• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Would be an epic signing for the Reds. He will have his own cult following, but unfortunately that is another star Japanese player turning their back on the Sunwolves. Hopefully some of the players who HAD played Super Rugby will play for them, like Inagaki, Horie and Tatekawa, but it seems other names like Tanaka, Tui, Gorumara and probs Mafi are looking at other Super Rugby teams to get their higher level exp in.

What does this mean for Hunt? Last year a Kerevi 12, Hunt 13 combo was pretty effective, but with Kerevi in form @ 13 and Hunt at 15 its interesting. Perhaps Hunt can be the half ball playing/half hitting no. 12 we need, like a To'omua type sorta thing.

9. Frisby 10. Mcintyre/import 12. Hunt 13. Kerevi
11. Sautia 15. Goromaru 14. Nabuli

21. Tuttle 22. DP / Fainga'a 23. Kuridrani

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't see any reason to chase him. Hunt is the man for fullback. They will need back up for him for sure but I wouldn't waste a marquee signing for a backup. I guess JJT is still there, depending on injury.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's difficult to discern the squad structure the reds are aiming for next year.

Ain't it just. If the're looking to O'Conner style forward pod play as the "be all" then maybe a To'omua style 10 might work outside an in-experienced 10. It'll challenge what fans who are left who have been introduced to the exciting play of the Link era.

I think Hunt, as he settles more into the game of rugby, offers more creativity than a To'omua though. But the decision making from in-experienced 10-12 channel doesn't naturally lead to enthusiasm for the season.

I'm hoping there is something in this chase for an international Marquee 10. Otherwise I'd like a second-fly style 12. More Beale like than To'omua. I think Hunt is capable of almost splitting those two styles but would have thought that it is 12 months early.

Reactions: gel

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't see any reason to chase him. Hunt is the man for fullback. They will need back up for him for sure but I wouldn't waste a marquee signing for a backup. I guess JJT is still there, depending on injury.

I think as a Japanese player, he doesnt count as our single foreign marguee player, so that is still available with 1 more signing to come I believe?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Vidot is saying he has a WWE contract but has to complete a short term union stint first.

If it is the Reds he is referring to they should cut him. Waste of time and resources developing a league winger for no long term benefit.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
You scared me there for a second, the ABC is reporting he still has to wait for his Broncos contract to end before going to the WWE. Reds are hopefully safe.

T

TOCC

Oh dear...this is from his Instagram... i hope it isn't true..
WWE Trial finished. And they said.... 'yes'!!they're keen to sign me
3 year deal is what it's looking like, but won't be til a couple years away
but first, finish off my rugby contract (which I can't reveal to you as yet) then am looking to do the switch! Big choices!!

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Oh dear.this is from his Instagram. i hope it isn't true..

It makes no sense that if the WWE were keen to sign this guy they would wait a couple of years...surely if they want him they would sign him to start straight away. It also defies logic that if the Reds have signed him that they would allow him to go off for a WWE trial.

On the Japanese fullback thing - I am keen for Hunt to play 15 as Brisbane City seem to have settled on him in that role and he has done well - let the guy settle in one position and show his capabilities!

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
It makes no sense that if the WWE were keen to sign this guy they would wait a couple of years.surely if they want him they would sign him to start straight away. It also defies logic that if the Reds have signed him that they would allow him to go off for a WWE trial.

On the Japanese fullback thing - I am keen for Hunt to play 15 as Brisbane City seem to have settled on him in that role and he has done well - let the guy settle in one position and show his capabilities!

They have to do a lot of training in the WWE and he'll do a lot of work in smaller shows before he even gets near a WWE event.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
1 Japanese international, 1 regular international, 1 development international for Brumbies, Tahs and Reds.

1 Japanese international, 2 regular internationals, 5 development internationals for Force and Rebels.

ARU can grant exemptions, and Japanese players can be regular internationals too.

So if you were to sign Goromaru, you would need an exemption to sign any other non australian player.

The rules might have changed since last time I checked though.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Thought you were allowed two.hope I'm not wrong because I'm still not convinced Mcintyre or Greene are Super Rugby starting 10's yet.

I am not fully convinced but it is rare for a player to have every desired skill.

After watching the Brisbane City side this season we at least know that Mcintyre can kick goals at higher percentage that most Reds players, he can kick for touch and on a very regular basis give an attacking line up 5 metres from the line.

I think he also defends better than our recent 10's.

He is not perfect but he does already have a good skill set that can be improved on.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm with you LB, pick the young 5/8's and build a team and gameplan that will take advantage of the teams strengths. Forget this big international search for a world class playmaker and double down on what we have in what will be a rebuilding year. Barnes, Will and Quade were pretty rough when they started in super rugby but they learned.

I'd rather a team dedicated to eachother and a cause rather than payday.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I am not fully convinced but it is rare for a player to have every desired skill.

After watching the Brisbane City side this season we at least know that Mcintyre can kick goals at higher percentage that most Reds players, he can kick for touch and on a very regular basis give an attacking line up 5 metres from the line.

I think he also defends better than our recent 10's.

He is not perfect but he does already have a good skill set that can be improved on.
I'm puzzled as to why anyone would select McInyre ahead of Greene.
I'd hardly say McIntyre has set the comp alight,despite being surrounded by the strongest squad in the comp,whereas Greener has performed strongly in a much weaker team.
IMO Greene's skills are superior,as is his reading of the game.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm puzzled as to why anyone would select McInyre ahead of Greene.
I'd hardly say McIntyre has set the comp alight,despite being surrounded by the strongest squad in the comp,whereas Greener has performed strongly in a much weaker team.
IMO Greene's skills are superior,as is his reading of the game.

That is the exact reason McIntyre is ahead of Greene. A lot of Greenes moments have been individual where as McIntyre actually creates shape for his outside men something Greene isn't just yet capable of doing at a consistent rate, tell me have you seen the way QLD Country have played? Structure, attacking shape and defensive shape?

His game management is poor, percentage plays, attacking decisions etc but he does have that rugby instinct in him that can see him do some good things at times. I'm not saying he is a bad player because he has shown the potential to be a great player. I just don't think, actually I know he is not ready for Super Rugby at this stage.
A few years of maturing and being settled into the program could potentially see him out gun McIntyre.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
McIntrye would work well with another playmaker at 12 or 15 sharing the load. Kind of like the Foley-Giteau for Wallabies or To'omua-Lealiafano for Brumbies.

But it'll likely be Kerevi at 12 and Hunt at fullback. Neither playmakers. We won't get much attacking opportunity via McIntyre on his own.

With Greene I think he'd work very well with those big outside backs. Anyone who's seen him play for Brothers knows how well he can unleash the wingers and fullbacks with his long passing. Not to mention he always looks for a second touch.

I'm very much in the Greene corner on this one, but in the end, I don't think we'll be seeing too much attacking opportunity from the Reds next year anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.