• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

England. I know he left his premiership club recently. Don't think he made the NZ tour eithet

T

Tip

Just listened to the Podcast and Larkham had some pretty interesting things to say.

What I noted most of all is that the Brumbies have pretty much finalized their squad for next year, with all but 3 spots remaining out of 32.

Which got me asking the question, how many squad spots do the Reds have left to fill. Probably 2 or 3 times that?

It's not the best position to be in TBH. Pre-season starts now for all players that aren't in the Wallabies squad. I remember reading that Michael Foley(?notsure?) said that it takes 2 years to get a club player up to speed with Super Rugby in terms of strength, conditioning and skill. We seriously need these players in the Reds system now beefin up. Skelton for instance, can still barely make it to the required 55 - 70 minutes for a second row.

On the other hand, can't wait till Thursday night's game at Ballymore! I'd love to see this thread populated with previous no-names from the NRC. I for one, have a very sore brain after a month of speculating who this mysterious signed All-black capped 6/8 is!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
By more relaxed I was more focusing on him playing for fun. He seems to put immense pressure on himself and sometimes that can be an issue for players who are out of top form.

Also I don't think he is far away from his best. He still has a big impact but needs to get back to where he was.

A step down might bring him back to the game of Rugby and less about "Brand O'Connor."

neverhasbeen

Stan Wickham (3)
Just listened to the Podcast and Larkham had some pretty interesting things to say.

What I noted most of all is that the Brumbies have pretty much finalized their squad for next year, with all but 3 spots remaining out of 32.

Which got me asking the question, how many squad spots do the Reds have left to fill. Probably 2 or 3 times that?

It's not the best position to be in TBH. Pre-season starts now for all players that aren't in the Wallabies squad. I remember reading that Michael Foley(?notsure?) said that it takes 2 years to get a club player up to speed with Super Rugby in terms of strength, conditioning and skill. We seriously need these players in the Reds system now beefin up. Skelton for instance, can still barely make it to the required 55 - 70 minutes for a second row.

On the other hand, can't wait till Thursday night's game at Ballymore! I'd love to see this thread populated with previous no-names from the NRC. I for one, have a very sore brain after a month of speculating who this mysterious signed All-black capped 6/8 is!

I was speaking with RG at the Semi finals and he said they only had 4 spots left to sort out. I didn't ask what positions they were or who had been signed as I had the feeling he wouldn't disclose this even if I asked.

I spoke with one of the players on Tuesday and he said they don't even know any of the new players that have been signed.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Meh - would have wanted him more as an S&C understudy and advisor than a player at 40 years young (also the opposite of the player profile we're looking for as a few have already point out).

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The Force have gone and signed Steve Mafi from Leicester. He's a Tongan born and capped, only 24 and he wants to use the sevens loophole to become wallaby eligible again. He's literally the exact sort of backrower we've been looking for and we missed him for whatever reason. I bloody hope the reds have something good to offer us when the squad is announced because I just can't see where we are going to source players of the type, experience and calibre we need in the positions we need to recruit them in.

T

TOCC

Steve Mafi is more of a lock then a flanker, I'm not sure he is exactly the type of player the Reds need with Horwill and Simmons the starting second row.

Even if he can play blindside that doesn't solve the Reds issues, Shatz, Quirk, Browning and McDuling are all blindside flankers, the Reds need a number 8.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Force have gone and signed Steve Mafi from Leicester. He's a Tongan born and capped, only 24 and he wants to use the sevens loophole to become wallaby eligible again. He's literally the exact sort of backrower we've been looking for and we missed him for whatever reason. I bloody hope the reds have something good to offer us when the squad is announced because I just can't see where we are going to source players of the type, experience and calibre we need in the positions we need to recruit them in.
Sydney born and bred, Tongan capped.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah sorry that's what I meant. Aussie born, Tongan capped. He plays 6 at Leicester.

It's kind of silly to say we don't need a 6, we need an 8. If your 6 is a massive bopper it works to have an 8 like Schatz. If your 6 is Quirk, an 8 like Samo gives you better balance.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
How does the 7's loophole work?

Status
Not open for further replies.