• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Willing to guarantee Cordingly has whispered into gill/Thomson/Cooper's ears... "I can't officially say Graham is gone, but don't sign any new contracts until we make an announcement." ... "Please"

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I am starting to get the feeling that the players know something about next years coaching setup that we don't. I guess we will have to wait for the results of the extensive review.

Surely Thomson would not stick around to play in the same setup from this year, there are so many other places in the world nicer than Brisbane to play in a losing team and get paid for it.

Let's hope that they know RG is out. But, if so, wtf is the 'independent review that will report by June 30' all about?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
The article said he'd explored a lot of the South east. If he's getting out and about there's not many better places to do it.

I agree that Brissy is a great place but I was thinking the south of France or Italy. Playing in England he'd be able to explore heaps of places all over Europe. If he played in the Midlands in England he could live on Balti's.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Probably easing the sensitive situation where the board have to sack their mate. Out of their hands if it's the finding of an independent review.

As good a theory as any! However TWAS, if true, and the players have been leaked to that RG will go and yet the review's there to do as you say, it's a pretty appalling way to treat RG at a human/employee level. Might be the 1 time in a '000 that I feel sorry for him.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Let's hope that they know RG is out. But, if so, wtf is the 'independent review that will report by June 30' all about?
Probably the other positions as well i.e. attack coaching, defence coaching, backs coaching, S&C..... granted some have been fixed but hopefully they are looking at how the hell the fall from grace was so dramatic so quick and why nothing was done. If done properly I would think the review would be pointing the finger at those it was requested by!! Something you always need stones to do - spray the person paying you fees.

T

Train Without a Station

Might be the 1 time in a '000 that I feel sorry for him.

I feel plenty sorry for Graham. Has been splashed across the public and slated in the Reds social media as some sort of horrible human.

In fact he's not. He's just not a remotely good Super Rugby Head Coach.

I'd be intrigued to know how many people commenting on the Reds social media insulting him as a person and his character are actually any good at their own job.

Reactions: TSR

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I feel plenty sorry for Graham. Has been splashed across the public and slated in the Reds social media as some sort of horrible human.

In fact he's not. He's just not a remotely good Super Rugby Head Coach.

I'd be intrigued to know how many people commenting on the Reds social media insulting him as a person and his character are actually any good at their own job.

Ha! have you met anyone who admits they are bad at their job!!!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Probably the other positions as well i.e. attack coaching, defence coaching, backs coaching, S&C... granted some have been fixed but hopefully they are looking at how the hell the fall from grace was so dramatic so quick and why nothing was done. If done properly I would think the review would be pointing the finger at those it was requested by!! Something you always need stones to do - spray the person paying you fees.

That could be so BB. J Carmichael told the media the review would look at just about everything to do with the Reds future development as a team and to include development pathways into the Reds, etc, etc.

As I have posted already, that's when I recoiled and thought; 'how the hell will they competently cover all that territory on a part-time basis within a 4 week period?'.

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
Did anyone else notice the under the radar departure of Steve Meehan in all of this RG banter? SM will be coaching Toulon in 2016. I often heard that RG never gave him any real pull this year - could be a good move for SM.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The article said he'd explored a lot of the South east. If he's getting out and about there's not many better places to do it.

If you follow him on social media you'll see he gets out quite a bit. He's been given a ute by a sponsor so enjoying the South East.

T

TOCC

That could be so BB. J Carmichael told the media the review would look at just about everything to do with the Reds future development as a team and to include development pathways into the Reds, etc, etc.

As I have posted already, that's when I recoiled and thought; 'how the hell will they competently cover all that territory on a part-time basis within a 4 week period?'.

Come on lads, this is the same discussion you are having in the QLD Coaching Options Thread, try to keep it all in the one place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Apologies - in my defence it started over speculation re players (Thomson) resigning (or re-signing). Had to talk about one when it hinges on the other!!!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Probably easing the sensitive situation where the board have to sack their mate. Out of their hands if it's the finding of an independent review.

almost definitely.

As good a theory as any! However TWAS, if true, and the players have been leaked to that RG will go and yet the review's there to do as you say, it's a pretty appalling way to treat RG at a human/employee level. Might be the 1 time in a '000 that I feel sorry for him.

hard to have it both ways RH. There is no easy way for a coach to get sacked. But its a fact of the job. He's a QLD boy with a QLD family who would loved the fact that he had a chance to come 'home' to his ideal job. They've settled here, with the kids at school, playing jnr rugby, and re-acquainting with old friends. As it stands, it would seem he will not be the HC at the Reds next year. Likely he won't have a job at all. So where does that leave him and his family? Up and relocate again? Japan next? Back to Europe? Or does he do a Link and keep his young family here and move elsewhere himself to follow his passion?

So happy you manage to feel just a smidge of sorrow for Richard, a guy who was always just trying his best in the sport he loved, for the team he played for (and loved).

What a guy.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
hard to have it both ways RH. There is no easy way for a coach to get sacked. But its a fact of the job. He's a QLD boy with a QLD family who would loved the fact that he had a chance to come 'home' to his ideal job. They've settled here, with the kids at school, playing jnr rugby, and re-acquainting with old friends. As it stands, it would seem he will not be the HC at the Reds next year. Likely he won't have a job at all. So where does that leave him and his family? Up and relocate again? Japan next? Back to Europe? Or does he do a Link and keep his young family here and move elsewhere himself to follow his passion?

So happy you manage to feel just a smidge of sorrow for Richard, a guy who was always just trying his best in the sport he loved, for the team he played for (and loved).

What a guy.

Oh, please!

I am 'not having it both ways' and there IS a right way to sack anybody, including a HC.

All the personal facets you note re RG are, like it or not, merely part and parcel of professional life as and when you choose a path of being a professional sports manager or coach.

RG voluntarily took this path to the Reds in 2012, he took the risk to break his coaching contract in Perth (after only days before telling the Force how committed he was to them), he surely knew what pressures and expectations would follow upon taking over from Link. He had the unusual 'learn on the job' luxury of having the Sept 2012-July 2013 period under Link's guidance. He surely would have known that a w-l % over two seasons under 50% would be highly likely to see him sacked at end 2015, if not prior. All known, all predictable, all 'par for the course'. So I can feel no well of great sorrow for his move to Brisbane and such like. These are grown-up risks you take in grown-up ways.

Now to the sacking matter. The only right and decent way to sack someone is as follows:

- as superior(s), act thoughtfully, privately and decisively is assessing the performance of the person at hand;

- as may be appropriate, provide them adequate feedback and counsel as to where they may be under performing and what might be done to make improvements, together with a clear timeframe in which improvements must be made;

- once it's quite clear that the relevant person is not performing and likely cannot, despite all proper feedback, perform as required, then hold a totally confidential process and meeting with them and inform them that their termination is regrettably required in the interest of the greater enterprise and, potentially, the person themselves. Agree privately the most humane and constructive means of announcement and departure.

What is categorically NOT the right way to sack a person - and where my potential sorrow for RG arose - is, as was discussed above, to leak to many other members of the organisation that person X is going to be departing, having not cleanly informed the person beforehand, and THEN hold a 'review process' to 'review Person X's ongoing retention etc' and then at the end of that tell Person X they're definitely sacked.

The above manner of dealing with a dismissal, should it ever exist, is all of: cowardly, duplicitous, dishonest, devious and self-serving as well as simply unethical.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The difference in this case though is that RG wont be sacked, his contract just wont be renewed (hopefully).

The life of a rugby coach is one of many ups and downs. Very few coaches stay in the one place for long periods of time. Coaches like Connelly, Bennett and Sheedy, who all had long stints at clubs are the exception. If your team isn't performing then it's your head on the chopping block.

The Reds made the call to write off this season and as it has progressed there has been no improvement. The ball was in RG's court to change things up and he didn't manage to do that. The QRU brought in Connelly and things have looked better.

The QRU need to deal with the players coming off contract too. They can't just tell them to sit around and see what happens. If they have told these players that RG's contract end soon I don't have an issue with that, it is a fact. If they have said that it won't be renewed so that the players are open minded about staying I also don't have a problem as they have to look after the long term viability of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.