• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
While I have from the second they were appointed questioned the credentials of the coaching staff and used them as an example of everything wrong in Australian rugby, I must give credit where it is due.

Flicking Pickle from the 23 shows somebody is actually watching the games. In previous seasons there was no evidence of this at all.

Steve Doublesteve

Peter Burge (5)
McIntyre is so far from the required level, that I just can't understand why anyone rates him anywhere.

I am told though that Hamish Stewart is promising, so I look forward to seeing him play.

Is there anyone that would actually do a better job? not sure if you remember but King Quade was pretty average before his injury too...

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is there anyone that would actually do a better job? not sure if you remember but King Quade was pretty average before his injury too.

Quade's out on suspension not injury - but you're right he hasn't had a standout start to the season.

I'd rather Quade ease his way back in though than try full Quade mode from day 1 though....

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
From a comment in the Australian's Rugby section:
In the 52nd minute against the Hurricanes when the Reds were playing high speed, high skill, brilliant ball movement, exciting rugby and had the Hurricanes completely rattled, commentator Greg Martin asked Stiles in a live interview in the coaches box if this is what the coaches wanted and flabbergastingly, Stiles replied, 'no it wasn't'. The Reds players it appears were in fact 'going rogue' against Stiles instructions.

I missed the game. Is this an accurate analysis?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
From a comment in the Australian's Rugby section:
In the 52nd minute against the Hurricanes when the Reds were playing high speed, high skill, brilliant ball movement, exciting rugby and had the Hurricanes completely rattled, commentator Greg Martin asked Stiles in a live interview in the coaches box if this is what the coaches wanted and flabbergastingly, Stiles replied, 'no it wasn't'. The Reds players it appears were in fact 'going rogue' against Stiles instructions.

I missed the game. Is this an accurate analysis?
Judge for yourself

Interview is at 52:20 on YouTube, 42mins match time

(And you can probably judge the accuracy of the quote from the accuracy of the timestamp)

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Higginbotham has been great this year but his defensive read at 56:22 oozes fatigue and laziness. It's obvious that his man is the next guy and he jams in and makes a soft read opening up a whole heap of space. This puts McIntyre into an awful position having to sprint up and try make a 1-1 v Ardie Savea, which is a tough tackle in the bets of scenarios. What happens? He breaks 2 and offloads for the try.

Australian players consistently struggle to both have aggressive line speed AND the ability to read defensive patterns. NZ teams have both these aspects and it makes a huge huge difference.

In the reds backline alone, Kurindrani and Nabuli continually jam in off there wing causing headaches. This may be part of our defensive pattern, but if only 2 out 15 blokes do it, it is completely useless.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
So one thing has bugged me all week since the Canes game, I realise that the ruling about Perenara not tapping the ball on his feet and getting a second chance to do it right was correct but I am concerned it could be used in a legal but unethical way to get an advantage.

Perenara ran with the ball and made contact with Reds defensive players, then gets to do this again. The first contact is essentially a free shot.

Most teams have a player that the opposition would like to wear out as soon as possible. In our team this week I think the Brumbies would like to slow down Duncan Paia'aua.

What is to stop the Brumbies at every penalty giving the ball to a massive unit like Rory Arnold and him "accidentally" missing his foot and then sprinting at Paia'aua forcing a tackle then admitting he missed his foot and then having a proper penalty?

I realise that this would probably never happen and would be unethical but can it be stopped?

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anyone know if Houston's eye injury is the reason he's still out or was he just overlooked this week?

Korczyk's stats don't suggest he's demanding selection at 6.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What is to stop the Brumbies at every penalty giving the ball to a massive unit like Rory Arnold and him "accidentally" missing his foot and then sprinting at Paia'aua forcing a tackle then admitting he missed his foot and then having a proper penalty?

I realise that this would probably never happen and would be unethical but can it be stopped?

It only got looked at because he was a metre out and scored a try (well, attempted to score a try).

I think it would be very hard to orchestrate multiple times and unless you cause play to stop afterwards of a try review, you're not going to get to take it back to do again.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
A quote from the foxsports article today:

“It’s a kick up the backside because this has been a club that has let little things go unchecked but no longer,” Stiles said.

“We are changing the culture.

I'm pretty sure Stiles has been at the club for the past 3 seasons, including as HC last year. He was the HC of both Frisby and Ready for City for 2 years. And he was obviously dismayed at RGs approach to culture that he was happy to be his assistant for 6 years.
But now that yet another season is lost it's time to change the culture.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm pretty sure Stiles has been at the club for the past 3 seasons, including as HC last year. He was the HC of both Frisby and Ready for City for 2 years. And he was obviously dismayed at RGs approach to culture that he was happy to be his assistant for 6 years.
Bit of devil's advocate: we don't know how much control he had for the 13 games he was co-HC for last year. He may have been the de facto head assistant coach to MOC

And, according to RH, RG was running a dictatorship as Reds coach. Whether that includes over the assistants I have no idea

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Why do I get annoyed (maybe just getting old, happening a lot lately!) everytime someones refers to the Queensland Reds (and all the other super sides) as 'clubs'.

Your club is the Cods in Condamine or the Hogs at Helensvale or the Dragons at Sunnybank etc. Not the team with est 1882 and a large Q and Koala over your left chest. To my mind that is a representative team or at least should be and you have to earn the right to wear the colours.

If they want to call it a club fine but put the Reds logo over the chest and remove the Q, the Koala and est 1882.

We might then otherwise get a group of wise individuals who for arguments sake we will refer to as selectors and pick a merit based team from district and country clubs and let them wear the Q, the Koala and the est 1882. Reckon we might even get them to play in a maroon jersey.

Just a thought.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's hasn't been a representative team for over 20 years.

It's a professional sporting franchise that has to operate within a set of rules based around a certain number of contracted players and a salary cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.