• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Does anyone have any idea why Blyth appears to be on the outer? I thought he and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) would have a very strong combo under their belts by the end of the SRAU comp. He has just disappeared, very little social media snaps now with him in it from the reds. I was under the impression he was one of the guys they were trying to build the pack around.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Does anyone have any idea why Blyth appears to be on the outer? I thought he and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) would have a very strong combo under their belts by the end of the SRAU comp. He has just disappeared, very little social media snaps now with him in it from the reds. I was under the impression he was one of the guys they were trying to build the pack around.

Only thought is that he is injured or heading overseas, I feel a disciplinary issue would have leaked by now.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He isn’t inured or leaving, he is still training with the Reds and playing on the weekend for Bond Uni. If it’s not him getting dropped it’s Uru or Smith, both of whom took their opportunities at Super Rugby level when offered

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
He isn’t inured or leaving, he is still training with the Reds and playing on the weekend for Bond Uni. If it’s not him getting dropped it’s Uru or Smith, both of whom took their opportunities at Super Rugby level when offered

You're suggesting Smith has performed better than Blyth?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You're suggesting Smith has performed better than Blyth?

I don't think Blyth was playing very well, he certainly wasn't playing to his potential or a reflection of the length of time he has been in the system.

Smith on the other hand is a part-time player who still has a day job, yet performed to the same standard if not better, i think that's the kind of effort which Thorn likes to reward.

I expect Blyth has been given a few areas of his game to work on in club land, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Blyth back this week.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If I had to guess I'd say Blyth's biggest issue is on field discipline - he can be a bit loose at times and the Reds have worked hard to get the penalties out of their game. It's arguably the same reason Daugunu was dropped to the bench.

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
I don't think Blyth was playing very well, he certainly wasn't playing to his potential or a reflection of the length of time he has been in the system.

Smith on the other hand is a part-time player who still has a day job, yet performed to the same standard if not better, i think that's the kind of effort which Thorn likes to reward.

I expect Blyth has been given a few areas of his game to work on in club land, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Blyth back this week.

Looking at Stats Adam, that is not the case, Blyth topped his last game with 12 tackles v the Force . I would comment that in the first few rounds, all players weren't reaching their potential and they scraped through with a few close wins. Smith hasn't had a strong defensive game, which is what you need to support the running game of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). Smiths defensive game is average via stats,and his run game is average via stats. If you are going to replace 2 years of experience with 3 games, i would reckon you want those stats to be exceptional. They are not.
Smith hasn't even got a line out throw yet, his first game was against the last placed Waratahs. If you are up agains the line out kings (Brumbies) I don't see that the three starts that Smith has had, is a stepping stone above the 23 caps earned through hardship Blyth has worked towards. If Blyth has things to work on in his game, hard to understand why he has not been given an opportunity to do that, he has just not been seen since.

And yes...DCTARGET..."You're suggesting Smith has performed better than Blyth?". on stats, it simply isn't true.
Lets hope sanity prevails and the players with that hard fought experience are picked for the GF.

Reactions: dru

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
If I had to guess I'd say Blyth's biggest issue is on field discipline - he can be a bit loose at times and the Reds have worked hard to get the penalties out of their game. It's arguably the same reason Daugunu was dropped to the bench.

Penalties
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) - 5 in 6 starting games
Smith - 3 in 3 starting games
Uru - 2 in 2 starting games
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) - 2 in 2 starting games where he played as lock
Blyth 2 in 4 starting games

Stats don't support that theory. Blyth has the lowest penalties per game.

Daugunu was dropped cause his defence was wanting. Tries scored down his wing needed addressing.

Reactions: dru

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Penalties
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) - 5 in 6 starting games
Smith - 3 in 3 starting games
Uru - 2 in 2 starting games
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) - 2 in 2 starting games where he played as lock
Blyth 2 in 4 starting games

Stats don't support that theory. Blyth has the lowest penalties per game.

I'd suggest stats aren't a great insight into penalties, not all penalties are equal in terms of impact or how they arise. But more to the point I'd say it's a reputation he built last year, so it wouldn't take many mistakes for it to be seen as a problem this year.

Could be plenty of other reasons, just offering some potential ones.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Looking at Stats Adam, that is not the case, Blyth topped his last game with 12 tackles v the Force . I would comment that in the first few rounds, all players weren't reaching their potential and they scraped through with a few close wins. Smith hasn't had a strong defensive game, which is what you need to support the running game of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). Smiths defensive game is average via stats,and his run game is average via stats. If you are going to replace 2 years of experience with 3 games, i would reckon you want those stats to be exceptional. They are not.
Smith hasn't even got a line out throw yet, his first game was against the last placed Waratahs. If you are up agains the line out kings (Brumbies) I don't see that the three starts that Smith has had, is a stepping stone above the 23 caps earned through hardship Blyth has worked towards. If Blyth has things to work on in his game, hard to understand why he has not been given an opportunity to do that, he has just not been seen since.

And yes.DCTARGET."You're suggesting Smith has performed better than Blyth?". on stats, it simply isn't true.
Lets hope sanity prevails and the players with that hard fought experience are picked for the GF.

You’ve been very selective on stats there.
Anyway stats tell one story, reality is the Reds forwards pack and set piece was touched against the Force in the game you’ve mentioned, and nowhere more evident was that then in the second row and line out.

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'd suggest stats aren't a great insight into penalties, not all penalties are equal in terms of impact or how they arise. But more to the point I'd say it's a reputation he built last year, so it wouldn't take many mistakes for it to be seen as a problem this year.

Could be plenty of other reasons, just offering some potential ones.

OK, got it. Stats, being actual penalties aren't actual penalties because there could be a theory that the penalties shouldn't have been penalties... except they were penalties and counted. After the first 4 games this season, with the lowest penalty count, you reckon last season's theory on penalties would count for more. Sure/Not.

Do you want me to do penalty stats for other players... its interesting. I can put up TT's but that doesn't seem to be a problem for him.
The relativity we are talking about is Blyth v Smith v Uru v ASY (Angus Scott-Young) v LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) for the lock spots and the penalty count/lack of discipline is not a factor.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
rugbyontherange I can’t help but notice a large number of your posts seem to be about Blyth and how good he is, going right back to his TSS Schoolboy Days, are you related or a friend?

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
You’ve been very selective on stats there.
Anyway stats tell one story, reality is the Reds forwards pack and set piece was touched against the Force in the game you’ve mentioned, and nowhere more evident was that then in the second row and line out.

No, not selective on stats. They are the stats.
Reds won the first game v Force , at home, Round 4. Blyth was playing. They were not touched up on set piece or line outs.
R8 v Force over in WA, they had LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) playing lock in round 8 away at WA. They were completely touched up in line outs, scrums, go forward etc.
Not ASY (Angus Scott-Young)'s fault, he was a 6 who was asked to play lock. He did a record 18 tackles, yet we were still touched up in every aspect of the forwards play. And had our first loss of the season. Completely folded under the pressure. It was a clear example of the power of the Lock position and why it is one of the highest paid positions in the northern hemisphere comps.

My comments and statistical feedback, (so not just opinion) are on the back of the other comments from punters who cannot understand the lock selections of Smith over Blyth. There was a great complimentary pairing of Blyth and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) developing. I'm happy to get on the Smith support crew if anyone can give me a good reason to do so, I'm sure he is a great lad with plenty off potential, but 3 starts and average stats, doesn't give any credibility leading in to a GF. Can anyone explain what has happened, cause going in to the GF, the nerves start to rise and you want your experienced guys there.

Just asking like everyone else and trying to provide some stats to support, or rule out "misguided" opinion.

And I'm already on the bandwagon, Tate for 80mins!

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
rugbyontherange I can’t help but notice a large number of your posts seem to be about Blyth and how good he is, going right back to his TSS Schoolboy Days, are you related or a friend?

Been a junior forwards coach for many years, know a lot of the reds lads from younger days, so supportive of this crew coming through. Through friends of friends and rugby connections i know bits of what is going on. Clearly not much, as I am asking the same questions as everyone else. There are at least 6 posts asking the same question about Blyth, not started by me.

I have read lots on this forum over the years but don't comment often. Often surprised at the ignorance of comments but also understand pure passion. On occasions I have spoken out as the comments are so far from the truth, as do others.
Its the first Reds GF in 10 years, happy to be over excited and defs overstudy and prepare for such huge events.
Its a career habit.
I think my last comment about K Thomas was smashed by Reg, who threw a complete tantrum , so weird, and i have shared opinion/passion about other positions. Obviously Rugby Reg is K Thomas's godparent, who knew. And Adam84, I had you picked as a Reds supporter and you commented about Blyth. I joined the comment and now its about me? wow, I thought you must have known them as your comments about the Blyth boys have always been supportive.
Clearly its not a forum for people generally passionate about rugby, its a private forum for a select few who feel their views are more valid than any others in the QLD rugby fraternity.
Got it.
Will show my passion by screaming for the Reds GF next weekend.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Been a junior forwards coach for many years, know a lot of the reds lads from younger days, so supportive of this crew coming through. Through friends of friends and rugby connections i know bits of what is going on. Clearly not much, as I am asking the same questions as everyone else. There are at least 6 posts asking the same question about Blyth, not started by me.

I have read lots on this forum over the years but don't comment often. Often surprised at the ignorance of comments but also understand pure passion. On occasions I have spoken out as the comments are so far from the truth, as do others.
Its the first Reds GF in 10 years, happy to be over excited and defs overstudy and prepare for such huge events.
Its a career habit.
I think my last comment about K Thomas was smashed by Reg, who threw a complete tantrum , so weird, and i have shared opinion/passion about other positions. Obviously Rugby Reg is K Thomas's godparent, who knew. And Adam84, I had you picked as a Reds supporter and you commented about Blyth. I joined the comment and now its about me? wow, I thought you must have known them as your comments about the Blyth boys have always been supportive.
Clearly its not a forum for people generally passionate about rugby, its a private forum for a select few who feel their views are more valid than any others in the QLD rugby fraternity.
Got it.
Will show my passion by screaming for the Reds GF next weekend.

I was just asking since I remember you making some specific comments about Blyth previously and I have been in a similar position.
I don’t know Angus personally but he seems like a good kid, he seems like the kind who would just prefer his rugby do the talking.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Let's play the ball not the man... Attack the ideas not the person. Obviously everyone is pretty into the season at this point. We've got TONES of people wiring really long messages (yeah I'm probably the number one offender on that one), that must take a really long time to write let alone research (as some are). Let's just try to remember, these players are people, the coaches are people, in the end it's just a game, no one is going to die, and if you've got sheep stations on the outcome then you probably have a gambling addiction or something. Get that checked out!

I do think it's been curious about Blyth's absence, but obviously the coaches have their reasons. Regardless I don't recall the last time the Reds had this much buzz about them.