• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Gilly's just looked off this season, hopefully it's just the impact of injury and it will sort itself out when he's healthy again.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
IMO
1. One provence players are probably a thing of ther past. James Horwill's form has been better lately but overall (last 2 years)has been sub-standard for him. It may be a move to another franchise will reinvigorate his career. exactly what happened to Higgers.

2. The "culture" seems to have waned.

3. The Reds need a new captain - choices are very limited and Genia or Quade shouldn't be considered.

4. It may be that RG's position is tenuous. The Admibnstators total unequivacle support smacks of policiics.

" The Prime Minister has my total support and will lead the party to a win at the next election"

Yeah right - recall Bob Hawke, John Howard, Andreww Peacock, Kevin Rudd, Julia Whatever, Paul "The Pigfarmer" Keating alls saying similar statements.

We need 2 to 4 signings - a mongrel mosterous, agressive lock and 8 and a coulple of big bangers in the centres

T

Train Without a Station

With the McMahon thing as well, you've got to consider these decisions are not made in a vacuum. They're made in a context of 30, or 35 places. We have 5 full time back rowers, a 6/lock and 2 locks who have played 6. Then you've got to consider when these players are contracted to.

McMahon may be better than Beau Robinson now, but if you signed Beau to the end of 2015 or more at the start of 2013, that's fuck all good to you isn't it? All the Reds backrowers are signed to the end of next year I believe. Now the question becomes, which other position are you going to compromise in depth to sign superfluous back row depth.

To sit back and critique the decision now, when at the time of signing every option bar, Browning who is developing, was still looking for good for the team now, is lazy and pays no real consideration of the actual factors in play.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
TWAS
the only " considerations of the actual factors in play" is whatever it takes to win. If we have to put a contracted player on the shelf AND we can afford to do so then so be it

T

Train Without a Station

I don't understand the ARU salary cap, but once a player is signed, they are counted to the cap. You cannot pay them out and exclude that money in the cap.

So once again, the question becomes, we other position due you leave yourself short on depth, in order to have superfluous depth in another. Keeping in mind at the time of this decision for example both McMahon and Browning would have been development players and you still have Gunn in the WTS.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
McMahon is a different played to Gill and Gunn, though. They are opensides, McMahon is not really, perhaps Lee's "notter" describes him best with regards to playing 6, 7 and 8.

I think that McMahon has more been seen as a 6/8 who can play 7. His appearances for the Rebels would seem to indicate that this is the case, probably rightly so.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
McMahon is a different played to Gill and Gunn, though. They are opensides, McMahon is not really, perhaps Lee's "notter" describes him best with regards to playing 6, 7 and 8.

I think that McMahon has more been seen as a 6/8 who can play 7. His appearances for the Rebels would seem to indicate that this is the case, probably rightly so.

I'm not so sure that Hooper is an "opensider" either but he will be the seven we choose for the winter tests. The role of 7 as a pure pilferer seems to be changing as more players take on the role. In past years you would say that Bismark was the Sharks best open side flanker (pilferer), but he played as a hooker.

In the blog this morning Jamie Miller was suggesting McMahon should be the Wallaby back-up to Hooper because he plays a similar game. While I'm not sure I agree with this, it certainly provoked serious thought on my part. What style of game will the Wallabies play and who best suits the open side role in that system?

This is the Reds 2015 thread, so maybe the question should be "What game style do the Reds want to play and who are the best back rowers to suit that game plan?" As a commentator with no vested interest I would suggest that Gill, Robinson, Schatz, Browning and Quirk are all remarkably similar in playing style. That the differences are minor is shown by the fact that Robinson often plays six, Browning plays six or eight, and changing any one of these doesn't seem to change the style noticeably.

Compare this with the Waratahs: Dennis, Palu and Hooper are all quite different to each other in skillsets. The Brumbies had Pocock, Mowen and Fardy with Auelua to back up until injury intervened. They are more different than similar. Do the Reds just need more variety in style/skillsets?

If we could just get a handle on what game plan the Reds want to adopt it would all become much clearer. But those waters are still very muddy.

T

tranquility

McMahon is a large body backrower (6,8) who can play 7. Gunn is a 7 who can play 6. Gill is a 7.

On current form McMahon is arguably better than Gill.

Sean is a good prospect, but is not a patch on Gill currently.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Huzzah!

Cottrell devoted to Force

Flanker Angus Cottrell wants to continue his burgeoning Super Rugby career with Western Force.
Speculation has been rife the Reds are trying to lure him back to Queensland but Cottrell, whose form has made him a bolter for the Wallabies, said Perth was now home.
"My first preference is to stay here with the Force," he said as he prepared for Saturday night's clash with the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein.
"I've been here three years. It is my home. I enjoy living here, I love playing rugby here."
Ironically, Cottrell was signed by former Force coach Richard Graham, who defected to the now- struggling Reds.
Read More:https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/rugby-union/a/23321732/cottrel-devoted-to-force/

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would argue that Browning is a bit more of a bruiser than Quirk or Schatz. Wouldn't put him in the same group as them right now, but I agree Schatz and Quirk are pretty similar styles of player. Guess we will get to see if that is right this weekend, though.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
You would think that the Reds have very obviously got some key deficient areas that should be patched up with new signings or promotion of players from EPS

1. A proper, out and out 15. A safe but slick character who is fast, kicks a mile and can finish and catch a high ball. This person must not be a centre, winger or utility with some of these skills. A genuine 15 or a player capable of becoming one quickly.
Options (in order of my preference)
- Chase Jesse Mogg
- Try to bring home Morahan or have a look at Woodward.
- Give Toua another go
- Lob JOC (James O'Connor) a low money contract and see how bad he wants it.
2. Reliable wing depth and some power in the outside channels.
Options (purely speculative)
- Bring home Digby on the caveat his knees aren't completely shot to complement the existing crop.
- Rehab the boys that we have on the injured list and let them continue.
- Upgrade Kerevi or show him some more game time.
- Sign Rob Horne
- Sign Nemani Nadolo :confused:
3. A menacing, big back rower who can bend the line on the carry and murder people in defence.
- ... I don't know where we might find one. Can we go shopping in SA or Argentina?

Troy

Jim Clark (26)

- . I don't know where we might find one. Can we go shopping in SA or Argentina?

?

I've always thought JOC (James O'Connor) would be a good get. On the field he's a machine, question is what position we want him in vs what position he sees himself playing!

On the second point, I was watching the Lions v Chiefs on the weekend, thought Warren Whitley was going well. He's their captain but thought he could be the Reds JacPot?

T

Train Without a Station

Who's available with Perpignan being relegated? Could be an opportunity to pick up a player who wouldn't otherwise have been available.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I've always thought JOC (James O'Connor) would be a good get. On the field he's a machine, question is what position we want him in vs what position he sees himself playing!

I just...bloody hell I just want JOC (James O'Connor)'s playing ability in the reds no. 15 jersey but not the man himself. Is that too much to ask?

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
wasn't someone talking about Georgian prop Giorgi Jgenti yesterday? He plays for them.

As does former Red Dan Leo.

Dan Leo Signed a contract with the Not-nots I believe.

The other prop from Perpignan is Tongan and former cheifs loosehead, Sona Taumalolo, who has also been mentioned. A third option would Scotland and Worcester Tighthead Euan Murray.

In terms of backrowers the only standout is Big Al Strokosch. He's not raw power like Jacques Potgieter, more like a short Fardy in his attack with and at the ball. Still, he'd be far superior to Schatz or Quirk on that Blindside.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
You would think that the Reds have very obviously got some key deficient areas that should be patched up with new signings or promotion of players from EPS

1. A proper, out and out 15. A safe but slick character who is fast, kicks a mile and can finish and catch a high ball. This person must not be a centre, winger or utility with some of these skills. A genuine 15 or a player capable of becoming one quickly.
Options (in order of my preference)
- Chase Jesse Mogg
- Try to bring home Morahan or have a look at Woodward.
- Give Toua another go

How about giving Placid some more game time? He was a standout in the Aussie Schoolboys in 2012, had a shocker of a debut this year for the Reds, but I still think he has the goods.

Edit to say the shocker including the injury, not that he played shockingly bad..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1. A proper, out and out 15. - Jesse Mogg would be great, but I don't think he'd leave the Brumbies in their current state (and ours). I'd like to back Placid and Toua to develop into the role. I think JJ Tualagi is still an option worth persevering with too.
2. Reliable wing depth and some power in the outside channels. - Chris Kurindrani is a big chance here. Would like to know what Shipperley's story is and whether we can get him back to where he was a couple of years ago. We have Turner for another year right? And Rocket. Can't rely on them too much, so need the two first options to be performing.
3. A menacing, big back rower who can bend the line on the carry and murder people in defence. - this is our highest priority. Might be one where we have to recruit a marquee player in the Jac Pot style.

Wouldn't mind an THP with a bit of experience, even PAO from the Rebels to tie us over whilst the young guys develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.