• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
What to do with Harris? We have to fit our goal kickier in somewhere and I kind of liked what he did show at 15 for the Wallabies. I think he could be capable of playing that Pete Hynes 2010 type of role for us. His kicking game and good judgment at drawing the man and distributing will bode well for the Reds at fullback.

Then that raises the question of what to do with Morahan?

T

TOCC

Play Harris at fullback I would imagine...

It's an interesting dilemma, a Wallaby is going to miss out at some point..

Has Luke Morahan recovered from his knee injury?

9. Frisby
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Taps
13. Fainga'a
14. Shipperly
15. Harris

That leaves quite a few quality outside backs on the sideline: Morahan, CFS, Davies.. Also we have Lance and Lucas as reserve fly-halfs

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I always think of Fainga'a as the rock in the Reds back line, but I'm starting to think his spot is up for grabs.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

T

TOCC

Yeah i sort of agree, if anything i think Harris may have his position up for grabs... i guess it depends on how well Cooper is kicking..

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I always think of Fainga'a as the rock in the Reds back line, but I'm starting to think his spot is up for grabs.

Please do so when you lot come down here and play us. Also, when we play you again later on.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Thanks I wasn't sure which way we should go. But you brumbies guys tend to have little time for Ant. What's going on? Just to be clear I don't think Ants game has slipped but I think other players are stepping up.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Maybe because he's a Canberra lad. We all got to see how just brutal he used to be in club rugby here and how influential he was, so we know just how valuable what he brings is.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

BLASPHEMY!

Haha. I think he is a must, his talk and defensive organization is integral to the backlines defensive structure. But I can understand where you are coming from, we have so many quality backs when they are all fit, it will be hard to fit them in.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I seem to remember this time last year lots of us couldn't find a place for Ant Fainga'a in our backline, me included. Injury caused lots of disruption to our backline this year, but it improved considerably the game he return from injury from memory. He may struggle to make the step up to be a Wallaby fixture going forward, but to my untrained eye seems invaluable in the Reds backline. His contribution in defence is enormous - both his actual tackling and talk/organisation. But at super rugby level he also seems to be more than competant in attack - attacking the gain line and capable of some deft touches.

Harris seems to me to be a good enough player to be able to make the transistion to being a solid 15. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but he seems to have a good foundation to his game.

On the other hand, while I like Morahan and he is capable of being exceptional on his day, IMO he needs to step up on a consistent basis to demand a spot in the team. Here's hoping he does just that.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Ant is a rock. We are poorer without him. He does so much of the unfashionable stuff that allows other players to be more expansive.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The start of the 2013 (whoops) season is going to be a very hard one for the Reds.
The first game is against the Brumbies, in Brumbies land. Jake White, a world cup winning coach and twice IRB coach of the year, has done an amazing job on this team in his commencing year and has proved he is a top coach. The Brumbies are frustrated on two counts - their failure to make the finals by losing to the Blues, and the lack of representation in the Wallabies. So they will have plenty of motivation.
The second game is against the Waratahs at Suncorp fortress. They are looking for inspiration in their new coach, Cheika, who took Leinster to winners of the Heineken Cup. The Waratahs in the recent Wallabies'Spring Tour were virtually the forward pack, Sharpie & Ben Alexander being the notable exceptions. Folau on the wing for the last 20 minutes could be their X factor.
The Reds are going to need to have their best side up & running. Those first two games could be season defining. 'Link' McKenzie is going to need all his guile & cunning.
Personally, I am of the opinion the Brumbies game will be the harder to win of the two.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
The start of the 2014 season is going to be a very hard one for the Reds.
The first game is against the Brumbies, in Brumbies land. Jake White, a world cup winning coach and twice IRB coach of the year, .

Is 2013 a wite off

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
emuarse I prefer to look at the start of 2013 like this:

The Brumbies and the Tahs will have an incredibly difficult start to the season with both facing the 2011 Super Rugby Champions in the first two weeks of the comp. The Brumbies having possibly the only advantage of playing the Champs in Canberra. Unfortunately for the Ponies, their recent home ground record against the Reds is not great, having not beaten the Reds at Canberra for nearly 1000 days - an imposing hoodoo to overcome! With next to no representation in the national side, the Brumbies squad will have had played little Rugby since mid 2012 and you can expect to see plenty of rust.
The Waratahs will have the unenviable task of playing the Reds at their fortress, Suncorp Stadium. Starting this year with a new coach, and the majority of the squad weary from an lengthy international season, the Tahs may struggle to get going against what is sure to be a rampant QLD Reds outfit, bristling with confidence after belting the Brumbies in week one.
One thing is for sure in these local derbies; they will be massive fixtures. There can be only one result though, Reds to win both and head into round 3 undefeated. We are RED!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.