• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Petaia has always been the victim of overhype since he started playing regularly against men. For his 10% X factor he has 60-70% poor ball handling/security, poor kicks, poor decision making and increasing lack of confidence; with the remaining 20-30% being just average. In the last game he looked lost/disinterested in the backplay. IMHO he does not warrant a place in Super Rugby in front of the guys who are performing consistently better and deserve their shot. I would send him back to QPR to develop his skills and confidence.

I agree Petaia is a victim of public hype, because I think people have an unreasonable expectation of what he should be doing and judge him based on their own expectations of the hype around him.

He is clearly down on a bit of confidence and form, but he is still in the top 4 for defenders beaten in the competition and still attracts the extra defence whenever he touches the ball, which enables the players around him to find space. This is the kids first year without any significant injury, coming off a pretty emotionally taxing 2020 for him. I think that needs to be considered.

Ball handling is an issue at the moment, too many forced passes and loose carries, if it weren’t for that I would have no issues with Petaias development trajectory.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I agree Petaia is a victim of public hype, because I think people have an unreasonable expectation of what he should be doing and judge him based on their own expectations of the hype around him.

He is clearly down on a bit of confidence and form, but he is still in the top 4 for defenders beaten in the competition and still attracts the extra defence whenever he touches the ball, which enables the players around him to find space. This is the kids first year without any significant injury, coming off a pretty emotionally taxing 2020 for him. I think that needs to be considered.

Ball handling is an issue at the moment, too many forced passes and loose carries, if it weren’t for that I would have no issues with Petaias development trajectory.

Petaia is definitely a X factor player who can make something happen but sure equally this season had some stuff not so good.
Without doubt judging him at high level as he is still one of the top players want in wallabies squad but at risk of missing starting gig because not as consistent as would like. Doubt many people would disagree talented footballer that one wants to see get it all together as we need players with X factor who can consistently deliver. Hopefully he will get it all together soon and over time reckon he will as agree this is first injury uninterrupted season he has had on top of losing his dad last year.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Defensively he has been good , which at mostly 13 is a fair complement.

It’s his decision making in attack and ball security that are causing the soft errors that are the source of frustration in how he is performing.

With Hunter’s form what it is , it’s a perfect time for Petaia to strip his game back, keep it simple and just act as all runner/ link man to those outside him. Doesn’t need to do something brilliant with every touch , just needs to do it well. Be part of the overall attacking play rather than the focus of it.

As far as the looking disinterested goes , genuinely think that’s just his manner. He does tend put his head down and look to mope, but he does that when things are going well, not just when he’s made a mistake. He’s not a puff the chest out sort of guy, even off the field he is like that.

He will turn it around , not sure time in QPR would help with the stripping it back part , he would likely be too dominant back in clubland.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, I really think Jordie could do with going back to the bench just to take all that pressure off, just let him play football. He's probably grown over the off-season hence being relatively uncoordinated, kids cop so much crap about being uncoordinated when they've just grown a lot. Imagine having your arms & legs get longer every few weeks... Just give him time keep him hanging around and he should come good.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, I really think Jordie could do with going back to the bench just to take all that pressure off, just let him play football. He's probably grown over the off-season hence being relatively uncoordinated, kids cop so much crap about being uncoordinated when they've just grown a lot. Imagine having your arms & legs get longer every few weeks. Just give him time keep him hanging around and he should come good.

His limbs are growing and potentially affecting his coordination? This is your best yet.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Is there any point in beating a defender if you then drop the ball and lose possession?

He is getting better, but earlier this season had a few occasions where he made the break through the front line of defence and then when getting tackled fumbled the ball or lost possession in a ruck.

He will be an exceptional player, but has a long way to go.

He has coachable problems and possesses a match winning skill set that cannot be coached into a player and this is a good combination.

Reactions: TSR

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
@Eastman do you actually think that growth spurts don't seriously effect coordination? He's 20 you don't stop growing until about 25, especially someone who's very physically gifted will likely have even more pronounced changed. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case, but it fits would explain how he can go from being so good one year then completely unco the next, this is a finely tuned athlete do you think lengthening his arms a few cm (not even the same lengths).

Having coached young elite athlete's in the past I can say from personal experience growth spurts can have serious effects on coordination, maybe this is what's effecting Jordies coordination maybe he's just got a lot going on in life and isn't focused, but growth spurt fits as well as anything else.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
One thing that I thought he did really well when he first started playing was run good lines and hit gaps at pace. He now seems to be trying to hit the defender and beat him with power before looking for an offload.

He also did fairly well at squaring the defender before looking for his inside or outside man (MK try he set up against England, for example). Haven't seen a lot of the basics from him this year.

As others have pointed out, his defense has been good which is often enough to get selected on in the 13 jersey. TK made a career out of being a good backline defender and organiser.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I’m glad we are finally talking about Petaia thru the lense of what he also brings to the team from a defensive perspective.

Too many armchair coaches have been commenting the past few weeks on this thread analysing one aspect of his game (the knock ons)

Don’t get me wrong, criticism is deserving of the young man... but coaches make lineup selections based on the whole skill set not just one area of a players game.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I think some perspective also needs to be given that, Jordie is being played next to a bloke who would probably be the inform back in Australia and arguably the best fly-half in Australia. (Brumbies fans note the keyword arguably).

It'd be hard to constantly be compared to what Hunter and James are doing. Keep Jordan at 13 or 14, but just make sure it's consistent time. The worst thing for him would be constantly chopping and changing positions each week.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yes but we also need to be conscious of what Petaia has primarily been asked to bring to the side.

TK was lauded because of his primary skill set was being a great defender and running hard lines in the middle of the field to get over the advantage line, recycle the ball quickly and go again. For years he played that role extremely well.

Petaia has been asked to provide a very different role. He's trying to create attacking opportunities with his hands and footwork, break the line, score try's. Being a consistent defender is fairly essential to playing 13 so the fact he's making his tackles shouldn't be a surprise.

If they're going to shift Petaia away from the attacking dynamo and into a different role that's totally fine, but currently he's not really providing what it looks like he's trying to do.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If Petaia was doing something vastly different to what is been asked of him then I’m sure the Reds coaches would have dropped him by now. Execution of that needs to obviously be improved though.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
If Petaia was doing something vastly different to what is been asked of him then I’m sure the Reds coaches would have dropped him by now. Execution of that needs to obviously be improved though.

That is exactly my point.

He's clearly TRYING to do what is being asked for him - but it isn't paying off. His hands are letting him down, his timing is off, execution is lacking.

Therefore, he's not really doing what is being asked. I think they've persisted with him TRYING for a while now. I wouldn't be surprised to see action taken soon.

If the Reds are happy enough with the defence to keep him, I think they need to change what he is doing in attack. Become more of that quick hitup and setup type player.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Personally I think he has had 2 poor games this year, 2 average games and 2 good ones. It was only 2 weeks ago he was in the team of the week
Totally agree. You have to remember the poor fella has had a tough 12-14 months with the loss of his father. Maybe a couple of club games would do him the world of good. Confidence and just plain out enjoying himself. Sometimes that’s all a player needs. Have a bit of fun with his mates.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
My biggest concern with Jordan Petaia is that he doesn't look happy. I hope that's just his introverted personality, but I don't know him so I can't be sure.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
My biggest concern with Jordan Petaia is that he doesn't look happy. I hope that's just his introverted personality, but I don't know him so I can't be sure.

Yeah I picked up on that recently. I panic and think he'll want to leave but not sure if playing in perpetual winter in France or UK will make one happier.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)

You can tell he holds himself to a very high standard, to the point that he beats himself up for every mistake. I do wonder how healthy that mindset is for such a young, high profile player.

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
I understand playing Jordy every week while we are winning to allow him time to get into his groove, but I think it's bench time. I think consistency is more valuable than the ability to do something that is amazing every few games. He has potential to be solid and great, but I don't understand the resistance to putting players on the bench just because they are wallabies or have a lot of hype. I agree, Jordy is a victim of public hype. He has the potential to be a great player and he is obviously already a good player, but coaches should be aware of mental health and the struggle to live up to incredible hype.