• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

This is something that probably applies to the backs also though.

I agree with your point and consider that Stiles has done about 65% of his job well when you consider our line out and scrum are in the top 5. We have had a strong line out recently (though I do remember in 2010 it falling apart against the Brumbies when we had to play Ezra Taylor at lock due to injuries I think) so perhaps he has merely maintained that (more than Graham can say about his responsibilities though) but our scrum has significantly improved under Stiles.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Don't most international setups (or at least some - I can't be totally hallucinating on this) have a 'collision' coach of sorts?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
This hasn't really seemed to have stopped us from doing it with almost all our outside backs though. :p

I think Quirk has been really good for Queensland and is still needed. He is precisely the sort of player that is valuable because he delivers a quality of performance that he provides injury or form cover for that position.

It is imperative to have guys just like him in the squad because they inevitably end up playing a massive number of minutes throughout a season covering for injury, 60min replacement, form slump, rest. They are just as important as your star performers because whilst they may not single handedly win you games, they won;t single handedly lose you the game by stinking up the joint or being a complete turnstile.

What worries me is that when a player goes down with a torn ACL injury, is that they seem to take an eternity to fully recover. There are countless examples, particularly James Horwell, and david Pocock.
Are they ever the players they were?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
One of the main problems is created by players themselves.

They perform at the highest level at some point and then THEY are expected to perform like that always or nearly always. The real real champions do that - consistency is the key

You have been bashing Horwill all year. Isn't it getting a bit old?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Isn't Quirk just in second season syndrome?

I don't think he will be ever test standard (he seems to be a good grafter), but on last years form, he is a solid S15 unit

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
What worries me is that when a player goes down with a torn ACL injury, is that they seem to take an eternity to fully recover. There are countless examples, particularly James Horwell, and david Pocock.
Are they ever the players they were?

Horwill has had some injuries but has he actually had a knee recon from a torn ACL injury? I didn't think he had done so since 2011.

T

Train Without a Station

ACL in 2010. Tore the hamstring from the bone in 2012. Had hamstring issues last year also I believe.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
You have been bashing Horwill all year. Isn't it getting a bit old?

Its an objective opinion. Its not about Horwill. I said that 2 weeks ago the bloke played his best game for 2 years.

My comment is irrefutable, at least when looked at objectively - obviously you are unable to do that.

PS - you are so sentitive about James. He can be put under scrutiny like all players or is he "untouchable". All I have said is that I want the bloke playing to the level (he set for himself) consistently. I bet he also shares that view.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
He kind of is a little bit untouchable. At least in my entirely subjective view. A lot of the things Kev brings to the table aren't quantifiable and as a result it's hard to allow for them in an entirely objective assessment of him. But yeah, no doubt the guy would be wanting to improve. Even at the top of his game he would've wanted that.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
A completely objectively subjective view of your subjectively objective one? That's pretty much what I was going for. :eek: Haha!

Oh. I have a headache now.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I made no comment for or against him. Stop assuming because i am sick of you constant bleating (yes, some valid) and the equally valid retorts that i feel one way or the other. It seems that you are confusing subjective and objective on the matter. Your OPINION is subjective.

Not sure you are correct in saying that you have only said you want him playing at a higher level. Seem to recall many posts calling for him to be let go. Perhaps that was someone else, if so, you have my apologies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I made no comment for or against him. Stop assuming because i am sick of you constant bleating (yes, some valid) and the equally valid retorts that i feel one way or the other. It seems that you are confusing subjective and objective on the matter. Your OPINION is subjective.

Not sure you are correct in saying that you have only said you want him playing at a higher level. Seem to recall many posts calling for him to be let go. Perhaps that was someone else, if so, you have my apologies.

ALL players, including genia, Horwill, QC (Quade Cooper), Slipper, Simmons etc etc etc HAVE to be responsible for their own performances. If performances continue to be poor, for whatever reason (age, injury, lack of motivation etc etc) then the player, whoever that would be, is not doing the Franchise service and must get the tap. OR do you say we keep under-performers forever irrespective of those things already mentioned.

Shit, we would have a team all 50 years of age.

Don't wannna get into a shitfight but surely you must agree that performance (on and off the field) is the ultimate criteria for a player being in a team, any team.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't think Strength and Conditioning is the issue with the Reds.

Ollie Richardson is the head S&C coach. And he had a similar position with Leicester Tigers and they won several titles when he was there, so he obviously knows what he is doing.

If you watched the Rebels game like I did, the Reds were hands down the fittest team.

You can all shout me down, but I reckon the biggest issue is confidence. The Tahs are experiencing the exact same high the Reds did in 2011; when things (luck and what not) just go your way. Balls are caught and tries are scored. When things don't go your way, balls are dropped and tries are bombed and then you abuse Steve Walsh.

Obviously the major confidence blow is McKenzie leaving, a lot of the players were close to him, he has a very good record. Then comes in a bloke with not so great a record, a likable bloke nonetheless, but possesses a plan - counterintuitive to the Reds 'running rugby arrangement'.

Now, it shits me when Kev Horwill is brought down. In my opinion he has been the best forward by far. If he had fourteen fellow players with similar belief, passion and hatred, the Reds would have won more games. Even though he is not a John Eales, Nobody is :p, he still sends a rocket up any player who is being lazy or does a stupid quick tap.

Now onto Eddie Jones, I am still the only bloke in Australia who actually rates him as a coach, but I get a bit disappointed when he keeps adding in his two-cents worth. Because as I recall, 2007 wasn't a great year. I had season tickets in 2007 and that was the fucking worst era in Queensland Rugby. Not totally Jones' fault, but still.

Finally (if you're all still awake) Mike Harris is the biggest loss by a mile. Placid is a freak, but I would rather have Placid play against Brothers (Queensland Premier Rugby) than Harris. The amount of games I've seen Harris (unfortunately) win for the dreaded University Rugby Club is high. If Harris didn't play last year, I reckon Brothers would have beaten University in the Minor-Semi Final. He kicked remarkably well and just slowed the game down to his own calm pace. You could tell he was a representative player more than anyone else on the pitch.

Finally, lets thrash those bloody Tahs. 100+ years of pure rivalry. Many are predicting a cricket score against those in crimson, but I can't see that happening. FIRE UP REDS!!!!

T

Train Without a Station

Filth, I think in the forwards the only players who can say they had a good crack all year have been Slipper, Simmons, Horwill and Robinson/Gill (Depending on who was on the park - both have been good in their own right).

Add to it that up until recently Harris was our only back with any impact and it makes it hard for the guys actually performing to really have any impact. They can be easily marked and the opposition only needs to worry about targeting them to nullify us as a team.

I also thought Quade other than about 5 individual errors across the course of the season was fine, as most of his stupid plays were made chasing games when he needed to take risks.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Filth the luck and whatnot that you talk about are the little things that coaches enforce in the training field so the players can do it in the game. The standards have dropped at Ballymore this year and they need to be raised again. Cheika has gone into the Tah's and raised the bar on what he expects from the players. The results are there for everyone to see.

I have no doubt that OR can improve the S&C program if given the planning time. It's just that it has been an issue this year. Also the number of injuries is a concern and it's normally linked to the S&C program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.