• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
What happened to James Dalgleish (UQ flyhalf)......this guy must have been rated. Aussie Schoolboy, UQ Prem, QLD u20 & Aus u20 flyhalf?

Mcintyre (21) was Aus u20 2014 Flyhalf, and obviously Greene (21) is doing a good job now, but it's a pretty good young flyhalf (20) to have in your backyard but not be involved.

Is it because the Reds other 'young' flyhalf positions are taken by Mason and Moseley who are still u20 eligible, meaning that they have a team and squad of their own to train with?

So is it a case of " let's not worry about Dalgleish as a 3rd choice FH, (maybe 4th behind Duncan) considering our 4th and 5th youngsters are pretty good anyway and already in the QLD u20 squad?"

T

TOCC

I rate Perese very highly, he mightn't be a big lad but he runs strong, has great balance and good agility. I don't know much about his defence or ability under the high ball, but he has a solid base of natural ability. If it weren't for his injury I think he would have earned a few caps off the bench in 2016.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He impressed me during the NRC. Great runner, goes hard and loves contact whilst not looking for it ala Nick Cummins.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I rate Perese very highly, he mightn't be a big lad but he runs strong, has great balance and good agility. I don't know much about his defence or ability under the high ball, but he has a solid base of natural ability. If it weren't for his injury I think he would have earned a few caps off the bench in 2016.

I loved the look of him and even though I hate to compare to other players I see him of a bit of a Rod Davies.

He has some type of x factor that moves you to the edge of your seat when he is near the ball.

Form what I have seen he would make a decent 15. I think the only spots for smaller guys is now becoming 9 or 15.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I loved the look of him and even though I hate to compare to other players I see him of a bit of a Rod Davies.

He has some type of x factor that moves you to the edge of your seat when he is near the ball.

Form what I have seen he would make a decent 15. I think the only spots for smaller guys is now becoming 9 or 15.

Perese play 13 in year 11 and 12 and moved to the wing first year out. For Aus schoolboys I thought he played wing. He seems good in contact and he's pretty quick however I'm unsure about his game awareness and his kicking ability.

A good winger and possible 13 in years to come, but IMO definitely not a 15.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I liked this little par from this article (http://www.cqnews.com.au/news/junior-steps-giant-strides/2899345/) on Lolo Fakaosilea

"All of his Queensland jerseys except one have been donated to charity.

The one he kept is special and serves as reminder of a game he will never forget, the time he played the legendary Ritchie McCaw.
"I ran on as a replacement for Liam Gill and straight into the scrum and I looked up and saw Ritchie," Fakaosilea said.
"I gave him the smile, almost like a smile when you're checking out a chick or something and he looked at me and said 'you right'.
"But after the game he came up to me and I admitted I was just star struck. He told me he couldn't believe my age and talent. So I just had to keep his jersey."
He is now an old head on young shoulders, and with Jess at his side, the sky is the limit.".

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Don't think Perese is actually a midget, though ... is this him, 2nd from left?

IMG_0913.jpg

So long as the injury doesn't rob speed and mobility he should be fine.

7xFAp1Y.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's not small in general but he'd be a pretty small 13, particularly as a novice Super Rugby player.

I'd say he's not dissimilar in size to Chris F'Sautia. Probably a couple of kgs lighter.

He's definitely a guy who is strong in contact so he plays above his body weight (if he was a cricketer, I'm sure he'd bowl a heavy ball ;)).

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
He's not small in general but he'd be a pretty small 13, particularly as a novice Super Rugby player.

The NRC lists's Perese as 180cms. Compare that to Digby at 179cm or the benchmark Conrad Smith at 186cm's.

I don't think height is too much of a problem when we've played Foley at 10 and Giteau at 12 in the WC. As long as we don't have 7 McKibbin's running around in the back line, having a guy an inch or so around the small for a back is ok.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Reds have also included sports shrink Ross Chapman on the staff list, he is the former Cricket Australia shrink and father of Tahs player Mitch Chapman.

Do you know if the Reds have appointed a Sports Scientist (aka Biochemist), yet? I hear there's a bloke named Steve who is experienced, and available!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Anything to get him out of Victoria and off the news would be nice. Sick of hearing about this 'saga' and how everyone was duped. You make a mistake, you own up, you deal with the consequences.

But I digress. Back to the Reds. My rant is over.

B

Bobby Sands

I'd say he's not dissimilar in size to Chris F'Sautia. Probably a couple of kgs lighter.

He's definitely a guy who is strong in contact so he plays above his body weight (if he was a cricketer, I'm sure he'd bowl a heavy ball ;)).

Hit's the deck/bat hard etc.

I have debated this my mates a bit.

Do you think their is any truth in it? I don't mean to sound too naive, but my cricket romanticism wants to say their is.

B

Bobby Sands

Do you know if the Reds have appointed a Sports Scientist (aka Biochemist), yet? I hear there's a bloke named Steve who is experienced, and available!

How does he make a buck these days, anyone know?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hit's the deck/bat hard etc.

I have debated this my mates a bit.

Do you think their is any truth in it? I don't mean to sound too naive, but my cricket romanticism wants to say their is.
I played against Ryan Harris in early days.. He hit the bat hard.. You'd feel beat up after playing him..bowled everything right but was so heavy

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

B

Bobby Sands

I played against Ryan Harris in early days.. He hit the bat hard.. You'd feel beat up after playing him..bowled everything right but was so heavy

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I heard he was a better batsman in his early days.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I heard he was a better batsman in his early days.

This is not that uncommon, most elite sportsman were better than their peers at every sport and then focused on just one.

Dave Taylor from League was a halfback at school because he had the best hands and pass at his school and this was seen as more important than size.

B

Bobby Sands

This is not that uncommon, most elite sportsman were better than their peers at every sport and then focused on just one.

Dave Taylor from League was a halfback at school because he had the best hands and pass at his school and this was seen as more important than size.

Yeah absolutely. But I think Harris was a middle order batsman till quite late in the piece. Incredible bowler.

Status
Not open for further replies.