• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Sorry not everyone can be like the tahs, sacrificing a main sponsor just so their fans can buy clean skin jerseys
2FD3F542-C197-4F16-966D-EF31DF7FDFB9.jpeg

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Reds hit some form last night. Thought they were stumbling along in the first two games.
I’ve not been a fan of Stewart at 12 but was impressed last night. I liked how the Reds mixed up where the backline stood.
JOC (James O'Connor) was sublime.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reds hit some form last night. Thought they were stumbling along in the first two games.
I’ve not been a fan of Stewart at 12 but was impressed last night. I liked how the Reds mixed up where the backline stood.
JOC (James O'Connor) was sublime.

I've not been a fan of Stewart at first receiver but also was impressed. The combination of JOC (James O'Connor)-Stewart is really paying back.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Who also can play at first receiver and does quite often.

I agree with your assessment on his general ability. And this started with my saying the combination through first receiver with JOC (James O'Connor) is going brilliantly.

Sounds like adversarial agreement.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If the recovery timeline of Vunivalu is to be believe, I'd expect him to by available for selection this week, or at the latest next week. Anything after Round 5 in a 14 Round competition probably isn't considered early in the season, as has been communicated.

I think if he comes back and is firing, the Reds could look really good. JOC (James O'Connor) has some nice variation in his game, even before the Force game I thought some of his option taking when looking wide was good.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If the recovery timeline of Vunivalu is to be believe, I'd expect him to by available for selection this week, or at the latest next week. Anything after Round 5 in a 14 Round competition probably isn't considered early in the season, as has been communicated.

I think if he comes back and is firing, the Reds could look really good. JOC (James O'Connor) has some nice variation in his game, even before the Force game I thought some of his option taking when looking wide was good.
Looks like we'll be waiting a bit longer :(:
The Reds are also without backrower Angus Scott-Young (knee), while there is no clear timeline on the return of first-choice hooker Alex Mafi (neck) and flying winger Suliasi Vunivalu (hamstring) is still several weeks away from his latest comeback.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
He's cooked boys.

I don't see RA retaining him either at this rate, sounds like we won't see him until we start playing the kiwi teams.
Cracking player, but his retention is untenable at this point, right? I certainly won't complain about having him back for the kiwis though

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Cracking player, but his retention is untenable at this point, right? I certainly won't complain about having him back for the kiwis though

If the Reds keep winning games, the blokes on the park need to be rewarded, which means less room for him to return as well.

I'm genuinely disappointed about the Vunivalu situation. I think when he's fit, he makes the Reds backline so much more dangerous. There aren't many strike wingers in Australian rugby who can provide his impact. But his window to show that talent is closing quickly.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
When fit, he is an athlete who provides a point of difference, and if he managed to stay fit i dont doubt he would nail down a starting position in the Wallabies and be a real star at test level.

Problem is... he hasn't been fit for any consistent period in the past 2 years.. how long do you invest hoping he can rectify his hamstrings

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
When fit, he is an athlete who provides a point of difference, and if he managed to stay fit i dont doubt he would nail down a starting position in the Wallabies and be a real star at test level.

Problem is... he hasn't been fit for any consistent period in the past 2 years.. how long do you invest hoping he can rectify his hamstrings
If Rennie really wanted to see what he could do, there is a chance he may have been offered a one year deal for 2023 with a small RA top up.

BUT I think this opportunity may be gone as I see Perese has signed a new deal this week which includes an RA top up.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Did he have injury problems before coming across?

I've run the numbers last year when he first got injured and the complaints started,

During his time in the NRL he played something like 84% of all eligible games (including finals which the Storm made many times).

So essentially, no real injury problems before the Reds, although his last year at the Storm was his most injury prone, so the signs were there.