does try he starts crabbing across the field and uses up the space for his outside backs. Harris would have a better kicking game than Lucas though and he showed it in the Premier grade GF. Plus he hardly misses when going for goal.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Poor McDuling. Going down the path of Pat O'Connor and Al Kanaar of promising players whose potential is not met due to injury.

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
Absolutley gut wrenching.. A travesty.

Although I do not think it will end his career, and I think he will be kept on at the Reds on a redecued wage.
I can't see the reds hanging on to him now, the potential for other injuries is to great. I think they will get him through his rehab etc then good bye.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Is it a whole of season injury for McDuling?
Who's got more info on this?
And if it is a whole of season injury, can the Reds get a replacement in their squad of 30?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Is it a whole of season injury for McDuling?
Who's got more info on this?
And if it is a whole of season injury, can the Reds get a replacement in their squad of 30?

At least 6 months for an ACL. Cooper took 7, Genia will be about the same. Probably be into July by the time he is ready and i don't think they would risk him.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
With Will Genia recovering from a knee reconstruction and young gun Nick Frisby also returning from surgery, utility back Ben Lucas is likely to start the season at halfback.
(Source - Same article quoted by Ignoto )
Plus Frisby is recovering from surgery apparently? I hadn't heard about that one. I guess that puts to rest the speculation about Lucas or Harris at 10. Lucas 9, Harris 10 I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.