• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
he may well have been confusing CEO with Chairman

Marto has no clarity of thought..
He says dumb shit all the time at least when espousing rugby and Australian players.
He hold himself out as an "expert" but in the big scheme played fuckall tests for the Wallabies (9 I think)
Bloke seems to have a good personality - quick witted
My mate just reckons he's dim-witted

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Marto has no clarity of thought..
He says dumb shit all the time at least when espousing rugby and Australian players.
He hold himself out as an "expert" but in the big scheme played fuckall tests for the Wallabies (9 I think)
Bloke seems to have a good personality - quick witted
My mate just reckons he's dim-witted

pretty harsh I reckon. Having a go at someone for "only" playing 9 tests? It was the amateur age and he played a British Lions series (scored 2 tries in 3 tests), and that famous series v the French later that year when Timmy and Jason first played together.

9 is around the same as Illie Tabua, Ross Reynolds and Tony Darcy. All legit Wallabies. Plus it discounts the many Wallaby tours he went on when he did get capped, and his 65 games for the Reds. Writing him off because he played 'fuckall' tests is ignorance to the max. Kafer only played 12. Buddha Handy only played 6. How many did Clarke and Bray play?

As for being saying "dumb shit all the time" I actually think he's doing a pretty darn good job on Rugby 360 or whatever its called.

As for what your "mate" reckons, that has slightly less relevance than how many tests a guy plays as a determinant to being an 'expert'

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
pretty harsh I reckon. Having a go at someone for "only" playing 9 tests? It was the amateur age and he played a British Lions series (scored 2 tries in 3 tests), and that famous series v the French later that year when Timmy and Jason first played together.

9 is around the same as Illie Tabua, Ross Reynolds and Tony Darcy. All legit Wallabies. Plus it discounts the many Wallaby tours he went on when he did get capped, and his 65 games for the Reds. Writing him off because he played 'fuckall' tests is ignorance to the max. Kafer only played 12. Buddha Handy only played 6. How many did Clarke and Bray play?

As for being saying "dumb shit all the time" I actually think he's doing a pretty darn good job on Rugby 360 or whatever its called.

As for what your "mate" reckons, that has slightly less relevance than how many tests a guy plays as a determinant to being an 'expert'

Thanks Reg. This is all the stuff I didn't know I wanted to say in reply to that post. You can say a lot about Marto and most do, but to have a crack for 'only playing 9 tests' is shit.

He played his Tests in '89 and '90 (according to ESPN) and it's worth noting that while on Tour in Italy in '92 he was found to have cancer in his leg and was sent home for immediate surgery. The sort of thing that would've likely impacted on his desire and ability to play amateur Rugby at international level.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Tony D'arcy was regarded as the next big thing in Australian rugby at the time. A very talented front-rower who ended up going to league.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Wow - Marto is Gog-like to a lot of you blokes.

Not to me - one of our poorer commentators and "baggers"

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Wow - Marto is Gog-like to a lot of you blokes.

Not to me - one of our poorer commentators and "baggers"
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457076007.867639.jpg

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Do the ARU and/or QRU media teams provide free to air television news with stories about Rugby? I just watched nine news sport and again saw nothing stories about Rugby League, including a local Intrust Cup story yet nothing about Super Rugby or the upcoming Las Vegas 7s. Every night there are stories about League and only rarely stories about what is arguably a higher level Super Rugby competition. Does Andrew Slack try to push Rugby stories or is it news producers cutting Union out of the news?

T

TOCC

Do the ARU and/or QRU media teams provide free to air television news with stories about Rugby? I just watched nine news sport and again saw nothing stories about Rugby League, including a local Intrust Cup story yet nothing about Super Rugby or the upcoming Las Vegas 7s. Every night there are stories about League and only rarely stories about what is arguably a higher level Super Rugby competition. Does Andrew Slack try to push Rugby stories or is it news producers cutting Union out of the news?

In short... Yes they do, teams have media managers who handle media relations and have direct contact with certain reporters.. Some like Jim Tucker are practically on the Reds payroll and are given inside gossip and exclusives to get more articles done on the team. Teams will release media statements for certain things like player re-signings and team announcements, favoured journalist are provided this before the rest, a more recent tactic is for teams to also release their own articles or videos on their websites which some news agencies will recycle and publish it on their own site.

At the end of the day it's up to the editor as to what actually gets in the paper, and with the NRL about to kick off there is greater demand for mungo articles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thanks for that but I am more interested in vision rather than written media (which is the easy way out for media departments to meet their KPIs). Vision for media (particularly TV) takes far more effort but the rewards in terms of exposure are far greater. League will continue to be popular to the masses if it is the only Rugby they see on TV.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks for that but I am more interested in vision rather than written media (which is the easy way out for media departments to meet their KPIs). Vision for media (particularly TV) takes far more effort but the rewards in terms of exposure are far greater. League will continue to be popular to the masses if it is the only Rugby they see on TV.

I get what you're saying Serge, I too despair at the coverage of rugby on tv news broadcasts -in Qld league just gets huge coverage, it always annoys me how they will cover all the NRL teams regardless of where they are located but only Qld rugby coverage if there is any on tv and print. It would be interesting to speak to someone like Andrew Slack about it to find out what the constraints are.

Status
Not open for further replies.