• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Darren Coleman has much more experience then just the Shute Shield though, he has coached professionally in 3 other countries before taking the Tahs role.

Coleman also had success across multiple SS teams, including those which aren’t traditional heavy weights. Heenan never won with GPS before taking the UQ role.
UQ were a shit show before Heenan arrived. The club made quite a few changes at the same time around a variety of aspects of the club and culture. Heenan was a big part of instilling and enforcing that.

Also the turnover rate at UQ is also exceptionally high, he manages to take a new group through to finals/GF almost every year he has been there. I think he deserves more credit that you give him in this statement.

Skillwise he is ready to be a pro coach, the question is does he want to.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I'm not proposing he be head coach of the Reds next yeaf however his achievements over the past decade are quite remarkable, on and off the field.

I believe he would be a success at any professional Rugby organisation. I think time will tell if that is going to be in Australia or somewhere else when the time is right.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
UQ were a shit show before Heenan arrived. The club made quite a few changes at the same time around a variety of aspects of the club and culture. Heenan was a big part of instilling and enforcing that.

Also the turnover rate at UQ is also exceptionally high, he manages to take a new group through to finals/GF almost every year he has been there. I think he deserves more credit that you give him in this statement.

Skillwise he is ready to be a pro coach, the question is does he want to.

I agree Heenan is a great coach and well respected.

But he's also at a very privileged club. What he did to make UQ into the club they are today, is quite special. But these days UQ is definitely one of the destination clubs in the QPR. They might get high turnover, but they also receive a huge influx of new players each season.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't try and sell him off like he makes something out of nothing each year, he has the talent these days to match his level of coaching.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I agree Heenan is a great coach and well respected.

But he's also at a very privileged club. What he did to make UQ into the club they are today, is quite special. But these days UQ is definitely one of the destination clubs in the QPR. They might get high turnover, but they also receive a huge influx of new players each season.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't try and sell him off like he makes something out of nothing each year, he has the talent these days to match his level of coaching.
I disagree. People often think UQ is just another Sydney Uni, it is not and the place has plenty of challenges other clubs have to deal with as well of plenty of issues other clubs do not have to deal with. However that is off topic, and a topic which has been done to death elsewhere.

Every club receives a influx of new players each year, if you think UQ is getting "higher quality" ones perhaps that is because of his coaching and related to a culture he nurtures... not because of the club itself?

I would also argue that from what I've seen, over the past couple years in particularly, that other clubs have had better talent / names and haven't been able to pull it together.

Like I said above, he won't be the Reds coach next year, and nor do I think he should be. However a better qualified club coach I do not think you'll find anywhere in QLD (or Aus).

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I disagree. People often think UQ is just another Sydney Uni, it is not and the place has plenty of challenges other clubs have to deal with as well of plenty of issues other clubs do not have to deal with. However that is off topic, and a topic which has been done to death elsewhere.

Every club receives a influx of new players each year, if you think UQ is getting "higher quality" ones perhaps that is because of his coaching and related to a culture he nurtures... not because of the club itself?

I would also argue that from what I've seen, over the past couple years in particularly, that other clubs have had better talent / names and haven't been able to pull it together.

Like I said above, he won't be the Reds coach next year, and nor do I think he should be. However a better qualified club coach I do not think you'll find anywhere in QLD (or Aus).
I never said UQ are on their own in terms of player influx, but they are definitely one of the destination clubs in the QPR, or would you dispute that?

I gave Heenan credit for helping create that, but it’s also easier to stay on top when you’re in a good setup.

Would Heenan have been able to turn Norths into a powerhouse if he spent the last 5 years there? Quite possibly, with the players he would attract. That is my point, he’s got such a good record and reputation because he’s fostered it at UQ, we haven’t seen him extend past that.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That’s the problem, Reds don’t need a club coach

Nup.

The problem is that for the Reds to be sustainable, they need to find a pathway to transform excellent club coaches into Super. It doesn't happen simply by an international search for a coach outside of Q but with a Q connection. There is a missing ingredient there. Or two.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the QRU give Heehan the next local stepping stone with the Brisbane City nrc team?

Bit out of their control the comp was canned.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the QRU give Heehan the next local stepping stone with the Brisbane City nrc team?

Bit out of their control the comp was canned.
Aside from Thorn running QLD country, I’m fairly sure most of the QPR coaches were given roles within those NRC teams i.e. they had a panel of coaches.

I’m not sure the intention was to be progressing those guys into professional roles, moreso giving them experience in a more professional environment to aid development, it also made sense not to hire externally for that comp. A couple of them did dip their toes into pro roles though after that.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aside from Thorn running QLD country, I’m fairly sure most of the QPR coaches were given roles within those NRC teams i.e. they had a panel of coaches.

I’m not sure the intention was to be progressing those guys into professional roles, moreso giving them experience in a more professional environment to aid development, it also made sense not to hire externally for that comp. A couple of them did dip their toes into pro roles though after that.

Don't know who assistant coached QLD Country in the first year.

NRC.JPG

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Good analysis Reg,

Looks like a pretty even spread with UQ, GPS, Souths, Sunnybank and Easts featuring over a number of seasons, along with some pathways coaches.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Next step for a club coach to progress domestically through to professionalism, besides from a defunct NRC is to apply for an assistant coach role at one of the Super Rugby teams, or take over the U20s/High Performance role like Gilmore/Cron. Alternatively take an overseas gig which a number of current coaches like Coleman, McKellar and the incoming Cron have all done.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)

Absolutely fascinating interview with JOC (James O'Connor), starting at about the 18 minute mark. It's a testament to his quality as a player that he's still relevant to Aus rugby after spending time in every position from 10-15. You wonder what he could have done if he'd stayed at wing/fullback. He's clearly a resilient guy.

Reactions: gel

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
He moved from these positions as he lost a bit of pace and willingness to kick due to injuries. His shift to 10/centres has been a fruitful one, and I’m not sure he would still be playing at the level he is, had he remained on the wing/fullback.
Absolutely he was a world class outside back in his day.

Now he’s done his best to transform into an inside back in order to prolong his career but I wish his attitude/ body had held up better when he was younger.