• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
probably not worth the angst it will give you.

something about frypans and fire i believe

I don't mind a loosing team. I just want one that has some plan on getting better. The Rebels have gone looking for talent and picked up some guys who will make a positive difference to the team. Placid will be great in a few years, but the Reds didn't see him in their future.

Surely the QRU should be listening to their customers and seeing they don't want this crap for another year. If Graham delivers the same rubbish next year the game will be worse in QLD than it was when Jones was in charge.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Actually, I see the Reds and Rebels in the same boat. Really questionable head coaches with poor game plans that are not only too conservative, but they don't fit their roster. I think the Rebels were a little better coached this year than the Reds, but their roster was less rounded and was worse than the Reds at implementing the insanity of what TT wanted.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ash
There has been an uncanny parallel this year between the two teams, especially in the relationship the fans have had with the respective coaches. In agree that TT hasn't got the best out of the Rebels available talent and the playing style seems to have had a negative effect on several players form. The G&G faithful have him on a very short leash for 2015

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
TT seems to have recruited much better than RG though. I guess that may change in the next couple of weeks.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
What to do about the Reds? Should be the subject of a book

My big bug bear today is the Coaching
Head coach and defence - RG has not endeared himself to us by overseeing the thorough dismantling of what Link, McCall and Carmichael built together from late 2009-13. Clearly however, the bloke loves Queensland, loves the Reds and for some reason unknown to the supporter base, people like Carmichael, Link and others rated him enough to bring him into the fold and give him the responsibility that he has so far not carried well. Personally, when I evaluate who handled what area in 2014, all of the pies that RG had a finger in (Overall game plan and shape, defence, selection, culture) have gone to shit (In my opinion, Matt Taylor could do all of those things better).
Forwards/set piece - Stiles has clearly done well in improving the technical aspects of the forwards set piece and tight play, good job.
Attack - Meehan, not sure, on one hand there was the absolute lack of basic passing skills on display vs Tahs but there have been some stretches where the Reds have looked ok and they scored a few tries this year that have been of class. Steve has a proven record of success in the UK and was renowned for having his Bath teams play a very attractive brand of high speed, offload heavy football. I think he's worth persisting with.
S & C - Ollie Richardson is well qualified and experienced, but the dual senior coach model where one is the main facilitator of physical performance for the squad and the other basically handles the day to day work of the players outside the 23 and rehab of the injured crew seemed to work very very well and I think we should return to it. There are a number of guys who I think would do a good job working with Richardson (Ashley Jones, Dean Benton, James Smith and Keir Wenham-Flatt just off the top of my head).

In my opinion this is where the Reds should be investing most of their money and time in the search for improvement. We have previously had the best rugby program for players in Australia (a mantle the Brumbies assumed and we need to get back, it would make recruitment and retention easier as well.)

R

Redsfan

It'll be interesting to see if the criticism of Graham is neutered by good signings.

I find it very difficult to imagine that any promising player would want to sign with the Reds, for their merits as a stand-alone rugby organisation. The signing of JOC (James O'Connor) (who is only going to the Reds to make the RWC,) and Khunt (who will only sign with them because he wants to stay in SEQ) will only paper over the cracks.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't think signing promising players will be an issue. They will go where they think they will get game time and a team down the bottom of the table will provide that opportunity. The issue may be signing someone with some experience that doesn't have another agenda.

T

Train Without a Station

Good thing signing experienced players who have gone to their destination over other offers hasn't really been the catalyst for the improvement of the Reds previously, the Brumbies or the Waratahs.

In each of the cases, the team has astutely recruited players discarded or unwanted by other teams to play key roles:

Samo & Robinson - unwanted by all other teams (Reds)
Mowen - let go by the Waratahs (Brumbies)
Beale - let go by the Rebels allegedly. Choice was made on location not the success of the Waratahs anyway. (Waratahs)

Most importantly, 95% of promising players come out of QLD and NSW. We have not needed to sign promising NSW players in the past, so the majority of promising players we want will be from QLD and reluctant to leave for any reason other than opportunity.

Let's not paint the sky as falling when it is not.

T

Train Without a Station

Just on this matter, what did our previous demise cost us? Berrick Barnes. If anybody can name another promising player we wanted to keep and left for a reason beyond money or opportunity please let me know. Perhaps Drew Mitchell, but I am uncertain on the financial aspects of his departure and whether more money was offered.

R

Redsfan

Just on this matter, what did our previous demise cost us? Berrick Barnes. If anybody can name another promising player we wanted to keep and left for a reason beyond money or opportunity please let me know. Perhaps Drew Mitchell, but I am uncertain on the financial aspects of his departure and whether more money was offered.

Squeaky Moore :)

T

Train Without a Station

Was that not for opportunity though, as he was consistently played behind Hardman?

T

Train Without a Station

Scrubber, Barnes from what I recall was unhappy with the lack of stability in the Reds system and felt it was best for his career to move to the Waratahs. He may have got more money but I don't believe it was financially motivated.

T

Train Without a Station

So let's say we lost Stephen Moore at the end of 2005 and Berrick Barnes at the end of 2009 due to the state of the Reds. Keep in mind the Reds were in worse state off the field than they were on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.