• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
EDIT: You state that you know the facts but won't share them and expect everyone else to believe you for some strange reason.

Knowing him personally I'd be a bit surprised if he didn't have some kind of inside line to what happened with MM and the Reds.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't doubt he may have an inside line and may well know the truth. The Rugby community is small here and seemingly everyone talks to everyone else.

It just irks me when people claim to know the truth and then speak from some self imposed position of authority but decline to share the actual truth. I just reckon it's a bit of a crappy thing to do.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Yeah it's a bit annoying but he probably doesn't want to expose his source of information to anyone else, which is generally the case if it's coming from inside a private organization.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it all comes down to he says she says anyway. My multiple sources (which I won't name) say one thing, Reds Happy's source says something else.

Each to their own.

I do try to make my own interpretations on players, regardless of their background. I am comfortable with my reading of Mason's play.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The next Reds under 20 flyhalf, Hamish Stewart might be a more promising than Mason. He's only a year behind.

Chasing Mason hard might have meant there was less chance of keeping Stewart the year after. It's hard to tell.

Clearly the Reds have made some pretty average choices with recruitment priorities in the last couple of years but it isn't certain that is continuing (although it may be).

Did the Reds necessarily keep McIntyre instead of pursuing Mason or did they opt not to chase Mason harder because it was decided that the priority was a year later with Stewart.

Maybe Stewart will be the next superstar Australian 10? Sometimes there is an element of luck involved. I think back to Phil Waugh becoming a Waratah and George Smith a Brumby. If they had finished school a year apart in the opposite direction, maybe that history would be the other way around?

It's a good point. I was also very impressed with Jake Strachan who started in one match for Brisbane City last year before getting injured. He is back playing well at club footy level now. He may be on the sleight side of things but has plenty of talent and heart.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Looked up Stewart up. Possesses what looks like good vision and a strong passing game. Uses both to put players into space. Able to work the angles when kicking for touch gaining good metres and apparently is able to actually tackle. Or so it appears from his highlight reel on YouTube. Wonder when we lose him overseas ala Sam Greene?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
For those interested:

He pulls of a neat little trick at :38, can't say I've ever seen someone manage that one during a match

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The next Reds under 20 flyhalf, Hamish Stewart might be a more promising than Mason. He's only a year behind.

Chasing Mason hard might have meant there was less chance of keeping Stewart the year after. It's hard to tell.

Clearly the Reds have made some pretty average choices with recruitment priorities in the last couple of years but it isn't certain that is continuing (although it may be).

Did the Reds necessarily keep McIntyre instead of pursuing Mason or did they opt not to chase Mason harder because it was decided that the priority was a year later with Stewart.

Maybe Stewart will be the next superstar Australian 10? Sometimes there is an element of luck involved. I think back to Phil Waugh becoming a Waratah and George Smith a Brumby. If they had finished school a year apart in the opposite direction, maybe that history would be the other way around?
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/4b8a2cb4f35bd7b4812f0c026cee8dab

Nice story the other day, I wont quote the lot but I was pleased to see this part
Toughness from his early footy life as a flanker, a cool head and all-round skills are a start for any No.10 but having a cannon right boot is what the Reds have been desperately short of.
The Stewart punt is a regular 50m-plus compared to McIntyre’s inconsistent kick which he has worked hard to upgrade from a popgun over the past two years.

The long kicking will be nice to see, could be handy in potentially wet weather conditions.

Allblacks

Frank Row (1)
Heard Strachan has been ripping it up this year in fact and that his buddy playing 9 isn't to be underestimated either

Strachan has just turned 20 has played 2 years premier colts and now in his second year of premier rugby. killed it last year and started on fire again this year.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I saw Mason play a few years ago now in that undefeated team. He was one a few very good standout players on the field that day, a couple of which went straight to League IIRR.

I must say I was surprised that Mason appeared on the Tahs roster as I was sure he would have been right at the top of the list for the Reds just from what I saw. Then again that great recruiting team of Cordingly and Graham were in charge and they were just absolutely amazing at identifying and retaining talent and achieving the best from the players.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Al I KNOW is that the real talent of a rugby player is ONLY solid once he starts playing Super rugby (or its equivalent)

You can wow 'em at schools, Prems and NRC and be a dud when you get to play with the big boys.

I've said it before that the Talent ID guys generally take the easy option. Pick the biggest strongest etc kid from the schools level and hope they continue to progress. That way hey do not face criticism for their selections when the kid doesn't make it. The way the "system" is ATM any dumb fuck could pick the players.

The real skill is looking at a lot more criteria than that - including trying to predict where that player will be in 2 or 3 years time with the development available.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Al I KNOW is that the real talent of a rugby player is ONLY solid once he starts playing Super rugby (or its equivalent)

You can wow 'em at schools, Prems and NRC and be a dud when you get to play with the big boys.

I've said it before that the Talent ID guys generally take the easy option. Pick the biggest strongest etc kid from the schools level and hope they continue to progress. That way hey do not face criticism for their selections when the kid doesn't make it. The way the "system" is ATM any dumb fuck could pick the players.

The real skill is looking at a lot more criteria than that - including trying to predict where that player will be in 2 or 3 years time with the development available.

Cheer up - from what I saw of the Reds U20s someone is doing some reasonable identification of talent - see how Stewart goes if he gets on. I hope he proves your pessimism misplaced.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah it's a bit annoying but he probably doesn't want to expose his source of information to anyone else, which is generally the case if it's coming from inside a private organization.

Indeed. Just like the vast majority of posters here and journalists elsewhere when they use or quote from parties they consider are providing accurate 'inside' and 'sensitive' information. That I may adopt the same stance here is hardly surprising.

What I would say is this: when I quoted numerous 'inside' sources anonymously here in the period when in these threads there was assembled a coterie of posters convinced RG was 'developing well' as head coach and that he was a 'really good bloke' and was 'rebuilding the team' etc, and these sources of mine painted a radically different picture, then I was typically shouted (or patronised) down here as 'spreading negativity' but the general gist of what I was being told turned out be precisely accurate and correctly predicted the multiple RG-induced disasters in man-management, player selection and recruitment, and game outcomes that sadly were to unfold and have left us with the rugby equivalent of a nuclear winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.