• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Wonder what the position of Players Rep to the board actually means. Given Big Kev is the players rep and the aforementioned discussion concerning displeasure with the caoching staff et al. Does that mean if he is unhappy more notice would be taken by the QRU board, or is that title just something extra for the resume.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he's actively involved. Obviously misses meetings occasionally, but he'd be across most stuff. I'd suggest he would be relied on quite substantially to have a say in how the current coach is going.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Reds should look at signing Sona Taumalolo. Tongan International LH prop, played for the chiefs before moving to Perpignan in the top 14.

Perpignan have just been relegated so he is available and at 32 he probably has a couple seasons left in him (props mature later in their careers).

I'm usually not a fan of marquee players, but the reds have had great success in the past bringing in proven experienced players like Samo. Plus it's not like he's just a saffa or kiwi journeyman - he's a real deal marquee player with a cult following.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Surely you guys should be wanting to recruit a tighthead if you're recruiting a prop at all.

Both Daley and Holmes are way past their best, you'd be wanting a TH so both Slipper and Anae can play loosehead along with Owen and the new bloke on the other side.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Where are all the QLD locks at? Rebels' 3 are from NSW, Carter and Fardy are from NSW and so are Coleman and Wykes. Then there's McDuling in the the QLD set up. Seems like Simmons and Horwill at the QLD locks in Australia.

It is strange for sure given it has been a strong position in the past for QLD rugby.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Tumblr_inline_mm163uHay91qz4rgp.gif

T

TOCC

TOCC - Sharpe was the Captain of the reds when he signed for the Force.
Being a captain and moving states isn't without its precedent, especially if the player is unhappy.

Contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on these days. Everyone has a price. Just ask Ben Mowen.

I'd be happy to be wrong about this though.

Nathan Sharpe wasn't the reds captain, he was as much the Reds captain as Quade Cooper or James Slipper are, he filled in when the appointed team captain(Elton Flatley) was injured, Nick Stiles was the vice captain. I think he only captained on 2 or 3 occasions, hardly comparable to Horwills 6 year tenor as captain...

Ben Mowen didn't break a contract, he wasn't contracted to the ARU for 2015. The only cases of players moving states mid-contract in Australia have been on compassionate reasons or when clubs have released them for playing time..

Horwill is contracted by both the ARU and Reds for 2015, he won't be going anywhere..

Moving along .

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Don't know if it has been discussed, but Sean McMahon, how did we let him slip through our fingers?

Nudgee College product, played for GPS countless times, was in the Australian Under 20's and 7's programs, yet to my knowledge he was never even in our Wider Training Squad?

I know it is easy to say "what if" or look at things in hindsight, but shit we could of used a player like him.

The thing that annoys me more is that our current 2014 Squad, we only have 3 contracted EPS, meaning two spots were available. Something that needs to be corrected in 2015.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
And I also agree we need to look overseas for a prop.

So many good Georgian and Argentinian props running around.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Don't know if it has been discussed, but Sean McMahon, how did we let him slip through our fingers?

Nudgee College product, played for GPS countless times, was in the Australian Under 20's and 7's programs, yet to my knowledge he was never even in our Wider Training Squad?

I know it is easy to say "what if" or look at things in hindsight, but shit we could of used a player like him.

The thing that annoys me more is that our current 2014 Squad, we only have 3 contracted EPS, meaning two spots were available. Something that needs to be corrected in 2015.

It's probably a case of Curtis Browning being another backrower and being a year older than him.

If it was the other way around, maybe the Reds would have McMahon and Browning would be elsewhere.

Similar to the Tahs missing out on George Smith because Phil Waugh was a year older.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
It's probably a case of Curtis Browning being another backrower and being a year older than him.

If it was the other way around, maybe the Reds would have McMahon and Browning would be elsewhere.

Similar to the Tahs missing out on George Smith because Phil Waugh was a year older.

We could have had both though, as Curtis was offered a fulltime contract (and rightfully so), but we had that space in the EPS.

To my understanding, the only backrower in the WTS is Michael Gunn.

Seems like a big oversight from RG and the coaching staff that they have someone like McMahon playing club rugby up here, and not even offering him an EPS (same as the Rebels), when we have next to no depth in the backrow outside of our full-time contracts.

No slight on the Rebels, but you'd think a Brisbane boy would take the Reds offer if it was the same (EPS).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We could have had both though, as Curtis was offered a fulltime contract (and rightfully so), but we had that space in the EPS.

To my understanding, the only backrower in the WTS is Michael Gunn.

Seems like a big oversight from RG and the coaching staff that they have someone like McMahon playing club rugby up here, and not even offering him an EPS (same as the Rebels), when we have next to no depth in the backrow outside of our full-time contracts.

No slight on the Rebels, but you'd think a Brisbane boy would take the Reds offer if it was the same (EPS).

Space to offer someone a contract doesn't necessarily equate to being able to have that player though.

Maybe McMahon thought he was a far better chance of getting to actually play a decent amount of Super Rugby at the Rebels (which has come to fruition).

If he thought he'd be behind Quirk and Browning for the 6 jersey and Gill and Robinson for the 7 jersey, it might have put him off the idea of taking an EPS contract with the Reds.

If he really wanted to move back to Brisbane and play for the Reds, his 2014 season so far in Super Rugby certainly makes that easier. Based on 2014 you could see him potentially leapfrogging both Quirk and Browning.

T

Train Without a Station

Tigerland, as mentioned, including McDuling, we have 6 back rowers contracted. In addition Horwill has played 6 and Simmons has played there at International level. That's really 33% cover beyond the match day squad of 6,7, 8 and 20 and then another 2 players who could cover 6 if necessary.

If Sean was a potential senior 8 I would agree because we really have Shatz, and then Browning as an up and comer as the only real options there.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Gill, Gunn and Browning were seen as having more potential than McMahon. That's really all there is to it.

T

Train Without a Station

At this stage perhaps McMahon is better than Gunn. Is that the accepted view? I think we all agree that could change in a few years too.

Status
Not open for further replies.