• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
A top flight coach is one that has had the top gig running a province, big Euro club or even international team.

Reds of 2010 get a top flight coach and win the comp in 2011

Brumbies get a top flight coach and get to the final in 2013

Tahs get a top flight coach and finish top of the log in 2014

What on earth made the Reds management of 2012 think they could bring in a non top flight coach, whose last gig was not going well, and possibly emulate the achievements above?

Even worse, they brought him in as understudy to the Link, making it very clear that he wasn't a top flight coach (could you ever imagine a Jake or Cheik accepting that role?)

The only way this could possibly have worked was if Graham had been instrumental as an assistant coach to what had happened in 2011, as Laurie Fisher and Larkham were for the Brumbies. But he wasn't.

Plenty have pointed out the shortcomings in the coaching above, but the top management has to take an at least equal dose of blame.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Performance is the key to a consistent, successful Franchise. There are several major partners required to achieve same.
Administration Staff
Coaching Staff
Off field staff - medicos, strappers etc
Players - plus captaincy group
Sponsers
Supporters

Off Field Staff, Sponsers and Supporters have all done their jobs, and done it well.

The Administration side of things is unknown to the most of us so it is hard to be critical at this stage although the Admin selects the Coaches - which raises its own question.

Players and Coaches as do all groups above want to win win and win. There is no doubt that when the boys play, they play to win and any critics in that regards are just fuckwits. Our boys have plenty of talent but putting it all together is in the Coaching arena.

There have been some real player underachievers this year. That also is, I would think, a reasonable statement. Who ? Everybody knows or should know.

A few blokes have continued with stand-out consistent good form.
Simmons (front runner for Pilecki award)
Slipper
Holmes

Followed by;
Chibba
Shatz
Beau
Browning
Gilly (not much gametime overall)
Horwill
Lucas
Taps
Rocket (spasmodic)

A couple of the new blokes were just up to Super 15 standard and should be flicked back to Premier Grade

However, if the Adiministration think that by signing JOC (James O'Connor) and/or K. Hunt will magically turn around our fortunes then I reckon they are wrong. To me, it comes down squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff, to increase skill levels, stength, culture, accountability, fitness, mind-set and confidence.

No Wil Ginea, no Quade Cooper - there, I've said it.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
On the subject of coaches. Graham and Meehan suck. One that shouldn't be included with these two is Nick Styles. I don't know if he deals with general forward play or just the set piece and re-starts but our set piece is one of the few positives this season (especially our scrum) so credit to Nick Styles for that.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone know of a previous relationship between Cheika and McDuling? I only because they were having a big old chat post game on the field.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Anyone know of a previous relationship between Cheika and McDuling? I only because they were having a big old chat post game on the field.
Pretty sure he played at Sydney Uni for a bit a few years back, so maybe through the Shute Shield when Cheika was coaching Randwick?

That's my guess

T

TOCC

While Graham could not reveal when announcements would be made, Carmichael confirmed it would be "in the next couple of weeks".

"We've pretty well got where we want to be," he said. "There's just a couple of pieces to tidy up."
Asked whether the Reds had filled the big hole left for a tackle-busting back-rower, Carmichael cryptically said "we have and we are".

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/leaky-reds-rue-poor-defence-20140713-3buyj.html

Retention/recruitment expected to be released in coming weeks.

T

TOCC

The lack of details on retention and recruitment is baffling, Is it possible the QRU are saving the release of the playing squad to coincide with the launch of the NRC to boost publicity for the locally based teams?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The lack of details on retention and recruitment is baffling, Is it possible the QRU are saving the release of the playing squad to coincide with the launch of the NRC to boost publicity for the locally based teams?

Baffling is apt way to describe it. I speak from my Rebel supporter experience that I've been kept well in the loop with player movements (in and out), which usually coincide with the sample information finding its way on to SM forums. I'm of a similar school where I don't sit information; I'd rather get it out there and clear up and confusion.

Guess we can only speculate on who these signings will be. JOC (James O'Connor) and K-Hunt are the two popular names, but think the back rower in question is harder to pick than a broken nose.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't know why the Reds faithful are getting so riled up by Big Jim's announcement.

To me it seems as if RG has the full support of the Board.

We all know what that means. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.