• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Yeah BOD isnt off contract/available until the 2014 season... He will be 34/35 then, i think his time may have passed by that point..
He would still undoubtedly be welcomed down under, but wouldn't be of the same quality that most people have come to expect of BOD.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
ECA, you could be right i guess about butler. I just know that the deal butler got offered was called a rookie contract. I just assumed this was eps

J

Jiggles

Yeah BOD isnt off contract/available until the 2014 season. He will be 34/35 then, i think his time may have passed by that point..
He would still undoubtedly be welcomed down under, but wouldn't be of the same quality that most people have come to expect of BOD.

I wouldn't really want BOD to be honest. We are getting in great crowds and I don't think his name would add many more bums on seats. Not many of the kids, casual fans etc. that make up a lot of the Reds crowd these days would really no much about him.

Secondly he would bump one of our young backs out of the starting line up. Personally I would like to see a Taps-Fainga'a/Morahan centre pairing in 2013, and I would be pretty dirty if we paid over for an ageing star that won't really contribute to the long term success of the Reds, let alone the Wallabies.

T

TOCC

I wouldn't really want BOD to be honest. We are getting in great crowds and I don't think his name would add many more bums on seats. Not many of the kids, casual fans etc. that make up a lot of the Reds crowd these days would really no much about him.

Secondly he would bump one of our young backs out of the starting line up. Personally I would like to see a Taps-Fainga'a/Morahan centre pairing in 2013, and I would be pretty dirty if we paid over for an ageing star that won't really contribute to the long term success of the Reds, let alone the Wallabies.

2012 Reds are a different team to the one in 2010... It's just interesting to read that he was a potential option back then

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
And Jonah Placid...please.

I had not seen any schoolboy Rugby until the AUSvNZ game on the weekend and since watching that I am a fair deal more optimistic about the future. I know they're only schoolboys but there's some talent coming through. Placid looks like something very special and he's a QLD lad to boot.

Probably the best bit though - a forward as the goal kicker. :D

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I had not seen any schoolboy Rugby until the AUSvNZ game on the weekend and since watching that I am a fair deal more optimistic about the future. I know they're only schoolboys but there's some talent coming through. Placid looks like something very special and he's a QLD lad to boot.

Probably the best bit though - a forward as the goal kicker. :D

Why is it that our school boys have had the wood over NZ for the last 5 or so years, but we struggle at U20s against them, who are extremely dominant?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We seem to match up better when they are boys as opposed to men.

You look at the NZ U19 teams and their forwards are normally massive and very strong. That extra year or so seems to turn their team from boys into men.

Our U19 team seems to still mostly consist of boys.

armatt

Fred Wood (13)

I had the privilege of seeing every TGS game and Jonah played some excellent rugby across the entire season very consistently.

I think he has a twinged hammy but aside from that has shown no particular susceptibility to injury. Great promise.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
We seem to match up better when they are boys as opposed to men.

You look at the NZ U19 teams and their forwards are normally massive and very strong. That extra year or so seems to turn their team from boys into men.

Our U19 team seems to still mostly consist of boys.

Didn't see too many boys running around at ballymore on saturday. a good game with some very talented footballers running around

T

tranquility

Is Jonah a legitimate Toowoomba boy, or a ring-in? and has he always been a gun or a latish bloomer towards the end of high school?
Did he play QLD 1?

W

What2040

The Reds (and Tahs) produce quality youngsters year in and year out. Some years are better than others. To me the secret in bring boys to men is nurturing them on the journey. That means that most should come thru the ranks of Colts and Premier grade to give them plenty of tough rugby and make the transition. I realise that most play club but IMO players shouldn't be in ANY Academies until they have played at least 1 year of Prems. Bit different to that exceptional player who steps up into the full contract immediately (generally to keep another Franchise from signing him)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why is it that our school boys have had the wood over NZ for the last 5 or so years, but we struggle at U20s against them, who are extremely dominant?

Check the match thread in the schoolboy rugby section, lots of comments about why in there.

To sum it up, no pathway to get them into a pro environment straight after school.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Is Jonah a legitimate Toowoomba boy, or a ring-in? and has he always been a gun or a latish bloomer towards the end of high school?
Did he play QLD 1?
There is an article in todays Rockhampton paper about him being from here. Not sure how long ago or for how long though.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
So are the reds going to sign this lad or what.

Is there space in the EPS for a winger/fullback?

I reckon a year in the 7's would do him good, then EPS in 2014 and a rookie contract in 2015 if he looks the goods.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
So are the reds going to sign this lad or what.

Is there space in the EPS for a winger/fullback?

I reckon a year in the 7's would do him good, then EPS in 2014 and a rookie contract in 2015 if he looks the goods.

When there's a talented played like him who looks like he'd be every bit a star rugby league player, you don't care what Super Rugby team he ends up in as long as he ends up at one.

Status
Not open for further replies.