• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reds seem to be in a downward spiral. Can't win a game, leading to reduced attendance at games, leading to reduced finances to retain/recruit talent to get out of the hole, leading to worse results and so on.

Only way I can see they have a chance of breaking the spiral is to cast RG adrift right now and hope that the replacement or stand in coach can somehow get a few wins on the board so that crowd levels either stabilise or start to recover, and some of the younger, better players will want to stay at the end of the year rather than go looking for greener pastures. And there are many greener fields in Britain, France and Japan as well as here in Aus.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
pretty harsh I reckon. Having a go at someone for "only" playing 9 tests? It was the amateur age and he played a British Lions series (scored 2 tries in 3 tests), and that famous series v the French later that year when Timmy and Jason first played together.

9 is around the same as Illie Tabua, Ross Reynolds and Tony Darcy. All legit Wallabies. Plus it discounts the many Wallaby tours he went on when he did get capped, and his 65 games for the Reds. Writing him off because he played 'fuckall' tests is ignorance to the max. Kafer only played 12. Buddha Handy only played 6. How many did Clarke and Bray play?

As many former test players have demonstrated, a test career does not equate to quality commentary. And I particularly dislike Martin's commentary. But respect where it's due, Martin has played more tests, tour matches and matches for his state than 99.94% of this forum's members.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Only way I can see they have a chance of breaking the spiral is to cast RG adrift right now and hope that the replacement or stand in coach can somehow get a few wins on the board so that crowd levels either stabilise or start to recover,
I actually think they missed their opportunity to get any goodwill back from the public out of his sacking. That opportunity was last year. They've hung onto him for so long that's it gone beyond a mistake to become wilful damage in the eyes of many.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
It's good to see the Reds spent more time on filming content of players for the big screen than they did the search for a coach.

Has this organisation done anything in the last 3 years that suggests they have even the most remote interest in being competitive?

These old time QLD players coaching and sitting on the board seem very content that we are awful. Poor coaching, playing roster several years off being competitive, and seemingly content to get belted by NSW.

I can't fathom how these former players and such don't seem bothered by what they have reduced us to.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
17533 according to the article by the Brisbane Times on the game.

I know the stadium wasn't full staffed, but that would usually result in a loss on game day.

I know they don't give a crap about fans or the teams performance, but a few losing gates might get them to move on RG, give Carmichael only cares about the $$$.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I really took issue with some of Frisby's play tonight. Instead of passing left to right from the base of the ruck at one stage he actually stood up, jogged a few paces while turning his shoulders to turn it into more of a right to left.

I believe this service is one of the reasons our backs are caught out by rush defences so often. Genia was blasted on these forums for doing the same thing a couple of seasons ago before making a marked improvement in time for the RWC. I wonder what sparked that change.

I can't help but think that this, and the fact that his pass is not that direct, is perhaps the biggest issue in the Reds play right now.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
No its not going to take 5 years to repair ffs. Its Queensland. Make the right board decissions, get the right coaching team. There is nothing wrong with the available talent in Brisbane.

No there isn't. So why are we left with swill like McIntyre?

T

TOCC

Sure, blame the Reds woes on the 21yr old 5/8 who is only starting his second super rugby match... Reds were shit last year and they are worst this year, they are regressing in skills and structure, yeah players are playing poorly but its ridiculous to blame the Reds woes on any one individual player, there is one person responsible and that is RG...

That was one of the worst games of rugby i have seen the Reds play since the 92-3 loss to the Bulls..

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm pretty sure one coaching session could fix some of McIntyre's issues. Simple as "Run straight and lock in the defensive line before you pass the ball". One board meeting could go a long way to fixing the Reds issues too.

I'd be happy with O'Connor as head coach for the rest of the season and to actually search for a proper coach outside of Ballymore.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
None of what is happening this year is a surprise. This is what comes from papering over large cracks with positive assessments of clear failings and talking (and writing) in endless, meaningless words designed to deflect criticism.

The team has been set up to fail through mis-management and a lack of integrity. A 'world wide search for a coach', what an utter shambles. Supporters and players were treated like mugs and this has destroyed whatever goodwill exisited.

The players out there last night tried their very, very best, but, in all but a few cases, are simply not up to Super Rugby standard. That's not to say they mightn't be in the future, but they aren't now.

The fact they are out there is a failure at all levels of the orgainisation, but mostly the coach.

The Reds needed a 10 desperately this year and instead signed an average quality (despite the hype in this forum about his abilities) 15.

Why was this? To sell memberships and jerseys to Japanese rugby fans - what a giggle. It's like a political party signing up a 'celebrity candidate'.

In nearly all cases over the last few years the Reds have replaced departing seasoned professionals with hopeful club players (most of them inexperienced) and these are the results.

Richard Graham's sacking is now guaranteed but the turnaround of this ship will take time.

If there can be a some moments of clarity and 'whole sight' in the next few weeks at Clyde Road, it'll at least signal that mistakes have been acknowledged, real responsibility has been taken, and that these mistakes will not be repeated.

We all wait like expectant fathers': it won't be long now.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I suspect that we will find that the hunt for an international 10 was real but hampered by the number of available 10s willing to drink the poison chalice. Wonder if they spoke to Lance and that Lion from a couple of seasons back. Boschoff.

In the mean time Frisbey contributes to McIntyres slow ball, but both have talent being squashed by the current coaching setup trying to be safe with novice hands. Its an understandable approach implemented very poorly.

I'm no longer a supporter of MOC taking over. The body language in the box was dreadful. Stiles as caretaker, remove both RG and MOC. It is not time for half measures. Then drag through a couple of locals to fill the coaching team. Must be agreed with or chosen by Stiles, not Herbert. Could include Thorn.

Going forward possibly look for a HC who was directed to develop Stiles as succession planning.

Suspect similar is needed at the exec. Then take this season as a true build. I'd accept a shocking win/loss if it was within a positive context.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
You don't blame the 10 for the loss,you blame the coach for him being the best option at 10.
Name one franchise that's first 2 options at 10 are totally untested at this level.
Ever!

Is it unaminous that JM is the best option? The last 2 weeks he hasn't even done the basics right... alot of handling errors, poor kicking. Last night he played alot flatter and more direct which was a marked improvement but still doesnt show any signs of creating space for anyone. Given both options are young and inexperienced, I'd like to see Greene start with Gale at 9 to see what he can offer. Gale's service when he came on last night was better I thought.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
The QRU are doing serious damage. It's going to take 5+ years to repair this. Graham needs to be fired tonight, and the entire board need to crawl out on their knees begging for forgiveness.

Graham looked done in the presser. Looked out of words and resigned to whatever comes next. Unfortunately I think that will be hidings by the Rebs and the Blues before the misery ends.

Woopsie

Peter Burge (5)
Since 2011....

• The average amount of games that Reds have won per season has dropped by 60%
  • The points scored per game on average by the Reds has dropped by 70%
  • The points allowed per game on average by the Reds has increased by 100%
  • Average home crowd attendance has dropped by 50%
If the Reds were a publicly listed company....

1. shareholders would be up in arms
  2. management would have been replaced
  3. media attention would have intensified
  4. share price would be plummeting
  5. competitors would be taking market share
But, alas the Reds are not, so we simply see the following...

1. stakeholders up in arms
  2. media attention is intensifying
  3. revenue dropping
  4. League AFL and Soccer continue to grow grassroots participation
"Houston, we have a problem"

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Is it unaminous that JM is the best option? The last 2 weeks he hasn't even done the basics right. alot of handling errors, poor kicking. Last night he played alot flatter and more direct which was a marked improvement but still doesnt show any signs of creating space for anyone. Given both options are young and inexperienced, I'd like to see Greene start with Gale at 9 to see what he can offer. Gale's service when he came on last night was better I thought.
No it's not unanimous,I for one don't think JM is up to it atm.

But it's pretty unaminous that the 10 jumper is a poison chalice atm.

RG is a slow learner.
Last year his backup to QC (Quade Cooper) was a 20 yo who hadn't played the code since he left school.
When that blew up in his face,he didn't think throwing kids in,under prepared was the issue, just that this kid let him down.
And people are surprised that it's all turned to poo.

Frontfive

Frank Row (1)
Total agreement dru. Graham seems untenable but the shot of the coaching box was telling at last nights game. MOC has a history and reputation of being arrogant and cancerous, was sacked by the Brumbies during the season when Friend got the job after Fisher which he thought should be his and was recently shown the door mid contract by Leinster. All reports suggest the same thing going on at the Reds? Marto also alluded to it in the post match wrap up. Everyone bagging Graham for the Reds impotent attack but its O'Connors role, what did they do all pre season??He also took over the Brumbies attack the year after they won in 04 when they were the best attacking team and they ended up being one of the worst. QRU should put Stiles on as acting HC doing scrum and defence, Thorn straight in for lineout and contact and get an attack coach. Im guessing Stiles could not work with MOC as HC and vice versa so if they are getting the broom out they might as well give it a decent sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.