• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby Sands

On the eve of the Super Season I feel more buoyed by the squad we have put together than in any other season that I can remember. This is a credit to both RG & Sam Cordingley who has done a very thorough job of evaluating and resupplying our list.

RG was derided for letting players such as Anae, Rocket, Lucas, Jonah, & Mike go but 12 months on and we look so much more capable / threatening.

The emergence of players such as Kerevi and Kurindrani is nothing short of astounding. That both of them will be starts come round 1, when neither could get a look in last year pre-season is rapid development to say the least.

Hardened professionals such Thompson, Hunt and JOC (James O'Connor) bring so much experience to the group, and have excelled in all competitions across the world it is beyond my comprehension how we got all three in a single off-season.

But it is the Kotze's, Talakai's, Tui's, Faagese's, JJ Taulagi's that I want to crow about.

These were players barely on anyone's radar, and we took the punt on them and I feel confident in the ability of all of them.

Then we back the best of our youth in Lolo, Magnay, Ready, Korcyk, Paraka, Gunn, Duncan.

We have never had such depth, and I am going to back RG to the hilt. He has his squad now. He has his coaching staff.

Let's see what he can do with them. I for one, feel that this season has infinite potential and we shouldn't be intimidated by anyone.

On a side note who is Peter Wilkins? He appears to have taken control of defense and it is looking much better already.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On a side note who is Peter Wilkins? He appears to have taken control of defense and it is looking much better already.
He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Came through the QRU coaching system. Was a regional Development Officer. Moved into state education program (coach accreditation etc). Did a bit of video analysis for the Reds in 2011. Then did it full time in 2012. I think he did it a bit more in 13 as well as being a bit more hands on (assistant coach Easts prem colts). Last year he coached the Reds A program (and GPS premier grade although i might have those club years wrong).

This year he's even more hands on with the Reds program. Great to see.

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Came through the QRU coaching system. Was a regional Development Officer. Moved into state education program (coach accreditation etc). Did a bit of video analysis for the Reds in 2011. Then did it full time in 2012. I think he did it a bit more in 13 as well as being a bit more hands on (assistant coach Easts prem colts). Last year he coached the Reds A program (and GPS premier grade although i might have those club years wrong).

This year he's even more hands on with the Reds program. Great to see.

May I add Reg that he did a lot of breakdown coaching for the Reds last year (in addition to his Reds A commitments) and continued that in the NRC. He was definitely involved with QLD Country but - and I may well be wrong - I suspect he took on that advisor role with both Ballymore NRC teams.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Good question swingpass. First reaction was top two in Aus and making the playoffs.
On reflection though the criteria are probably too fluid to lock in an answer now as losing one or two more key players for any length of time would change things considerably.
At the very least though, injuries etc aside, what a lot of fans will be looking for is some basic structure and cohesiveness. Some semblance of a game plan or two, innovation and execution on attack and effective defence.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
From a back office stand point I think it'll be finals or bust, and we'll have to be on track at the half way mark or they may start the change over.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good question swingpass. First reaction was top two in Aus and making the playoffs.
On reflection though the criteria are probably too fluid to lock in an answer now as losing one or two more key players for any length of time would change things considerably.
At the very least though, injuries etc aside, what a lot of fans will be looking for is some basic structure and cohesiveness. Some semblance of a game plan or two, innovation and execution on attack and effective defence.

very much like the rebels i think. not that i am equating the two teams, just the sentiment that there needs to be some obvious improvement in the above highlighted parameters. personally i now have no expectation of the rebels, just content to go and watch and barrack for a local rugby team, be excited when we play well or win and hopefully be less frustrated with the errors, style and performance.
the force and foley, will under much more pressure because of their 2014 season; the brumbies will be better than last year, and the tahs will have to overcome the premiership hangover. think the aussie conference will be quite close. of course much depends upon the injury gods.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
To me a pass mark us making the finals.
A Credit would be beating the Tahs
A Distinction would be winning the Australian Conference
A High Distinction is winning the Super 15 title

To me a pass mark is winning the Super 15 title
A Credit would be putting the Force back in their place (twice)
A Distinction would be walloping the Tahs by > 50
A High Distinction is winning the Super 15 title, undefeated throughout the season.

My wishes might be a little high here :)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
RG has the team, he has put his stamp on the recruitment of some top players, has existing top players and some of the newer guys should have a breakout year.

Injuries always play an integral part of how the team goes but thats why you have a squad.

No excuses are acceptable this year - because we have the cattle.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I love all the positiveness here, really makes me feel good about what the Reds have to offer. I must say though, I hope none of you are teachers, some of the pass marks for this season seem rather high!

I agree along with what Socey said in terms of what I believe would constitute a pass mark for this season. For me, I'd just love to see that RG and his staff are capable of creating a game-plan that gets the best out of the veterans in their last year and uses our new recruits to the best of their ability, specifically give me some hope that once inside an opposition 22, the Reds can actually score points, something which I haven't been confident in for a couple of seasons now. If RG can do this then hopefully the results will show but at very least it gives us as supporters hope that we could win the title with the current squad going forward (minus a few blokes obviously).

If there was an award for best recruitment for 2015 I think the Reds would win it hands down. They have not only recruited three blokes with star potential (Thomson, Hunt, JOC (James O'Connor)) but also used the NRC to great advantage and picked up the cream of what QPR had to offer. Definitely gives me confidence in this team for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.